Planning a trip to WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi fellow members.

Im seeking some advice. Im planning a trip to WA next year. I have never been over there before and just started researching. Whats the best way to approach pastoral owners to get permissions to detect. Im unsure of what needs to be done to get in contact with the property owner to ask for permission. Does the Government wa mining department give you the pastoralist contact info or do I have to research this myself? I would love to hear from others experiences and suggestions.

Cheers Colin

Chucky Boy, I've highlighted a clause in the extract below.

extract from WA Mines Dept
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Documents/Safety/MSH_G_ProspectingWA.pdf

Notification to the pastoralist for entry to the pastoral lease
When a holder of a Miners Right intends to prospect on a pastoral lease he/she shall take all reasonable and practicable steps to:
notify the pastoralist to indicate where they will be and for how long. This is to ensure the safety of the prospectors if the pastoralist has planned activities in the area (such as mustering, baiting, vermin culling activities etc), that the prospector intends to use or prospect;
take all necessary steps to prevent fire, damage to trees or other property and to prevent damage to any property or livestock;
cause as little inconvenience as possible to the pastoralist and restrict the number of passes or repasses to the minimum necessary for the purpose of mining on or marking out other land;
comply with any reasonable request made by the pastoralist in relation to the passing and repassing; and
repair any damage caused by vehicles to tracks and to lease holder improvements during the passing and repassing.
It is an offence to use firearms on a pastoral lease. The Land Administration Act 1997 under Offences on Crown Land, section 267 (2)(h) states A person who, without either the permission of the Minister or reasonable excuse discharges any firearm or other weapon on Crown land, commits an offence and is liable to a penalty of $10,000 and, in the case of an offence of a continuing nature, to a daily penalty of $200.

How do I contact the tenement holders, pastoralists and private landowners?
If you plan to prospect on ground that is covered by a mining tenement, you
must contact the tenement holder(s) and obtain written permission to prospect
on their ground.
Consent can be sought by sending a letter, fax or email. Names and addresses of tenement holders for each tenement can be found using the Tengraph mapping system available at all Mining Registrar offices or online.
It can be beneficial to include, as part of the request, some kind of formal written agreement that you and the tenement holder can both sign. Many mining companies are satisfied with this approach. Often the only condition a tenement holder requires is for the prospector to report the location of any gold finds.
This information provides the tenement holder with spot indications of gold for their records.
Good communications with the holder will improve and confirm relations between prospectors and tenement owners.
When prospecting on a pastoral lease you must take all reasonable and practical steps to notify the pastoralist. This can be in person, by mail or telephone, giving details of where you plan to operate and for how long.
You can obtain the address of the pastoralist by contacting any of DMIRS Mining Registrar offices (see contact list at back of this booklet). This is the only authoritative source for this information and is only released under the terms of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety and the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage.
Prospectors should communicate with pastoralists. The rights of the pastoralist are very important as they are legal occupiers of the land. Cooperation will reduce daily problems and improve long term relationships. Prospectors should abide by instructions about water supply for stock, firearms and dogs while on a pastoral lease. Campsites should be placed well away from stock water supplies and the area kept clean, wear and tear on roads and tracks should be minimised and fences and gates should not be damaged.
You may be liable for compensation for any damage you cause to a pastoralists infrastructure, such as fence or road.
Addresses for private landowners

Chuky boy said:
Hi fellow members.

Im seeking some advice. Im planning a trip to WA next year. I have never been over there before and just started researching. Whats the best way to approach pastoral owners to get permissions to detect. Im unsure of what needs to be done to get in contact with the property owner to ask for permission. Does the Government wa mining department give you the pastoralist contact info or do I have to research this myself? I would love to hear from others experiences and suggestions.
ChukyBoy also note, you don't generally need permission from the pastoralist (tho its good courtesy to notify them), but, you need to check on TenGraph for current mining leases that may exist over the pastoral lease. If there is one you will need to get written permission from the tenement/lease holder.
If only an Exploration Licence exists you need to get a 40E permit

Thanks Ded Driver,
Its all a bit daunting never done this before. I want to make sure I cover all basis before heading over there. From what I have heard, WA is completely different compared to Vic as to allowable detecting areas.

Chuky boy said:
Thanks Ded Driver,
Its all a bit daunting never done this before. I want to make sure I cover all basis before heading over there. From what I have heard, WA is completely different compared to Vic as to allowable detecting areas.

yeah don't we know it. Some aspects may be better, some worse, but all up its a proverbial PITA.
As there is very little good ground that is pure UCL (unoccupied Crown Land), the easiest access is often to get a 40E on an Exploration Licence area .... but you have to check there are no other underlying tenements. That's what Tengraph is for.
And we cant prospect in State Forest :awful:

No, not for pending leases, but you do need to check that they don't become 'live' without you noticing. Yes, notify the pastoralist, courtesy is a wonderful thing, and, who knows the area better?...best info you will get! You need a 40e for live exploration leases, and you need to allow 21 days from grant of permission before you are allowed access.

Chuky boy said:
So do I need a 40e permit for pending leases (exploration, mining or prospecting)?

Im still fairly new to the gold prospecting game myself, & still learning/getting my head around all of Tengraph & the rules.. Some explanations & rules are hard to locate in the Dept Mines website, & 'pending' is one of them. I haven't been on any pending areas, but I THINK if its over an Exploration Licence, you can still access that area under a 40E permit, BUT, you need to check every day if the 'pending' licence has been granted & it has converted to a 'live' tenement. When that happens you must leave the area & then get permission from the tenement holder.
Any underlying tenement that exists takes precedence & you need the holders permission.
The Mines Dept are very helpful & approachable. If in any doubt its a good idea to visit an office or email them with your queries. They generally respond to emails very rapidly, often same day.
1ST PRIORITY THO, YOU MUST HAVE A WA 'MINERS RIGHT' TO DO ANYTHING. $25 and valid for life. keep a photocopy in your car, & a photo on your phone.
1 more thing to be aware of. Phone signal in the WA goldfields can be non-existent or hit-n-miss. (sat phone is good). Most towns have at least Telstra & a lot have Optus, & whilst Telstra has the most coverage, range is limited outside of towns. Best to get a mobile phone coverage map from your provider to check the area you are visiting. 2 other basic 'must haves' ... UHF in your vehicle, & a PLB

Hi Chucky boy.

When a few of us applied and received Section 40Es earlier this year, the emailed 40E docs named the Pastorialist(s) that we needed to contact (generally a name and phone number).

The Pastorialists are pretty good, and nearly always get back to you (you may be the only legal ones there, so they'll generally look out for you), and ask that you tell them when you are entering and leaving their lease and where you plan to be. Makes good sense if they are having a feral cull or muster and you'll be in their way.

Don't forget to have a copy of your 40E and WA Miners Right with you at all times.

We (AUaddict and I) were stopped by an irate Lease Holder who was absolutely fed up with Claim Jumpers. We showed him our paperwork, after which he calmed right down and became friendly. He sputtered that we were the "only legal ones that he'd met in a long time" (not sure how long though). He invited us back to see his workings. Was very educational.

I've been run out of Tucson by cowboy Yanks for doing an imitation of "the mating call of an American housewife" (my very young/immature days), but never by an Aussie lease-holder.

G'day Chuky, i am no expert but we have spent the last two winters in WA, so i have some idea on what is required. First a lot of people will tell you you that you only need to make an effort to contact the pasturalist well i think common courtesy is that all properties have the phone on and direct contact goes a long way. Next all the department of mines and petroleum offices i have called into have been so helpfull they are wonderful and will go through all the requirements with you, you can get maps from them that will show you what the different tenements aare but you need to know what areas you want to look at first this info is available through tengraph.as has already been told to you you will need a miners license that you can buy online at $25 for life it w'ont break the bank you will also need to be a member of apla (amalgamated prospectors and leaseholders association) as most mining companies w'ont allow access unless you are.
You can take out a 40e on exploration land ,and there is a hell of a lot of it, you don't need permission to go on pending ground and you need written permission to go on a minning lease.
I hope this helps and feel free to pm me
Jim

There is some great info here on WA, have a good read up first. "Epic trips" , camping and 4x4 section etc.
The first time over there really needs good research, or it will become a disaster or even deadly to a novice.
Almost a different world once you go 300km north of Kal.
Planned correctly and you will always want to go back and do it again.
:perfect:

Latest posts