Citrine from Stanifer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1537579379_imag4535_1.jpg

After detecting a bit and not finding much
decided to have a dig and found these two gems.

1537604704_20180922_150435.jpg

This is a broken piece of Citrine we found at Stannifer a few months back. Only piece we found in a few hours.

Cheers

RS

Very generous. Will do. As this is a freely available website its very wise not to share spots publicly. We gave all seen our spots trashed by others leaving undug holes etc etc.

Always astounded at how people can just walk away and leave huge unfilled holes everywhere. One thing that annoys me is lazy people.

Cheers

RS

trying to imagine a scale for those would that long one be about 3 to 4 inches long .
heading almost to there next weekend wont be doing any fossicking though thinking of going to the emmaville bash .oh hang on i think there is a bit of a fossick available might go on one of those trips .

johno

RockRat said:
your probably correct, it is quiet a light
yellowish in better lighting, nice stone
never the less, i would like to see it cut. :Y:

If quartz is yellow, I'd tend to call it citrine. Gem rough dealers do. On my monitor the one on the left looks to have a yellowish tint though it also looks a bit smoky-ish.

They do tend to overlap and exactly where the division between one kind and another is could be a bit difficult to nail down. I,ve found/cut smokies that are transparent grey, various shades of brown and a smoky gold-yellow. The first two types I'd definately call smoky but the third I'd probably describe as smoky citrine. I've also found many amethyst crystals at Lowmead that have a very definate smoky tone to them - yet they are also definately strongly purple. They appear a mixture of smoky quartz and amethyst and have a distinct smoky-bronze-purple colour.

That's just my thoughts anyway. They usually look nice faceted regardless. :)

Latest posts