Any ideas with this one?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking through about 1,000 different medals, honours, decorations - royal, noble, military, civil etc, etc, with no luck at all... I then had a really good look at the item and sketched it to separate the different parts. It's not a crown in it - it's just two mirrored swirls with a diamond sitting on top of them, that are sitting on top of the Iron Cross (not Maltese Cross). That tends to signify either Prussian or German design. The fleur-de-lis then confused it, which is mainly a French design, but has been used on English medals and shields as well. And it can also signify a 6th son in English heraldry.

But you know what folks, when you have a good look at the actual casting job - it's terrible! And I have a feeling this might just be a project of someone who did cast iron works (or was learning it) and wasn't very good at it yet! Look at the different "feathers" beside the Iron Cross and the strange extra bit hanging off the bottom one on the left hand side, that's not on the right hand side. The feathers are not uniform either. And look at the gap between the right hand and bottom sections of the Iron Cross - it's all filled in there, and the opposite side has a rod going through it - and I don't think it's deterioration - it's just badly cast.

So I'm putting it down to an apprentice's cast iron work project, and doubt we'll be finding it anywhere online - or I'll be very surprised if we do!

Does anyone else agree with my assessment?

silver said:
What about those mickey mouse ears top centre lol.
and the 60 dots representing time ! :eek:
I was thinking more Easter bunny's face, but the lower half is obscured by the crown.

It's fairly crude, meaning it's amateur or old, neither helps. As mentioned above look at the symmetry, that border is way off, but appears cast that way
Nice piece all the same.

MegsyB007 said:
After looking through about 1,000 different medals, honours, decorations - royal, noble, military, civil etc, etc, with no luck at all... I then had a really good look at the item and sketched it to separate the different parts. It's not a crown in it - it's just two mirrored swirls with a diamond sitting on top of them, that are sitting on top of the Iron Cross (not Maltese Cross). That tends to signify either Prussian or German design. The fleur-de-lis then confused it, which is mainly a French design, but has been used on English medals and shields as well. And it can also signify a 6th son in English heraldry.

But you know what folks, when you have a good look at the actual casting job - it's terrible! And I have a feeling this might just be a project of someone who did cast iron works (or was learning it) and wasn't very good at it yet! Look at the different "feathers" beside the Iron Cross and the strange extra bit hanging off the bottom one on the left hand side, that's not on the right hand side. The feathers are not uniform either. And look at the gap between the right hand and bottom sections of the Iron Cross - it's all filled in there, and the opposite side has a rod going through it - and I don't think it's deterioration - it's just badly cast.

So I'm putting it down to an apprentice's cast iron work project, and doubt we'll be finding it anywhere online - or I'll be very surprised if we do!

Does anyone else agree with my assessment?

Ummm It's been sitting under sea water for some years so it would deteriorate quite a bit.

To be honest I think it is some sort of Art Deco Piece that was bought in a second hand shop, niche shop and then lost at the beach. But who knows... Can only take a shot at finding something similar that leads to the actual piece, I'd like to think the creator of this had taken pictures.

ctxkid said:
aussiefarmer said:
I would say its a family crest.

i agree :Y: :Y: , would explain the german and french influences :cool:

My take on it is that it's old, and that it is an heraldic badge.

It's of the type what could have been part of the livery worn by the household staff of a noble family. High ranking churchmen were also part of the noble class. The design of the badge would draw from a full Coat of Arms. Sometimes it is only the crest atop the shield that is referenced, sometimes the only shield, sometimes only charges from the shield, or a compilation as we see in the piece in question. In heraldry the cross pattee is a christian cross and has many variations one form of which was adopted for the well known Iron Cross which is a Prussian and later a German military decoration which in itself is not an heraldic charge.

I reckon the key to solving this puzzle is the central motiff of the 'winged' cross pattee charged with a Fleur-d-lis, find that on a coat of arms and bingo!!

The encircling border 'star' indicates the status of the wearer.......this was a very special item to the person who lost it.

casper

casper said:
ctxkid said:
aussiefarmer said:
I would say its a family crest.

i agree :Y: :Y: , would explain the german and french influences :cool:

My take on it is that it's old, and that it is an heraldic badge.

It's of the type what could have been part of the livery worn by the household staff of a noble family. High ranking churchmen were also part of the noble class. The design of the badge would draw from a full Coat of Arms. Sometimes it is only the crest atop the shield that is referenced, sometimes the only shield, sometimes only charges from the shield, or a compilation as we see in the piece in question. In heraldry the cross pattee is a christian cross and has many variations one form of which was adopted for the well known Iron Cross which is a Prussian and later a German military decoration which in itself is not an heraldic charge.

I reckon the key to solving this puzzle is the central motiff of the 'winged' cross pattee charged with a Fleur-d-lis, find that on a coat of arms and bingo!!

The encircling border 'star' indicates the status of the wearer.......this was a very special item to the person who lost it.

casper

The way you've explained it in details actually makes me see a different picture of the piece.
I did read that most of the elements of this piece are to do with service.

Thanks for your input mate.
Cheers GDA