Spain81 videos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
Me thinks not legal!!
Don't think it's illegal under Victorian Miners Right Jaros?
Possibly might be under EPA - turbidity? Looks minimal though but best practice is to set up on the bank in a way that allows sediments to filter out.
Probably not a good look though as a set up & Rangers/Inspectors might confuse it with a dredge? Confusion contributed to the highbanker being outlawed in NSW IMO so might be better to not create confusion for them?

mbasko said:
Jaros said:
Me thinks not legal!!
Don't think it's illegal under Victorian Miners Right Jaros?
Possibly might be under EPA - turbidity? Looks minimal though but best practice is to set up on the bank in a way that allows sediments to filter out.
Probably not a good look though as a set up & Rangers/Inspectors might confuse it with a dredge? Confusion contributed to the highbanker being outlawed in NSW IMO so might be better to not create confusion for them?

Good point mate nothing illegal but not a good look for the powers to be.

And as far as turbidity goes again (not a good look) the creeks not running so its dropping straight down but if that where the case river sluices would be band aswell so everybody stop using river sluices, highbankers and hell why were at it pans too.

Rant over I appreciate your comments :Y:

I just didnt appreciate a question mark over my head without any explanation :beer:

I tip my hat to you mate.
Digging midstream isn't the easiest thing to do, and you have figured out how to get the banker to the pay rather than the other way around.
I sometimes wonder if people even view the content before they comment? *scratches head*

Not only that you've got the young fella out and involved. Always great to see the next generation getting their hands dirty and lending a hand.

Anyway big tick from me and thanks for sharing.

Edit. Not sure what turbidity has to do with anything either. Looking at those hills I'd guess there would be some decent flood and flow all the creatures would have to deal with when a shovel isn't being swung. Can't find anything stated on the miners right either. :playful:

i watched it and me personally dont see a problem with it as it is still a HB it just follows you around
with messing up the water well when we have the going we make it a dam site worse then that
even sometimes the pan as well if you snag a real dry area
so i give it the :Y: :Y: for thinking

I think good on ya. Do what ya want..But from a rangers point of view you could face enviromental fines if caught....Especially if he/she has an attitude..And I'm just jelious cause we cant use pumps in Qld without someone dobbing you in ....or taking photos of you.Good luck I enjoyed the vid :Y:

OldGT said:
Edit. Not sure what turbidity has to do with anything either. Looking at those hills I'd guess there would be some decent flood and flow all the creatures would have to deal with when a shovel isn't being swung. Can't find anything stated on the miners right either. :playful:
Thinking more about reasons why Jaros may have thought it wasn't legal not attacking the video.
In the other eastern states turbidity is written into the fossicking rules/guidelines - not so Victoria. Would be surprised if the Victorian EPA doesn't have anything in their legislation about man-made turbidity though. I'm not searching - don't give a toss either way! Doesn't worry me in the least.
And as I said in my above post it looks minimal anyway. Make more mess with my 6" sample pan.

The other eastern state wet prospectors can only look on that video with envy. :N:

Had a similar idea but decided against it just because of the look. Couldn't be bothered arguing with a ranger about the difference between highbanker and dredge. Nice work :Y:

Not sure what I am looking at. Doesn't it fall under dredging ("Removal of sediments/rocks from creek/river bed, using a suction/vacuum hose feeding a sluice").

Spain81 said:
goldierocks said:
Not sure what I am looking at. Doesn't it fall under dredging ("Removal of sediments/rocks from creek/river bed, using a suction/vacuum hose feeding a sluice").

Oh is that what I was doing wrong :rolleyes:
Watch the video mate
Ah - thought it was a photo not a video. So it is really only small-scale sluicing of material excavated using hand tools. So far as I can see that would not be prohibited so long as it is a permitted area (but this should not be takes legal advice) :)

This is a grey area even though it's LEGAL.
I would just keep something like this on the quiet to not attract attention, especially the way the world is headed.

Trusted said:
This is a grey area even though it's LEGAL.
I would just keep something like this on the quiet to not attract attention, especially the way the world is headed.
why do you think he should keep it on the quiet when if you read the vic miners before you posted such ill informed rubbish you would know his doing the right thing

mbasko said:
OldGT said:
Thinking more about reasons why Jaros may have thought it wasn't legal not attacking the video.
In the other eastern states turbidity is written into the fossicking rules/guidelines - not so Victoria. Would be surprised if the Victorian EPA doesn't have anything in their legislation about man-made turbidity though. I'm not searching - don't give a toss either way! Doesn't worry me in the least.
And as I said in my above post it looks minimal anyway. Make more mess with my 6" sample pan.

The other eastern state wet prospectors can only look on that video with envy. :N:
Fair enough.
When I was in landfills I had regular weekly contact with EPA. Now I can't speak for them, but I can say in almost 99% of the time I dealt with them they were extremely reasonable, very good at knowing relative legislation, and went down the road of information and education rather than unwarranted heavy handedness.

I couldn't imagine in this sort of scenario they would be any different. I would be fairly certain their agendas and time would be extensive enough they would hardly bother, save for actively polluting the waterway. What I'm saying is they don't drive around looking for offence or areas of concern, they are pressed to get through the amount of work from reporting and monitoring.

What I'm getting at is we all need to be careful of swift knee jerk reactions about others actions. If we go about speculating and over analyzing we start to bring the eyes of regulators, and greenies attention to things of no cause.

Don't mean to hijack the thread just reaffirming there's really zero issue here, let's not grey up an act that's pretty black and white and well within the rules and regulations. :Y:

Latest posts