You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

PhaseTech
Phase Technical
Phase Technical
30 August 2018 12:20 am

Yes agree with Ship Of Fools, the Evo coils are brilliant on the TDI's, as is the Detech 11" Ultra. I'd say for hotter soils I'd go the 12" round, but if you want a bit more Sensitivity the 14x9" is the go. Haven't used the 12x8" Evo on a TDI yet but assume it would go great too, but maybe not in real bad ground?

Agent for Minelab, Nugget Finder, Nokta & Makro, Quest, Detech, SteelPhase - Phase Technical Website

2 users like this post: Greglz86, Ship of fools

Greglz86
30 August 2018 10:34 am

Well I ripped the band aid off and purchased a Sadie. Should be here before my trip out next weekend.
The reason I chose a Sadie ove a larger coil is simply the size is more suited to the terrain I plan to detect

4 users like this post: grubstake, PhaseTech, Ship of fools, DrDuck

Greglz86
09 September 2018 06:58 pm

Well it works. I used the advice mentioned on this forum from time to time in regards to keeping the threshold just off audible.
Gain as high as it could go.
Kept the pulse delay at 10.
Target conductivity on low.
Frequency at whatever seemed to work. Their was only one position it didn’t help at all. The best position seemed to be as far from that spot as possible. Ended up being all the way to the left.
Ground balancing was a pain in the bum. But I stayed patient and i seem to be doing it right.
The Sadie is good but I’ll be looking into something that has a little more ground coverage in the future.
Running the threshold quite had me constantly wondering if it was ground balanced correctly or even turned on at times but the occasional target kept me interested. I would have been happier if I was picking up bits of bird shot and the usual small junk as I’m starting to think I’ve possibly missed smaller bits. Probably from not keeping ground balanced as often as I should.
All in all I’m happy with the outcome
1536479902_9463a343-cdc2-4c5d-ba17-a6fecf97df31.jpg
1536479903_2bc5bf58-55f3-4c7e-89fe-a50b915119ee.jpg

10 users like this post: ProspectorPete, grubstake, mbasko, robmoto, Ridge Runner, Heatho, numpty, Ship of fools, Wishfull, DrDuck

ProspectorPete
09 September 2018 07:03 pm

Well done Greg, pretty good results and some great lessons learned too by the sounds of it, you must be pretty happy perfect

1 user likes this post: Greglz86

Greglz86
09 September 2018 07:06 pm

Also this is the first time I’ve taken a detector out and brought something home on its first day. So I’m pretty stoked about that smile

4 users like this post: grubstake, ProspectorPete, Ridge Runner, Ship of fools

Ridge Runner
10 September 2018 12:33 am

Congrats, keeping the threshold so you can only just hear it is the key, Coiltek make a nice 14" coil for the soley for the TDI and it seems pretty good.

Dig em all,

Heatho
10 September 2018 08:48 am

Nice piece Greg well done. thumbsup

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

Ship of fools
10 September 2018 01:23 pm

That’s a nice piece! Well done.
The ground balance is fairly simple, if it’s quiet you have it right, if you get a low tone turn it down (just a bit), if it’s a high tone turn it up. Some spots get a bit tricky with both hot and cold ground very close together but a I think a good target will still be heard.
Matt T

Fools go where angels fear to tred.
HMV $5k, White Tdi, Garrett’s Infiinium and Max, XP mi-4 pinpointer, pots, pans, picks, shovels, and a lot of blurred thinking!

DrDuck
10 September 2018 03:30 pm

Great stuff Greggles!

High banker, sluice, pans sieves &etc. Makro Multi Kruzer, Deteknix Xpointer Pro. NAPFA member.

Greglz86
10 September 2018 07:46 pm

Thanks guys thumbsup

Ridge Runner wrote:

Congrats, keeping the threshold so you can only just hear it is the key, Coiltek make a nice 14" coil for the soley for the TDI and it seems pretty good.

I tried a few things when our yesterday in regards to the threshold but each had a problem that I suspected was stopping me from using it at it’s full potential.
One thing I tried was keeping the threshold at a low hum. However I had to reduce the gain significantly to reduce the warbling. The frequency knob did bugger all to help
I tried then turning the threshold up so is was passed the warbling and seemed to be working ok but was suspecting I was missing smaller targets.
Having the threshold run just off audible seemed to be the way to go yesterday. Probably not ideal To only do that in the future.
I would like to try and get more gain when operating it with a low hum. Is this something that the mod would help fix.

Greglz86
10 September 2018 07:54 pm

Ship of fools wrote:

That’s a nice piece! Well done.
The ground balance is fairly simple, if it’s quiet you have it right, if you get a low tone turn it down (just a bit), if it’s a high tone turn it up. Some spots get a bit tricky with both hot and cold ground very close together but a I think a good target will still be heard.
Matt T

Cheers mate.
Yep there were a few times I realised it wasn’t set up right when I found myself digging phantom targets. The worst was the wet clay/mud that was a few inches down in some spots. I’d try the ground in the bank and creek and consistently found myself digging up lumps of wet stuff that gave off a pretty strong signal. One stage I even had it in my scoop then every time I reduced the dirt by half the signal would reduce as well. Then I had two targets argh

Ship of fools
11 September 2018 01:18 pm

You do have to spend a lot of time digging!
A thing I do to help identify hot spots of dirt is Pinpoint, if it doesn't pin point accuratly it's hot dirt or multiple targets, clear an inch off the top so your coil is closer, if the signal gets stronger then your on! If not it probably hot dirt (Don't let me tell you not to dig, I may be walking away from gold!)
Matt T

HMV $5k, White Tdi, Garrett’s Infiinium and Max, XP mi-4 pinpointer, pots, pans, picks, shovels, and a lot of blurred thinking!

Ridge Runner
11 September 2018 09:40 pm

Greglz86 wrote:

Thanks guys thumbsup

Ridge Runner wrote:

I tried a few things when our yesterday in regards to the threshold but each had a problem that I suspected was stopping me from using it at it’s full potential.
One thing I tried was keeping the threshold at a low hum. However I had to reduce the gain significantly to reduce the warbling. The frequency knob did bugger all to help
I tried then turning the threshold up so is was passed the warbling and seemed to be working ok but was suspecting I was missing smaller targets.
Having the threshold run just off audible seemed to be the way to go yesterday. Probably not ideal To only do that in the future.
I would like to try and get more gain when operating it with a low hum. Is this something that the mod would help fix.

To get the Pro to quieten down you might have to select Low or High conductivity but "Not" ALL, the Pro gets very noisy when set to ALL. Then try and tune the frequency control then you can run the Gain up higher, I use to be able to run my Pro in ALL in the city and it was very stable indeed, The SL is a whole different beast, Nothing seems to phase the SL even in Thunder Storms in the City they still behave, But I use to be able to run my Pro flat out in ALL in the City which is pretty rare, but don't be too worried if you have to turn the Gain down because you won't loose too much depth, Ok.

One odd thing is that the Pro goes deeper when you run it with the GB turned off where conditions allow like on the Beach but the SL goes deeper with the GB turned on On the beach.

How that helps.

Dig em all,

2 users like this post: Ship of fools, Greglz86

Greglz86
20 September 2018 09:51 pm

Hey guys. For those who use the 12 inch evo on the tdi. How well do you guys go in regards to sub gram nuggets? Whats your smallest bit?

Ridge Runner
20 September 2018 11:45 pm

I don't know mate I have never used one of their coils

Dig em all,

Greglz86
21 September 2018 10:12 am

I was concerned that I was missing small bits because I wasn’t finding lead shot that I seem to find everywhere else.
However I had a poke through the manual last night. This could be because I was mainly running the machine low conductivity and lead is more conducive than gold.
I could be wrong, I’m far from an experienced detectorist but next time I’m out I’ll be playing with some of the balls I have at home and playing with the high , low and all settings.

Ridge Runner
21 September 2018 10:42 am

No that's not the problem , or how the TDI works,

when you set it to low it will pick up nuggets up to 1/2 oz depending where you have the GB and the Delay set to, but when you have the delay set to 10us it will find Gold, It is the size of the target that decides whether it is high or low conductive although the metal type can also effect how it reads the Item along with the depth, so a large deep target can respond as a low conductor but where you have to be careful is when you hear a low conductor and after you remove some dirt then the signal vanishes, that's when you need to flick over the HIGH and double check the target because it could be a large lump of trash or a large nugget. So you need to make that judgement when to find an iffy target that changes it's report/signal from Low to High as you get deeper.

As long as you have the delay set to 10us and the CON switch set to Low you will be fine, The factory Whites coils for the TDI's are blind as a bat so you need either the Miner John Coils or the Coiltek Coils or get one of the hotter Nugget Finder coils. But don't even bother with the Whites 7.5" Coil because it is as blind as the 12"DF coil and it has the same sort of depth, The Duel Field coils struggle to see soild bits weighing less than 0.12+ grams, Squash em flat and it will see them, so always use after market coils on the TDI's, Ok.

hope that helps.

Last edited by Ridge Runner (21 September 2018 10:44 am)

Dig em all,

Greglz86
21 September 2018 11:09 am

Thanks for your help mate.
My questions feel as silly asking as they probably appear reading so your patients with me is greatly appreciated.
I guess all that’s left for meis to find the time to get out and put in the hours.
Been busting to get back out to the spot I picked up that last nugget.

Greglz86
21 September 2018 11:16 am

Also have the 12 inch evo on its way for my next outing next weekend. I’ll report back here for show and tell wink

Ridge Runner
21 September 2018 11:23 am

Greglz86 wrote:

Thanks for your help mate.
My questions feel as silly asking as they probably appear reading so your patients with me is greatly appreciated.
I guess all that’s left for meis to find the time to get out and put in the hours.
Been busting to get back out to the spot I picked up that last nugget.

Mate you have to ask them because there is not one perfect answer for any of them and ground conditions can change everything,

One thing to remember is the only stupid question is the one that is never asked, So don't be shy because this is one hobby that has too many variables and just when you think you got it sorted it proves you wrong, So stick at it coz we are all in the same Boat, yeah. thumbsup

Dig em all,

Ridge Runner
21 September 2018 11:32 am

Greglz86 wrote:

Also have the 12 inch evo on its way for my next outing next weekend. I’ll report back here for show and tell wink

Well that should help a bit, Any of them evo coils will improve its performance,

good luck.

when it's raining and you can't get out for a swing, you want to set up the TDI and play with the CON switch and mess with the Delay and GB and using different targets see how there settings can effect whether the item comes up as Hi or Low conductive,

Set the machine up in ALL with the Gain about 6 and the GB at the default and then get some targets and mess with the GB and then put it back then mess with the delay and then put it back to 10us, and make notes whether targets come in I or low and then switch to HI or LOW and wave the targets in front of the coil but change the GB and/or the delay and see how they effect how the detector see's the items, ok.

Good luck.

Dig em all,

Ship of fools
21 September 2018 12:32 pm

Greglz86 wrote:

Hey guys. For those who use the 12 inch evo on the tdi. How well do you guys go in regards to sub gram nuggets? Whats your smallest bit?

I have found a 0.04gram piece, but honestly I don't believe this a constantly acheivable thing with the Tdi!
Anything under 0.5gram needs to be very close to the coil.
Matt T

Ridge Runner
21 September 2018 12:38 pm

Ship of fools wrote:
Greglz86 wrote:

I have found a 0.04gram piece, but honestly I don't believe this a constantly acheivable thing with the Tdi!
Anything under 0.5gram needs to be very close to the coil.
Matt T

By rights the TDI can see 0.12-0.17 all day long but the signal will be a waver in the threshold with a soft woo sound so you really need the threshold to be low in order for it to be noticeable,

Dig em all,

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site