cab grinder started

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
first progress on the cab grinder build . i have fixed a few probs with a motor i already had in the shed its a bit big but will do, its a 1hp off an old compressor . bought 2 pulleys and 2 bearings cos i wanted to use new ones . bored one pulley to suit the motor and cut a new keyway to suit ,bored the pulley to a nice fit on the 1"stainless shaft shaft , i like to buy them with a smaller arbor hole and machine my own , took the slight whoop out of the shaft .next i need to find out what is the norm for the ends of the shaft where a flat disc can be attached , is it stepped down in dia with a shoulder for the disc to register on or what . also what is the norm drill and tap in the ends of the shaft size for bolt or is the shaft end normally stepped down and threaded external thread for the end discs???.
i might get time to start making the frame work to mount it all on over the next few days .
johno
1536802743_20180913_112411_resized.jpg

I feel with the weight of the shaft and the wheels on the ends you might need to add 2 more bearings closer to the ends.... Grinding wheels are quite heavy and if you use them wet they weigh more..... Also the motor you used will chew up a lot of Power.... The New motors these days only use what they need and you may find a 1/2hp from say Aussie Sapphire may be a better item..... just My Advise...

LW....

i was thinking about a couple of flange bearings on the ends but all the pictures of grinders i looked at didnt have them . i didnt think those plastic wheels looked very heavy . the motor yeah i agree it is over kill but i had it here, i will keep an eye put for some thing smaller .
what should the shaft ends have done to them to suit off the shelf discs ,are they just drilled and tapped . i suppose i can just make the discs anyway but i should make it compatible to bought ones .
johno

scrub the question on the end plates , i went to AS web site and had a look at them , they screw onto a male thread and run up to a shoulder to register against .same as the face plates on my old wood lathe.
johno

already a member , have been for a little while still a lot of reading to catch up on in there .

johno

1/2 hp motor on its way .$110 delivered .chinese ebay motor from victoria , mate has one on his metal shaper ,well same brand but 1hp and he has no trouble with it , if the chinese motors do give trouble i believe it is normally just a cap needs replacing easy fix if it happens .
johno