Light Bar Wiring Issues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the wiring Gurus
So I bought a Light Bar and Wiring kit combo from a web based site. They do have a few stores Aus wide as well. Vehicle is a Nissan XTrail. Installed all as per direction, including doing the negative wired vehicles. I now got the light bar lighting up on low beam. I reckon I now need to swap wires going into the relay to fix the issue. Would this be the right course of action.

Almost forgot to mention, I did Email them ( only contact option there) and the short answer was "So sad, to bad, pay a sparky to fix it".

post any wiring instructions/pics they provided and details of exactly what you did.
The more info you provide will make it easier to fix.

Bogger said:
Just a guess ................. are your headlights positive or negative switching ? (Most likely negative switching) Pretty sure that will be your issue ? If this is the case you actually use the earth to switch relay and not the positive. The diagram will give you an idea .................. relay only sees earth when high beam does. No earth no relay activation. but just a guess as can't see your vehicle

The XTrail is negative switched. With the wires I moved in the original position, nothing worked. In current configuration, high beam works as it should as does low beam. Just the bar comes on on the wrong setting

Occasional_panner said:
post any wiring instructions/pics they provided and details of exactly what you did.
The more info you provide will make it easier to fix.

All the instructions are on the website. Don't want to publicly bag the company or been seen as supplying advertising. It is NOT Fleabay based

modern vehicles have had floating earth since the early 2000's the hb wire goes negative at the globe to activate the hb , sounds mad ah :(
but it was done to help stop spikes going to the cars body computer
i will photo how mine is wired if required, but what Bogger posted will get you there :Y:

This was their actual reply. Just got back from fishing so doing a clean up first. Reading the comments on the Utube vid is quite interesting

If you have watched the videos and wired it all accordingly your best bet would be to speak to an auto electrician as they will be able to have a look and advise you of any issues.

Regards
Tiali
The 4WD & Outdoor Supacentre Team

My translation is "So sad to bad"

spent the better part of the day fiddling with connectors, reading 4wd forums, multi meter got a work out and I now have less hair. Several times went back to their vid to put plugs back to neg wired formation. The damn bar never lit up once on high or low beam. Getting the :poop: big time cause it was working on low beam. ]:D It's not that hard really. Wriggled all the connectors when it started working again??????? Switch to high, no light bar, low beam no light bar. WT............... Wriggle everything again, nothing. Tapped the relay, the bar works. high beam, no light bar, low beam no light bar. Tap relay again, there be light. Faulty freaking relay. Gunna have to get a new relay before finishing it off. Very annoyed.

As for the response, seems they never do give an answer to a straight forward question from what I have read. Benefit of the doubt though will be given

Have you tried hooking the relay itself to the battery to check it actuates properly?
At this point I'd put your multi meter into continuity mode and check that the relay closes properly when actuated, then the adapter cables as well for any breaks.

To make it easier to understand the relay isn't polarized so the method of switching (Negative or Positive) is irrelevant. It's the position of the wires in the plug that matters

It may be that your plug is wired different from the 2 diagrams shown in the manual. That is where a multimeter comes in handy to check what signal comes out of where in the plug when you have the low and high beams turned on.
The only 2 wires you need to know the location of is the Common ground and the High beam then you can wire the plug up accordingly.

Found which pin was high beam and switched things around. By the time I had tapped on the relay frustration was just to high. Will sort it out when I get the new relay.

Wiring harnesses from Stedi have a rectifier diode at the relay. Doesnt matter what switching or polarity system is used itll work. They even have adapters for numerous globes, though I prefer not to route cable through headlight housing if avoidable. Nissan NP300 require a special module & new land cruisers cant be wired at the headlight.

No to be a PITA, but i have stopped helping people wiring their own systems; when they do not have test gear or a basic understanding..

Was much easier with older cars, and simple fuse systems etc...

These days with common rail and fancy diagnostics etc etc Seen too many simple Spotlight or Led additions or UHF radio install go BUGGER up big time and some have cost the owners big dollars..

May only be 12V but you start connecting the wrong wires and bridging and or tapping into the wrong cct and BANG.... And I am not going to take on the responsibility...

And then you get error codes or blow some hard to get fuse and need to have an Auto Electrician or experienced person, spend hrs to fix a USER generated error...

So while "So sad, to bad, pay a sparky to fix it " sounds tough... With the possible $$$$$ damage, I can understand their lack of involvement as often they will get the blame when it goes to shit....

All good to DIY, but people forget it is not 1 + 1 = 2 and then the legal side of actually how the Spotlights / Led bars are mounted... Many place on TOP of the Bull-bar but that is not legal in Qld and I am guessing a few other states as well... Can be done if special flex or breakaway mounts but most a FIXED SOLID...

Thanks for all the replies. AngerManagement understand exactly where you are coming. I did find which pin activated High beam which is why it had me stumped. Picked up a new relay today and did a quick plug in to test. 10 cycles and light bar came on every time so original relay was faulty. I wont be buying any further "plug and play" stuff from these guys

Got the new relay, hooked everything up then started back tracking wiring. Short answer is, if you get this harness and you have your lights coming on same as me, what worked in my case was to switch the switching wires that go into the headlight. The red hooks into the black and the black hooks into the white. This is on the aftermarket wiring loom. Oh, and a better quality relay helps too.

( can't spell edit)

What on earth happened to this thread?
Bogger had a fair bit of helpful input and it's all been deleted???? WTF

Glad you sorted it out Feral.

Latest posts