today i went fishing and caught

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1536668161_img_1447_2.jpg
caught a average size yellowbelly at Wivenhoe dam this afternoon

Its a funny thing, Australians must be the only nationality to disregard the catfish! I guess it has something to do with the quality of fish we target.
Matt T

Jaros said:
I've heard the catfish taste ok from chinese fishermen on the Brisbane River just around the corner.

I remember a few years ago where some renowned restaurants down south were passing off catfish as barramundi. They didn't know but the catfish had been added to the boxes at the point of origin (Northern Australia). The flesh is very similar to barramundi, but it would have to be saltwater ones though.

Cheers

Doug

Ship of fools said:
If you go to the fish shop or some supermarket have a look for Basa
Matt T
i eat basa regularly - twice a month
$7 a kilo no bones - no better way to get your preotein
has no taste but coat in a nice batter and is wonderful
Probably tastes no blander than most Flake you buy in fish'n'chip shops

from experience, carp from a dam stink but can be edible when cooked right,, a bloke too be you need to salt it and cook it off the side of a fire, the carp from a flowing stream , don't stink and taste pretty good, used lemmon grass etc , catfish taste like chicken ???? redfin rate 10/10
basa is currently $10 like from woolies , mine swim in orange juice so the taste is ok yellowtail and mackerel are bait fish until you smoke them and mmmm they are ok , from what I hear we categorise fish, the rest of the world experiments with cooking techniques and turns all local food into gourmet meals, t6he other night I had lobster tail and nile perch, if I mixed them in with a good sauce you would not pick the difference, go to the fish shop and ask what the fish is , most times its dog shark , lol

Nile Perch is often sold as Barra... Been plenty of Restaurants here have been done for swapping Barra for Nile Perch.... These days it is very hard to get decent fish...

LW.....

Latest posts