Wall of gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our young bloke started at a new underground site about a month back. About a week ago he mentioned one night after work they'd hit a rich pocket. Lotsa chunky stuff,nothing new underground it happens they say.He finished his swing 3-4 days later and got home and said well the last few days they've hit something pretty amazing,the level was closed off,he said one airlegger,one or two geos and a few bosses I'd imagine. For 3 days till the end of his shift they hauled it all out in utes,buckets and large water pods full of studded quartz apparently,only one bogger load came out in three days he reckons.
He said a few of the older fellas got a view of some of it early and they've seen pockets before but nothing quite like this.Young bloke seen a couple of football size bits. That's all,he was told. One piece was 95kg and the word was roughly 10million worth within a few days.No phones no cameras of course but they might be shown some footage at a work presentation maybe,it would be amazing to see and he might end up with a couple of spy pics hopefully.
Would of been a hell of a patch in 50 million yrs or whatever,oh well another one gone :D

A mate of mine out at Granites in the Tanami saw the same sorta thing. It was meshed off immediately until they could get a team in to pull it out.
I do have photos here somewhere. (that bit in my avatar is one of the pieces that came out).
1536376448_work_012.jpg

1536376448_work_013.jpg

Cheers simmo,bingo look at that,that would of been like a cold war op taking pics of that and getting them out alive :)
I work for newmont i know what there like with phs and cameras....

I think the seam they found in the tanami was near on 2000mtrs deep!!! (not sure on my 'facts' here!)
When I went down to the bottom, they couldnt keep the water out!!! (Dead Bullock soak was a geologists dream back then!)
Wicked sight to see, the water table, that far under ground, beneath the Tanami desert!! But I did it!

Ya'd want a pump fail contingency plan in place being down there with the water always moving towards you hey
:cloudy:
:argh:
:poop:
:pickshovel:
:goldnugget:
:100:

silver said:
Ya'd want a pump fail contingency plan in place being down there with the water always moving towards you hey
:cloudy:
:argh:
:poop:
:pickshovel:
:goldnugget:
:100:

i dont know how them pumps do it silver,there well built to stand the salinity of the water,its usually something in the range of 15-25 times more salty then sea water,not nice stuff.....

I heard of something similar sime time back. But they actually removed a very rich sample of ore and washed it down on the pad above ground. A few people descibed to me seeing chunks of gold falling out of it as they washed it down. The company then promtly pumped concrete in that particular drive and it remains there stil all sealed in P erhaps if the gold price rises they will open it up again. This was in a mine that is not a gold mine as such. If its not true its a nice story anyway ;)

Whilst we are on stories bud!!!!!
There were two huge Ball mills at Granites, when I was there.

(For those that dont know, a ball mill is similar to a concrete truck, but many times bigger, there are big balls of steel inside, and the whole thing is rotating.... the ore is fed in, and the balls and water etc, roll around, smashing, mashing the ore to nigh on liquid state... this then gets 'siphoned' off to go thru the rest of the process...)

Anyway, when I was there, one mill was in shut down to get the wear plates replaced. (as you can imagine, big balls rolling around, would damage the outer casing of the 'concrete truck' so thick wear plates are bolted inside the drum.)

So these fitters would go into the drum, the plate was unbolted from the out side, and the plate removed... in time, reverse process, and new thick plates installed....

My point to this long drawn out description, is the guys, when they came out of the mill, were BLACK...and I mean covered!!! They walked in a plastic lined 'channel', and into a 'shower' where they would wash down and take off their overalls, and all the crap that was washed off them, went back into the system to be processed!!!!

True story!!
1536485985_1024_mill.jpg

The young bloke goldfreak said the geos where on the rom pad smashing it all with with hammers etc,the mine changed hands about 2 weeks prior to this find,so looks good for there future id say.
Simmo where you out at the granites long or just up there on shutdowns etc,been out there for a look and was thinking of going back this yr but its just so tied up when ya look into it,all native title to,locals have got supplejack (if my memories correct) station nearby etc,we didnt get across to granites area but close.....

That's the same reason the 2 fellows took so long to exit the Beaconsfield Mine after they were rescued.... I was told that they were covered in Gold, and Management 'told' them to shower before seeing Family...... ]:D

LW.....

Makes you wonder with any huge gold reserve finds if it would be better slowly releasing it into the market rather than dumping it all and sending the price down. Thats why I only show people a few tiny bits of gold I have found over and over again. Wouldnt want to show my collection in full and effect the world gold price :playful:

Goldfreak said:
Makes you wonder with any huge gold reserve finds if it would be better slowly releasing it into the market rather than dumping it all and sending the price down. Thats why I only show people a few tiny bits of gold I have found over and over again. Wouldnt want to show my collection in full and effect the world gold price :playful:
You frikkin wish!

GoldFreak, I was sent out there prolly 23 years ago, to fix their TV system. ( I was working out of Alice at the time..) (Hence my Winneke gold fields jaunts!)
As I said before, Dead Bullock Soak, that is huge right now, was a drawing on a wall when I was there!

I think back then, I was charging around $600 a day.. big bux! I fixed their TV system, in about 4 days I think?

Due to leave, and waiting for my plane, the Mine Manager walks out and says, Hey Simmo, you are gonna have to sit this plane out.... fly out tomorrow...
I says, well thats another day, another $600??? He shrugs his shoulders, and walks off.....

So I stand at the airfield fence, and the plane lands, few blokes get off, and help to unload a photocopier...
Then two security guards take a box, they carried it easily, so could have only been 20 or 30 kilo's... to the plane.
They strapped the box down, and the plane took off... I think 12 seats empty.....
I went back to my quarters....

So back then, Granites, was a dry camp... no alcohol... :argh:
A few fella's came over to my donga and said, hey, wanna come over for a beer??? :inlove:
They had a ute, called the Rabbit Flat Flyer, that used to shoot off during night shift, to the Rabbit flat pub, and buy cartons at $50 a box!!
Anyway, I met up with a super, over a beer, and he took me UG to look at the water table...
I had photos of that too, but they are long lost!!!

As an aside, I fixed their TV system, and about a month later, they made it a wet camp, and had a social club/bar... This was right next to the head end for the TV system...
Anyway, social club burnt down and all my hard work was undone!!! (That in itself, starts another story!)

Latest posts