Hi fellow prospectors! Are you having this problem too?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a 50-something lady from Melbourne and my grandfather was a gold and gems prospector so I've always had an interest in it, since I was a kid. The day I saw the black opal he got from Lightning Ridge that was as big as a 10 cent piece, is a day I'll never forget - watching it flash in the sunlight in his backyard after he cut and polished it - a truly incredible sight. And I loved looking at his collection of gems and interesting fossils and rocks in his spare room too.

My brother-in-law has recently got a new detector for his birthday and I've decided to take up the family tradition and start some prospecting, now I have him to go out with me too. The opals will have to wait, I think, because I'm more interested in panning for gold and gems.

I'm no stranger to being in the bush - our family has been camping by the mighty Murray since we were kids and spent weeks at a time there. I love it, in fact.

Anyway, we've been out prospecting a few times around central Victoria and haven't had much luck yet - mostly because we can't find a creek or river with water in it! I can't believe how dry they are at this time of year (and yes, I know NSW is in a severe drought) but Victoria seems to be as well with water lacking in areas that usually have it. Lake Cooper is completely dry, for one thing! The one running creek I've seen was Bendigo Creek, which is on the exempt list, so that's a no-go.

And seeing that long exempt list, makes me think it might be easier to have a list of rivers and creeks where you CAN prospect - it's a very extensive no-go list - and can be quite confusing at times too!

Is there anyone out there who knows where there are running creeks and rivers in Victoria where you can prospect at the moment? Within 2 hours of Melbourne would be good, but perhaps we might have to go further to find it... Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome MegsyB007

Have a look around on this site and you should fine what your looking for...

Goody :D

I just got back today from Slaty Creek at Creswick and there is plenty of water flowing.
Problem is the creek needs a flood to move all the tailings because it has been thrashed over the past 2 or 3 years.
If you can get yourself to near the junction of Cottys Creek and Slaty Creek you could find some flecks panning.

Hi,
Sailors Creek off Black Jack track Daylesford. But not Stoney Creek, just be careful of the track in.
cheers DB

Do you need anymore spots send me a PM and I'll give you a heap more.
cheers DB

Thanks for the offer deepblue, would love some, but I can't PM yet because I'm still a Newbie. Soon hopefully.
Cheers, Megsy

Latest posts