Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that so many are going back to 1.5, my goldie tally isn't really changing.

Anyway good to see all the reports coming in though, I think it might be something Minelab will have to tweak for a future update. . :Y:

Screw tops always get me with the Nox and CTX, just a fact of detecting as a lot do give exactly the same TID's, especially when flattened.

Anyway that's another interesting report on the update.

Heatho said:
Interesting that so many are going back to 1.5, my goldie tally isn't really changing.

Anyway good to see all the reports coming in though, I think it might be something Minelab will have to tweak for a future update. . :Y:
It is interesting indeed..I'm still getting them as well..Droped back the recovery to 5 and turned up the volume a notch or to and its hitting goldies hard and deep.I actually thought it was slightly better on goldies than before....If they are there you wont miss them .Some flat cans or flat screw caps sounded like a Goldie even before the update..And they still do.At least it can be rolled back for those that dont like the upgrade..um update. :playful:

Fnx50 said:
I wonder whether the update was more suitable for our overseas brothers and sisters and not necessarily aimed at the Oz market? I have reverted to 1.5. Much happier now. :)

That is a very good thought. You could be onto something there.

I really don't see how the update will be better for overseas users than Aussie users, unless gold detecting in heavy mineralisation of course. If you have set up correctly and ground balanced if needed then I really can't see why it would be better treasure detecting in one country compared to another. Just my opinion.

Heatho said:
I really don't see how the update will be better for overseas users than Aussie users, unless gold detecting in heavy mineralisation of course. If you have set up correctly and ground balanced if needed then I really can't see why it would be better treasure detecting in one country compared to another. Just my opinion.
soils is like oil's Sol :playful:

as you said , i cannot see why either :( coins are made of the same good things the world over :Y:

maybe the over thinkers of the nox crowd are reading and dreaming a little too much ;) dunno........

Heatho said:

Because of the ID's, and the tones. Different currencies have different metals and sizes.
A simple look at Minelabs ID chart will reveal that.
It has nothing to do with gold detecting. Just the way it is.
So an update can definitely be more beneficial to some than others.

Just my opinion though. I think old mate has a point.

I have detected the usa Canada south America and uk and a few places in Europe coins are different and that was with a 705 oz coins are not made the same

hAyyoUinAU said:
Heatho said:

Because of the ID's, and the tones. Different currencies have different metals and sizes.
A simple look at Minelabs ID chart will reveal that.
It has nothing to do with gold detecting. Just the way it is.
So an update can definitely be more beneficial to some than others.

Just my opinion though. I think old mate has a point.

Thanks mate. The Australian market is minuscule compared to USA and Europe and I am sure a massed produced detector will be configured towards that market. Therefore, although its a great detector, its not a detector built for Australia alone. I hadnt experienced any problems locating silver coins before the update and, at last count, I have found 28 silver pre-decimals since February along with over 3 dozen Australian and British pennies and half-pennies. I just found that the tone characteristics changed after the update. Ive removed the update and am quite happy using the machine.

I'm not getting it..A detector is designed to find metal...of all shapes and sizes...there is a wide variety of coins about the world.. depending on its metal makeup will determine the tone and I'd.... ...I cant see why anyone would think its more suited to overseas coins..Metal is metal...There are still high and low Tones and TDIs from 0 to 40 ....that has not changed . But saying that we all have opinions and personal preference...You dont have to like the update...:perfect: :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
I'm not getting it..A detector is designed to find metal...of all shapes and sizes...there is a wide variety of coins about the world.. depending on its metal makeup will determine the tone and I'd.... ...I cant see why anyone would think its more suited to overseas coins..Metal is metal...There are still high and low Tones and TDIs from 0 to 40 ....that has not changed . But saying that we all have opinions and personal preference...You dont have to like the update...:perfect: :Y:
your right smoky me for one didn't like it

227dick said:
Smoky bandit said:
your right smoky me for one didn't like it

I personally didnt like the Nox at all first few hunts. :D

I'm 100% with Smoky, I didn't like the Nox either when I first got it, then I adapted to it. I also agree that the tones changed slightly but not their frequency or tone break, the tones just sound a bit softer to me, even the TID's are pretty much the same, a $1 or $2 coin is still a 21 or 22 TID. A 50% sixpence is still an 18 or 19 TID.

I don't get it either how you guys think you're doing worse since the update. Though yeah it's great to be able to choose which firmware you want to run if you percieve a real performance difference between the 2.

I'm glad they gave us the option to roll back .Though if you haven't really given yourself time to adapt to the update or done personal tests before and after the update and not just went for a swing once or twice and decided its crap..Then you really not doing yourself any favors .But what ever decision you make.... it's your decision.... At the end of the day you wont miss too many coins... if any :D :Y:

Update since Monday,

After saying on Monday that I would revert back when I get back home (tomorrow), I had a couple of hrs to kill yesterday so went down to the Hopkins River and had a swing along the sandy bank out front of the ski club house, used it in baach 1 and notched out -3 and below and only dug good solid signals resulting in 8 sinkers of various size, 10c 2c 1c and some other various junk but better than my experience on Monday.
Today I decided to hit another play ground using park 1 and notched out -16 and below and only dig good solid signals resulting in $6.50 and a couple of trinkets which I was happy with.
Then went to a footy oval and decided to swing the outer ring where the cars park to watch the game, park 1 with only 21-22 so I could cherry pick the goldies, any iffy signals I flicked to all metal and 9/10 would go crazy on the TID and only 1 screw top and 1 can top fooled me but managed $16 in goldies for 1 hour swinging, some signals weren't as stong as I'm used to but they were solid enough to investigate.
Think I'll keep the update on for now as I think my ears are adjusting to the slight difference in signal strength and I worked out a better way to deal with the scew tops, my confidence in listening to what the 600 is saying is back :Y:

It would not be the first time an update is not right.
I spend nearly every day using my Equinox, before and after the update.
I think I know it pretty well. Anyone who has been on a hunt with me can probably vouch for that.

I guess that is why the machine was released with a half update. Generally when there is a major update it will go to next numeral, so 1.5 was already an update from the original software they tested with. God knows how many there were. Sometimes they don't even start at 1.
I guess 1.6 wasn't right to release so they had to go to 1.7. And that to me was worse than 1.5.

It is not hard to believe that an update can actually create more problems than it cures. Happens all the time in everything and everywhere.

ProspectorPete said:
Update since Monday,

After saying on Monday that I would revert back when I get back home (tomorrow), I had a couple of hrs to kill yesterday so went down to the Hopkins River and had a swing along the sandy bank out front of the ski club house, used it in baach 1 and notched out -3 and below and only dug good solid signals resulting in 8 sinkers of various size, 10c 2c 1c and some other various junk but better than my experience on Monday.
Today I decided to hit another play ground using park 1 and notched out -16 and below and only dig good solid signals resulting in $6.50 and a couple of trinkets which I was happy with.
Then went to a footy oval and decided to swing the outer ring where the cars park to watch the game, park 1 with only 21-22 so I could cherry pick the goldies, any iffy signals I flicked to all metal and 9/10 would go crazy on the TID and only 1 screw top and 1 can top fooled me but managed $16 in goldies for 1 hour swinging, some signals weren't as stong as I'm used to but they were solid enough to investigate.
Think I'll keep the update on for now as I think my ears are adjusting to the slight difference in signal strength and I worked out a better way to deal with the scew tops, my confidence in listening to what the 600 is saying is back :Y:

That's it, there is nothing worse about the update, it just sounds a little different, no big deal in my opinion, it maybe feels slightly more refined. It's just a matter of understanding what your detector is telling you. :Y: