You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

texta
13 September 2018 12:39 pm

first progress on the cab grinder build . i have fixed a few probs with a motor i already had in the shed its a bit big but will do, its a 1hp off an old compressor . bought 2 pulleys and 2 bearings cos i wanted to use new ones . bored one pulley to suit the motor and cut a new keyway to suit ,bored the pulley to a nice fit on the 1"stainless shaft shaft , i like to buy them with a smaller arbor hole and machine my own , took the slight whoop out of the shaft .next i need to find out what is the norm for the ends of the shaft where a flat disc can be attached , is it stepped down in dia with a shoulder for the disc to register on or what . also what is the norm drill and tap in the ends of the shaft size for bolt or is the shaft end normally stepped down and threaded external thread for the end discs???.
i might get time to start making the frame work to mount it all on over the next few days .
johno1536802743_20180913_112411_resized.jpg

gpx4500 standard com mono and DD and coiltek elite 14" mono . exterra 705 4 coils . garret pointer . sluices pans and sundries ,

3 users like this post: LoneWolf, Wishfull, Bjay

LoneWolf
Banned
Banned
13 September 2018 07:17 pm

I feel with the weight of the shaft and the wheels on the ends you might need to add 2 more bearings closer to the ends.... Grinding wheels are quite heavy and if you use them wet they weigh more..... Also the motor you used will chew up a lot of Power.... The New motors these days only use what they need and you may find a 1/2hp from say Aussie Sapphire may be a better item..... just My Advise...

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

texta
13 September 2018 08:01 pm

i was thinking about a couple of flange bearings on the ends but all the pictures of grinders i looked at didnt have them . i didnt think those plastic wheels looked very heavy . the motor yeah i agree it is over kill but i had it here, i will keep an eye put for some thing smaller .
what should the shaft ends have done to them to suit off the shelf discs ,are they just drilled and tapped . i suppose i can just make the discs anyway but i should make it compatible to bought ones .
johno

gpx4500 standard com mono and DD and coiltek elite 14" mono . exterra 705 4 coils . garret pointer . sluices pans and sundries ,

texta
13 September 2018 08:09 pm

scrub the question on the end plates , i went to AS web site and had a look at them , they screw onto a male thread and run up to a shoulder to register against .same as the face plates on my old wood lathe.
johno

Last edited by texta (13 September 2018 08:10 pm)

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

LoneWolf
Banned
Banned
13 September 2018 08:19 pm

If you have a look here, some interesting reading... You will need to join(no cost) So you can view Pics and search..... Homemade Cabbing Machine.... Several have made their own machines... Those ends also have a Left and Right thread for certain types of Cabbing/Polishing wheels and 'Mops'.... thumbsup

http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/in … tion=forum

LW....

Last edited by LoneWolf (13 September 2018 08:28 pm)

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

texta
13 September 2018 08:41 pm

already a member , have been for a little while still a lot of reading to catch up on in there .

johno

LoneWolf
Banned
Banned
13 September 2018 09:00 pm

Cool... There are few designs on there that may answer some of your Q's.... See you 'on the dark side'... skull

LW....

texta
13 September 2018 09:51 pm

1/2 hp motor on its way .$110 delivered .chinese ebay motor from victoria , mate has one on his metal shaper ,well same brand but 1hp and he has no trouble with it , if the chinese motors do give trouble i believe it is normally just a cap needs replacing easy fix if it happens .
johno

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site