today i went fishing and caught

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carp...have destroyed most if not all of Tasmania inland fishing,

When I use to live there, a bunch of us would fish most of the lakes around Tassie,

When we court a Carp we use to just leave them on the bank until we we was told that they can keep breathing for hour's,

so after that off go the head to make sure it dead,

Carp court on the mainland in a running stream are good eating, so I been told,

Watch a fishing show where they court some Carp from a running stream, placed the Carp in a old bathtub out side with clean water for 24 hour then filleted them, cut them up in to bite sizes , batter on them , cooked in hot oil, served them up to a bunch of blokes in a pub, they did not tell this blokes what kind of fish it was to after they had eaten it,

All the blokes really like the Carp,

Most of them said that they look at Carp in a different way now,

But I recon that it proves is that you can feed a bloke anything when he's been drinking :) :) :)

Free feed is always a great day in my books :) :) :)

Goody

It is illegal to catch a carp and put them back in the water.... Down in Numurka they hold 'the great carp-off' every year... 100's of people enter with cash prizes up to $10,000 for the biggest carp, most caught and prizes for the kids as well. :trophy: .. All sponsored by the fisheries in Victoria.... After the 'Day' they have a good feed on what was caught... :party:

LW....

Its illegal as well to put them back in at Tassie.

Carp started off as a goldfish in someone aquarium,

That was what the fishing clubs was told at Tassie...

Goody

LoneWolf said:
Nile Perch is often sold as Barra... Been plenty of Restaurants here have been done for swapping Barra for Nile Perch.... These days it is very hard to get decent fish...

LW.....
Perhaps you should try get them fresh off the trawler

1536983897_img_0007.jpg

Using these off fallen trees with live bait aka small carp

carp carp carp sounds like thee dog next door, 2 kinds koi carp an ornamental species and the european carp cut the heads of and leave them on the bank unless your hungry the other fish that you cant put back is the redfin but they are good eating mmmmmm

No piccies fellas cause we ate em but we spent 5 days in Tumby Bay SA last week and fished off the end of the jetty. Ended up taking 3 KG Whiting and 2 Red Mullet for a really lovely feed.

BTW, Ive been visiting every so often just to check in. Ive spent a bit more time on the BUGU because of the crap happening in Vict. Lets face it if they get their way, itll be a waste of time coming over cause therell be no worthwhile ground to detect on.

Still I hang in there doing my research.

goody2shoes said:
Carp...have destroyed most if not all of Tasmania inland fishing,

When I use to live there, a bunch of us would fish most of the lakes around Tassie,

When we court a Carp we use to just leave them on the bank until we we was told that they can keep breathing for hour's,

so after that off go the head to make sure it dead,

Carp court on the mainland in a running stream are good eating, so I been told,

Watch a fishing show where they court some Carp from a running stream, placed the Carp in a old bathtub out side with clean water for 24 hour then filleted them, cut them up in to bite sizes , batter on them , cooked in hot oil, served them up to a bunch of blokes in a pub, they did not tell this blokes what kind of fish it was to after they had eaten it,

All the blokes really like the Carp,

Most of them said that they look at Carp in a different way now,

But I recon that it proves is that you can feed a bloke anything when he's been drinking :) :) :)

Free feed is always a great day in my books :) :) :)

Goody

Grew up next to a lake of decent size, in the summer the carp swim up to the shallow end to mate and feed. Not only do they make a mess and discourage other natives habitat, they grow to monster size. On average I would estimate 20 to 25 pound but an egg swollen large female might push the 35 or heavier. They are in the thousands, as a kid I gave up on lines and had home made long handled Spears and hunted them in the shallows. Not uncommon to kill 50 or more in a day. I doubt we will ever get rid of them, the amount of eggs they carry are mind blowing.

One summer mates and I with new car licences all decided to go out together spearing them. There was maybe 10 of us all wading the edges taking a sizable catch to the banks to rot. We came up one inlet to some Yugoslavian fishermen who were horrified at us tossing them to rot. Budding entrepreneurs we were, striking a deal to bring as many live carp back as we could for them to take home.

As they paid us I assume they really did take them to be eaten, they claimed bathing them for a day live, then vinegar was the key to prepare them for eating. I however did not have any interest, I've tried cleaning them live after a day or two in water using all sorts of things for cooking prep but they are really an ordinary fish, too muddy and off smelling for me.

I'd love to know what to do with them exactly and if they are and good to eat done right they sure aren't hard to catch. Until that day comes I'll stay busy on the red fin, best inland fish going.

Many years ago, some very smart Canberran Public Servants ( if there is such a thing) brought out a Recipe Book which included Carp.
Surely someone must have tried it!
At that time I remember a river south of Yass that i traversed to try my luck st fly fishing. What I found was a river chock a block with carp, so much so that you could walk across the river from one side to the other on their backs without getting your feet wet!
Where was Charlie Carp when you need him?
Mackka

Latest posts