You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

waxitman
11 September 2018 11:48 am

Hello all. I'm new to prospecting and first forum post. I've been lurking here for a while though.

My plan is to 3D print a battery cartridge for my tdi which will allow a cordless drill 18v Li-ion battery to clip on below the control box. Inside the battery compartment will be a cheapo buck down converter set at ~16v and an led voltmeter. This is to improve performance, run time and I think the balance will be better also. Mine is slightly heavy at the coil end with the MJD 8x12 which came with it. I'd also like to run a larger coil once I start to find some yellow. The heavier battery should improve this somewhat.

1536626845_1536626767958189.jpg

My question is will the buck down converter and volt meter create electrical noise being so close to the circuits of the detector? One more thing, how much can I safely discharge my Li-ion batteries? Would 80% (20.8v down to 16.6) from full charge be safe for long term use?

If successful I will post .stl files and bom here for others to use. I'm also working on a design for a hand pump (65mm PVC with dual check valves and hose to bucket)for those who like to get their hands wet big_smile The .stl and bom for that will also appear here if it works out.

Thanks for your time and comments.

2 users like this post: 7.62marksman, Mirrors

Jaros
11 September 2018 12:17 pm

Good luck with the projects. Show us the end product if you can with a few pics.
Jaros

Lottsa hope :F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Aldi detector, ? detector, Garmin Etrex30, 2 sieves,2 pans,2 sluices, Nugget sniffing Cocker Spaniel. X-Pointer PI by Deteknix, Nokta RS Pinpointer, Jobe Knife, Leschke Shovel, Pro-swing 45 Harness, Treasuremate 11 Amp.Gurney gusunder. VK4NLS

Eski
11 September 2018 10:40 pm

careful with that, the inductor style power supplies can make detector unstable. i would test first before going to the effort.

waxitman
12 September 2018 03:23 pm

Eski wrote:

careful with that, the inductor style power supplies can make detector unstable. i would test first before going to the effort.

Thanks for the warning. Is it likely to damage the detector if I try it out?

Occasional_panner
12 September 2018 06:58 pm

No, it won't damage it, well very unlikey, the emi from the inductor will be creating a small magnetic field, but more of a worry is the frequency it will be running at which would be sending emi into the circuit of the detector.
Honestly it's probably not a great idea, why not just make up another battery pack from some cells?

waxitman
12 September 2018 07:20 pm

I had all those parts sitting around so it would have been a cheap upgrade. It looks like bigger cells go on the wish list. I may still try an inside/outside cartridge with 18650's to get the voltage, capacity and extra weight that I wanted.

Thanks for pointing that out and saving me the trouble.

Last edited by waxitman (12 September 2018 07:23 pm)

Occasional_panner
13 September 2018 09:40 am

You could always test it before going to the trouble of 3d printing a case etc.
If you were going to, mount the buck at the very rear behind the battery and fit a choke to the output like these https://www.jaycar.com.au/u15-ferrite-v … 2/p/LF1294

But still it's turning a simple idea of a battery pack into a complicated one that may compromise the machines effectiveness.

What voltage do you need?
Perhaps something here may be of use?? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-c … eries.html

Eski
23 September 2018 03:28 pm

Was just about to ask that.... What voltage/what detector.?

there are li-ion cells with self shutdown - i would use 4 of these in a gpx... but
for a gp/sd i would use self shutdown Li-Fe... Due to voltage.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site