Cheap yabby pump seal replacement

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may be helpful out in the field or if you're just tight on cash.
If the rubber on your yabby pump is flogged out you can make a new one from a thong.

Just disassemble the plunger from the pump and take the rod out then push the barrel of the pump into the thong while twisting and it will cut a very nice rubber disc that will replace the old one.
Mines lasted a year of heavy use so far and still looks new.

You can get two from one thong if you position it right and its best to use a new thong.

I hope this help someone keep pumping even if it is with one bare foot. :lol:

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
oh,,,, ok the foot thong ,,, i was thinking of the other one ,,, a Y shaped one ,,, perhaps thats the slingshot rubber replacement lol
Lucky to get one spare out of tjose m8

Wish I could get my hands on a decent pair of old style dunlop thongs!
The new thong material I have being trying is utter :poop:
So I had a bit of spare RED lay flat, and cut out a few gaskit seals for the pump with it.
The red lay flat is pretty good material and hard wearing.
It can also be a good emergency gaskit for your petrol water pump too!
I fitted 2 peices to the pump and it seems to have a good seal.
Take your time cutting a perfect circle with 1 mm oversize to internal diameter.
If you have a perfect circle, but find it too big, use a permanent marker and trace the inside edge. Then when you are trimming it, makes a good guide to cut, better than an egg shaped seal!
:lol:
Tip....
Avoiding a lost wing nut in the creek.......
Get hold of an 8mm SS nyloc nut. Put it on the end of the thread of shaft till the nylon just bights the thread. Leaves enough thread for you too back off the tention on the wing nut to relax your gaskit when not being used.