250w Bi-Fold Solar Panels Strip Damage

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bogger said:
Mate take no notice of their return blurb rubbish, they can write what they like and it means and amounts to nothing. They sell in Australia so they come under Australian consumer law ................... full stop. Faulty panel or not, false and misleading representation alone gives you a full refund including any cost to return. In their case you could even claim all costs endured as a result because they would know that controller was not MPPT when sold you?
Hope you get it sorted as your certainly putting in the effort to do so :Y:

Aust Consumer Law
You can seek compensation for damages and losses you suffer due to a problem with a product or service if the supplier could have reasonably foreseen the problem. This is in addition to your repair, replacement or refund rights.

X2, Up to you but at this point with all your frustration, prob better to return it for being false advertising. Just tell them to collect or you'll take it up with ebay and paypal.
Paypal are pretty good at returning money and the turd will know that so just threaten that.

Then go to 4wd super centre and pick up in person, inspect it and on your way.

hmmm, thank you for good intention with diagram and simple instructions but It's a bit confusing on my end :(

Tathradj said:
Simple load test.
Get two 100w 12v bulbs.
Put your meter into voltage mode.
Measure the voltage across the bulb.
Then measure the amperage through the bulb as well.
Then, Hook the two bulbs together across each other and then measure again.
.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2436/1535930970_load_test.jpg

All I need is one good sunny day to do multimeter test for Short Curciut Current stats and then some average to good days for real world test to decide.

There is an argument though as controller states on front sticker it is 'MPPT Platinum Series' suggesting exactly that so seller in fact is selling an MPPT controller with solar panels kit as far as they are concerned but that wont cut the mustard for me and I will ask for supporting documentation to support this claim first as in this specific case it's only arguable manufacturer has mislead wholesalers, resellers, retail and stockists and nothing to do with the seller and their advertising however, being conveniently naive to advertise and sell products without having supporting documentation to understand exactly what is being sold by them is a questionable practice regarding business model :N:

Occasional_panner said:
Bogger said:
Mate take no notice of their return blurb rubbish, they can write what they like and it means and amounts to nothing. They sell in Australia so they come under Australian consumer law ................... full stop. Faulty panel or not, false and misleading representation alone gives you a full refund including any cost to return. In their case you could even claim all costs endured as a result because they would know that controller was not MPPT when sold you?
Hope you get it sorted as your certainly putting in the effort to do so :Y:

Aust Consumer Law
You can seek compensation for damages and losses you suffer due to a problem with a product or service if the supplier could have reasonably foreseen the problem. This is in addition to your repair, replacement or refund rights.

X2, Up to you but at this point with all your frustration, prob better to return it for being false advertising. Just tell them to collect or you'll take it up with ebay and paypal.
Paypal are pretty good at returning money and the turd will know that so just threaten that.

Then go to 4wd super centre and pick up in person, inspect it and on your way.

Can I test Short Circuit Current on one panel while the other panels is covered with a blanket when solar panels are connected to battery box? I have not done it with battery box connected yet or am I looking for trouble.

thought these panels only need daylight, doesn't reach full out put but there is an output, packaging, mine were in a cardboard box in a carry bag and thin foam sheets to protect the panel face if the polystyrene was smashed to pieces then one might think shipping damage what fleabay seller was it my initial 200 watt panel when fully charged with jack daniels was an 80 watter sold to me by fleabay thinkout, they avoided warranty like the plague

yass00_Au said:
Can I test Short Circuit Current on one panel while the other panels is covered with a blanket when solar panels are connected to battery box? I have not done it with battery box connected yet or am I looking for trouble.

No!
Don't do that, if you do you'll get the full amps from the battery and will certainly blow the fuse in the multimeter.

All you need to do is check the output from each panel individually.

What the seller has done is quite simply FRAUD, you are more than justified to return it.

So did you get stuck with an 80w panel that you paid for advertised as an 200w panel or was the plague treatable?

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
thought these panels only need daylight, doesn't reach full out put but there is an output, packaging, mine were in a cardboard box in a carry bag and thin foam sheets to protect the panel face if the polystyrene was smashed to pieces then one might think shipping damage what fleabay seller was it my initial 200 watt panel when fully charged with jack daniels was an 80 watter sold to me by fleabay thinkout, they avoided warranty like the plague

:Y:

Looks like this coming Sunday will the optimum opportunity to test each panel as it is forecast to be Sunny all day.

Occasional_panner said:
yass00_Au said:

No!
Don't do that, if you do you'll get the full amps from the battery and will certainly blow the fuse in the multimeter.

All you need to do is check the output from each panel individually.

What the seller has done is quite simply FRAUD, you are more than justified to return it.

I replied to seller in reply her comment that panels were damaged in transit:
The severe and not isolated but widespread blistering of busbar tabs with 2 not even connected within the sealed unit are not a result from damage caused during transit but caused during the manufacturing process also a quality control issue for item being released with visible damage landing in my ownership.

When I do my stats on Sunday then I can take it further.

Brain food:

1536032571_mppt_controller2.jpg

Yep I was thinking the same thing last night :Y: so I've been in the process of draining down battery since then and I'm currently drawn at 12.5V.

12.2V is 50% capacity and 65A.

Redfin said:
Run your battery down to 12.2 or thereabouts, set up panel and you may be surprised.

Panels were tested 09.09.2018 at correct angle of 34 degrees latitude for my region during peak sun period of 11:00 to 15:00 and 21C.

Open Circuit Voltage 21.01V

Short Circuit Current left/right panel:
11:00 Left panel = 3.08A
11:00 Right panel = 3.13A
12:00 Left panel = 3.99A
12:00 Right panel = 3.56A
13:00 Left panel = 4.09A
13:00 Right panel = 4.25A
14:00 Left pane = 3.51A
14:00 Right panel = 3.62A
15:00 Left panel = 3.01A
15:00 Right panel = 3.19A
Left panel 4.09A + Right panel 4.25A = 8.34A
Max Output? 175W = 8.34A x 21.01V

Battery charging (no consuming device):
11:00 = 12.3V
12:00 = 12.6V
13:00 = 12.8V
14:00 = 12.9V
15:00 = 12.9V

Battery charging real world test (with consuming device 75L Waeco fridge/freezer set to medium -14 and 04):
15:00 = 12.9V
15:30 = 12.5V
08:00 = 12.1V
10:30 = 12.1V
16:00 = 12.1V
17:30 = 11.9V

:N:

Latest posts