YouTube Faceting Channel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah! Someone else who agrees that perspex makes an excellent polishing lap for quartz-based stones. I have never seen any rounding of the facets - perspex is not a soft plastic, it is extremely hard and tough and the surface does not yield. Further, I agree with him that cerium oxide tends to outperform diamond as a final polish on quartz.

I'm not sure about his claim that he could neither cut nor show a particular design in one video because it is copyright - I am familiar with the particular design and have cut it before. That designer has placed the design on his own publicy-open website, in the open public domain for everyone to access and at the bottom of the cutting instructions, he actively encourages others to go ahead and cut it. I think our local bloke just wanted to go to lengths to assure everyone that what he was cutting was effectively a design of his own creation because he starts by cutting a pavilion that to the eye looks absolutely identical to the design in question. He then makes alterations so that the finished gem is no longer the exact same design - from what I can see, he simply used the other design as a logical base to start from.

But yes, they are relaxing videos - kind of like watching tropical fish swim back and forth to music :)

Nice vid's to watch. Well executed. Great introduction to faceting. But the technical side is very basic. Still, very nice :D