Minelab SD2100 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i have a SD2100 that i purchased second hand a few months back and just recently took it out for its first swing in the GT.

I could ground balance channel 1 but not channel 2, at our first camp I would just run it on channel one and just put the threshold up enough to hear a steady hum thats not too loud. Whilst swinging i would notice that the detector would give off a lot of false signals ect, especially when you get to the furtherest end of the swing and change direction.

It was also giving off signals when i would just tilt the detector from side to side.

Once i got to Bendigo i went out with a mate who also has a SD2100, his machine would GB easily on both channels. He tried mine and couldn't balance channel 2 either, it seems as if turning the pot is doing nothing.

His machine was running very quite compared to mine, he told me that i should have my threshold turned up to maximum and that would eliminate the false signals as that is how he runs his. I turned my threshold to max and kept going and sure enough it run very smooth with no false signals (still only channel 1) even when running the coil against the ground.

We swapped coils ect but still could not balance channel 2. Anyway I've put it into a shop in Bendigo to have it checked and repaired if required.

What do people usually put their threshold on when detecting, although it was very stable with it on max, wouldn't i potentially be missing small targets with softer signals?

Also has anyone had any issues with GB channel 2? i noticed that i could pick up a lot more smaller targets with it on but the ground noise was too much.

I also run a signal booster with it.

Hello all was wondering if anybody knows how much does a minelab sd2100 with three coil ,harness, bat charger,car charger and some other stuff sell for these days..cheers all

Hi Pablo.
Depends really on condition and what the buyer is will to spend. How long is a piece of string?
You will get a thousand different prices but comes down to age, condition, extras and battery condition.
And what you are will to pay.

More details may help.

HH

In reasonable nick I'd be thinking around the $1000 to $1300 might be in the ball park. But as Harry said there are variables and buyers price that might change my estimate.

pablo71 said:
Hello all was wondering if anybody knows how much does a minelab sd2100 with three coil ,harness, bat charger,car charger and some other stuff sell for these days..cheers all

hey Pablo, Ive seen them on Gumtree lately for around $900 - $1200 . There's an upgraded SD2000 on there at the moment for $900. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/the...s-computers/minelab-metal-detector/1182369798

I bought mine off an old retiree that couldn't go out anymore for $500 with a couple of coils, pick, spare battery & leads

The original 14" DD Coiltek was a nice stable coil, but lacking a bit of sensitivity. The later PRO coils were more sensitive, but as they sucked more power, they worked better with a regulated power supply.

The 15x2" DD Commander is a great coil on the 2100. If you can handle the extra weight, a 15" Detech Ultimate is also very good, even more sensitive being a spiral wind, but won't run as stable as the Commander.

Another good option is the 12.5" Detech DD solid.

I've got a 14dd (terracotta colour)on my 2200d and it's pretty good. Picks up reasonably small stuff .8
Anything under that Im not after anyhow.
I've also got the original minelab 11inch dd that comes with it. It goes ok but not as smooth as the coiltek in noisy ground.

1539514336_resized_20180920_171919_5054.jpg

I have been running a detech 15 dd spiral wound coil on my old extreme for a while now . the best 420 bucks i have ever spent ! extremely sensitive, still finding gold in areas i have flogged to death with small monos , its a bit noisy for a dd. but once you get your head around that you wont look back . :)

'Nightjar' .... help me out here.
I spotted this SD2100v2 on ebay. Looks in mint condition for such an old machine, Minelab made an SD2200v2 but this is the first SD2100v2 i've seen. Was there ever an SD2100v2 ????
If so is this the only machine not listed in the Minelab archives ???

1546765223_sd2100v2.jpg

The 21v and 22v models were blue in colour and were a cheaper alternative they were released about the same time as the 3000 or 3500 from memory like the 4800 now regards john

2100v2 was great as it had stronger end caps, and the tune and tone pots were external for easy adjustments. A great economy machine these days if you don't mind a bit of manual tuning.

Your 2100V2 question has been answered, however here is some info from years gone bye with reference to the SD 2100 which was released in 2002? My model required a screw driver to make adjustments.

Post Apr 29, 2007 #1
For those of you who still swing the 2100 the method below is tried and proven to get the best from your machine.

Tuning your Minelab SD 2100:
Firstly you probably HAVE missed many nuggets with your SD "warbling" in your earphones. When I now get the slightest variation in the "hum" I scrape off the top layer of rocks, grass etc and if the signal has improved it is usually a small target, hopefully a nugget.
Getting back to tuning:
With the machine turned on and holding it at waist height with base of coil vertical, rotate 360deg, noting which direction the warbling is greatest.
Lay the detector and coil on the ground with the coil tilted up at about 45/60 deg and facing direction of strongest interference.
Place one hand on the box to keep it steady so there are not any false signals (as you can well imagine the 1 & 2 balance positions are not ultimately tuned at this stage) with your other hand using the small screwdriver, rotate the tuning screw clockwise. (At this point it may be easier to remove your back pack and lay it next to the detector) If you haven't achieved any improvement after say 20 rotations clockwise, rotate anticlockwise for 20 rotations (back to starting point) then keep rotating anticlockwise for another 20 rotations. (This pot does not have a "stop" so it may take time.)
You may feel like a bit of a dork out in the middle of nowhere down on all fours with your butt in the air but believe me it is worth the effort.
If you persevere eventually the threshold will become a steady Hummmm! You will only need to readjust if you move to complete new mineralised ground or your machine again becomes unsteady. After you have your machine humming steadily stand up and go through the 1-2 positions of balancing your machine.
At this point it is advisable to select the Tone that most suits your hearing.
Using a small target (shotgun pellet is ideal) scrape a small hole and place target in the hole. Now swing your coil across the target, vary the tone until you get the clearest/ sharpest signal that suits your hearing.
LOW and SLOW and ALWAYS investigate any change in tone no matter how slight, those little grammers soon add up.
Pinpointing your signal:
When a signal is targeted, draw a line through where you think the target is, now step around 90deg and again swing and again draw a line through where you think the target is. Where the two lines cross will be approximately where your target is laying. (After you become confident you will find only imaginary lines are required.)
Coils:
Mono coils have a different target centre to your DD coils, practice with both using previous pinpointing method until you are confident. If the ground is highly mineralised and your machine continually chatters you may need to use your DD coil only.
Tip:
If your signal varies considerably while using the pinpointing method it is quite possible your target is ground noise. (Scrape of the top layer of dirt, the signal should increase if it is a target.)
Good luck on your next visit to the goldfields, and yes, I would be interested in hearing from you whether this advice helped in any way.
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Latest posts