Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anton I have to agree with you I belive tones are different and doesn't seem to hit that hard on coins I am not a fan back to 1.5 :N:

anton said:
hAyyoUinAU said:
DOWNGRADED TO version 1.5 TODAY.

1.75 is rubbish. No thanks. :D

im afraid i have to agree :) im not a silver hunter by nature, but i have found silver and on its side with the nox and original firmware, and it just seems to bang harder on 1.5.

Hits harder on 1.5 and the ID's are familiar. For me anyway.
I dug more junk with 1.75 than with 1.5.
And I have never had a problem finding silvers on edge either, so it was a no brainer to go back to the original version.

Todays hunt was rewarding, and felt like the NOX I knew and have come to love.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DONT FIX IT. :perfect:

For anyone interested.
Minelab recently released a new update for the Equinox machines, update Version 1.75.
This update was to mainly to help with Silver coins on edge and for better depth accuracy.

After some testing with this new update I have reverted back to version 1.5. The original version shipped out with the Equinox machine.

I guess it might be in order to give you have to take. And if that is the case, I am more than happy with what the Equinox gives out of the box and I do not want to take anything away from it. Coins on edge, well, depends on how slow you swing, and angles. And NOX can pick silver on edge, I have more than one on video. It might not be consistent, but when you use NOX for a while, you know pretty well what is there and isn't.

Whether this rollout was indeed a fix, or just a patch rollout I am not sure. The latter usually involves having the masses become test subjects to give feedback on.
If that is the case, it would explain why this update just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for trying anyway Minelab, I appreciate the gesture.

don't loose any sleep about updating your nox 1.5 is better than 1.75 in my opinion after updating I was thinking I was doing something wrong with the nox others may say different but it seemed a bit off to a point I found myself firing up the 705 and doing better

AussieChris said:
What issues have you guys seen to turn you off so much on the update? :(

The update seemed to change more than just what was specified. The machine felt different to me.
ID's and Tone Levels seemed to have changed. Not completely, but enough.
To a new comer it might be fine, but I have gotten used to how the Equinox responds, and it was a different beast under 1.75 and of no benefit at all.
In fact, it felt counter productive to me, so I switched back and felt straight at home.

It might be for others, but definitely not for me.

hAyyoUinAU said:
AussieChris said:

The update seemed to change more than just what was specified. The machine felt different to me.
ID's and Tone Levels seemed to have changed. Not completely, but enough.
To a new comer it might be fine, but I have gotten used to how the Equinox responds, and it was a different beast under 1.75 and of no benefit at all.
In fact, it felt counter productive to me, so I switched back and felt straight at home.

It might be for others, but definitely not for me.
i found in some cases it was harder to pinpoint a target and when I did I key holed the plug to find the target and picking up targets was seemed like they were junk all the time with bad signal tones and patchy tones only going one way and so on I belive it down graded my machine and this was on grounds I hunt on all the time and I can use all modes except gold mode it was a different machine for me and I liked it better with 1.5

AussieChris said:
Best off trying it yourself mate..You can always roll it back if you dont like it..I was not real happy at first but it grows on you. I nearly switched back a few times but after at least 20hrs of use ..I personally am going to keep it on because now I'm used to the change ..Even if it is only the slightest upgrade. :perfect: :Y:

I agree with what Smoky has said.

I agree that too it makes the detector feel a little different, signals don't seem to hit as hard but I'm still finding the usual stuff that I find at my sites, deep signals too a lot of them. It's growing on me as well. I still think it's a bit more stable than it was in higher sensitivity settings.

Maybe they have changed the gain staging a bit with the audio and sensitivity settings??

Anyway I'm going to keep the update as well. Maybe they'll release another update soon to refine things a bit more.

anton said:
the jury is still out for me, i may rollback..i went out for a four hour hunt,and these are my initial impressions so far..

1. it seems to "hit" differently,IE, not as hard as before..no biggie, but noticeable..

2. depth meter seems a little better,still could be better.

i did come across something that i may have to investigate further, and this is what happened.. i got a signal ranging from 17-19 (with a quick 20-21) and it seemed like a bigger target than a coin,something made me want to investigate, coz i thought coin spill,and the nox sux with spills,lol..anyway, it turned out to be a 2 dollar coin about 10 mm under the dirt..after retrieving the coin, i swung back over, expecting something else,coz of the initial numbers and size, but lo and behold, nothing..only happened with that extremely shallow coin, but i cant recall a similar scenario on the previous software..anyway, more testing to do,at this stage, im leaning seriously towards rolling back, for my type of hunting.

I've had that happen wi6th $2 coins before on the 1.5 firmware, I've had the same happen with the CTX as well. Wally69 suggested that they could be counterfeit $2 coins. I've read that you can buy them overseas and that they are sold in China and other Asian countries for about half their Aussie value.

Anyway whether or not this is the case some coins do have different TID's occasionally.

taje00 said:
Hi All Nox owners,
I've had my 800 for a couple of months now and have only detected on beaches. Today I went to a local oval and tried detecting there and was very overwhelmed by the constant signals it was giving off. How do you all tell whether there it is a good signal or not, as when I'm detecting on the beach most of the time the Nox doesn't make a noise or give off a number unless there is a target below. Today at the local oval the Nox just seemed to constantly have a signal numbers jumping all over the place, I didn't know when to dig or not to dig. I'm away for a couple of weeks now heading up to lightning ridge through all the gold mining towns along the way but when I get back would love to meet up with someone with experience with the Nox and learn a few tips. I'm in the Shire south of Sydney.
Thanks Terry :pickshovel:

Most sportsfields are absolutely covered in trash, my suggestion is to turn up the recovery speed to 7. I ignore most lower sonductors under about 17 in severe trash and just go for the higher conductors such as goldies and silvers.

I'm near Manly if you want to catch up for a swing when you get back from your trip, can show you some trash spots and show how I make the best of a difficult situation.

I will give that a try Heatho and when I get back I will definitely take you up on that swing.
Thanks and Happy detecting
Terry. :pickshovel:

If its emi - if you have it running in multi frequency - it will give you a bit of trouble - change it to single frequency ie 15 (you will pick up the gold and silver0 and that should make the detector quiet . But with High trash areas recovery speed to a higher number 6 or 7 and good luck.

Dan

I hit 3 parks between jobs today, first swing since doing the update and I noticed I was digging screw tops and tops of cans that had been hit with the mower, both came up as solid 21-22 and I'd called each one for a $1 or $2 as it had the unmistakable blip blip signal of a Goldie, very frustrating as it hadn't fooled me in the past, I only scored 1 $1 which didn't hit as hard as before the update.
Definitely going to revert back to 1.5

AussieChris said:
I've really only been chasing $1 & $2 as I don't swing in parks much, prior to the update I was confident when I had a goldie with a solid hit on 21-22, rarely fooled by screw tops, maybe they'd get me 1 outta 10 but today after the update I dug about 20 screw tops and 6 mangled can tops, all gave solid 21-22 and I gave up until I get home on Thursday and I'll revert back.
Frustrating when I've finally got 3 days work down Warrnambool and plenty of time to swing the 600 but lost confidence in picking targets with the new update.

I suppose the upside is I'm cleaning all the junk someone else has left, seems the play grounds I hit at Port Fairy today have been done recently, either that or the kids here only carry notes in their pockets ;)