Drinking dam water

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the heck are drinking damned water for? Horrible stuff water, give me thirty days and I'll turn it into beer :)

Ha. Yep. Your on the ball. Lol
one is to many... and a thousand is not enough... :lol:
ah but I did get a gram 2day. Enough to keep me happy for a recon. :)

Life Straw will get out organisms, but won't help with chemicals etc. Nor will boiling or other tabs. I would not drink from any dam not specifically designed to supply drinking water. Cattle die in some areas drinking from contaminated dams (e.g. Bethanga), There were old gold smelters that produced white arsenic residue, and piles of this leach into dams. Metal-cyanide compounds can stick around for hundreds of years. Mercury was widely used in Victorian mines, and methyl mercury is awful stuff and can stick around. Stay somewhere that has a tap......

life straws work I had them when I was overseas there are dozens of water bacterial diseases which boiling wont get the biggest thing is if diarrhea starts you need to stop and get fresh bottle water into youself and see a doctor I know you don't want to here carry more water but it is a more sensible solution and life straws as a back up plan only I live on propertys and water is only in dams were cattle die pigs swim in pelicans s@#t in it if you are walking from camp for the day 4lt water is what you need to carry if the dam has a green scum around the edge I have had hunters who have been lost and they have drunk the dam water and got sick and their throat all inflamed and need medical help and some were only lost for a day or 2

227dick said:
life straws work I had them when I was overseas there are dozens of water bacterial diseases which boiling wont get the biggest thing is if diarrhea starts you need to stop and get fresh bottle water into youself and see a doctor I know you don't want to here carry more water but it is a more sensible solution and life straws as a back up plan only I live on propertys and water is only in dams were cattle die pigs swim in pelicans s@#t in it if you are walking from camp for the day 4lt water is what you need to carry if the dam has a green scum around the edge I have had hunters who have been lost and they have drunk the dam water and got sick and their throat all inflamed and need medical help and some were only lost for a day or 2
Yes, you have to be really desperate - if dying of thirst, diarrhoea should finalise your dehydration - permanently...

227dick said:

Trouble is, in some parts of the world contamination is everywhere. I remember catching an over night ferry in Eastern Borneo. The kitchen was to the rear of the boat before you finally got to a corridor where to the left and right you could step Into one of four filthy squat, drop toilets that dumped straight into the river below. That was fine.
It wasn't till the dishes were needing done did the hygiene become a real problem. The dishes were done in a bowl on the floor of that toilet hallway while the bowl was being filled by water being pumped up from the very rear of the ferry after the toilets. The now 'clean' plates where stacked up against the steps into the filthy drop toilets. So when ever someone came out of the toilet, what ever was collected on their feet, just dropped onto the plates. :argh: You just could not escape the filth on this river. They used to for everything.
Yep, the missus and I both ended up very sick. Fortunately I had, had the foresite to bring antibiotics with us.

227dick said:
world health org say 3.4 million die a year from the water

Local hospital has ten very sick kids from drinking dam water. Village well dried up so the villagers turned to the dam for water. Hasn't ended well.

Latest posts