First Detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody have been reading some of the posts and have been learning a lot already so decided to join the group. My mate came out with a detector a week ago and got me hooked so ordered a Equinox 800 and am interested in looking for old relics and possibly a bit of gold in the Alice Springs region. I have 10 minutes of detector time so very green. I am really keen on learning on how to understand the difference between digging for rubbish or something decent. Thanks in advance :pickshovel:

G'day mate. Best way to find out is to dig it up! ;) Most of the interesting stuff tends to come up with a target ID of 16 to 32 but if you find a few interesting things it pays to dig up every signal in the area. Probably stick to park mode 1 to start with as it descriminates out (silences) most of the junk signals fir you.

get a hand full of different coins and throw them about the ground, practice detect them, learn what they tell you :Y:

MOST IMPORTANT whilest digging is DIG THE SMALLEST HOLE POSSIBLE a pinpointer will aid this :Y: DO NOT use shovels in public areas :Y:

small digging tools such as Tyger digger are the go, i am told there are other brands :eek: but they aren't Australian :)

1537137018_wp_20180503_003.jpg

MOST MOST IMPORTANTLY FILL THE HOLES BACK IN , this keeps the peace with not only fellow detectorist's :cool:
and the tree hugging , do gooding public that will dob you for digging holes :mad: and wont have photos of gaping unfilled holes to flash around to council :playful:
they dont say much when they cannot see where you have been :Y: :Y: :cool:

and yes welcome to the addiction detecting is :party: :rainbow: :party:

CPCOOK74 said:
Hi everybody have been reading some of the posts and have been learning a lot already so decided to join the group. My mate came out with a detector a week ago and got me hooked so ordered a Equinox 800 and am interested in looking for old relics and possibly a bit of gold in the Alice Springs region. I have 10 minutes of detector time so very green. I am really keen on learning on how to understand the difference between digging for rubbish or something decent. Thanks in advance :pickshovel:

Same region for me and I am looking for some learning too.
Today is nice (9-23c), but it was 40c last weekend and soon to be back up there again.

Latest posts