Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
As Goldwright said, the Nox kills the CTX in dense target areas, Kid if you detect sites that are as trashy as I do you would very quickly see that the CTX gets very confused it dense trash where as the Nox will pick out good targets such as goldies and silvers easily among the trash.
Anyway it's just picking the right detector for the right job.

you must come up and do mount panorama with me one day :playful: :playful: :playful: :playful:

the 17 is useless , the 11 go low and 'super' slow will not i find confuse it too much :cool:
speed ya swing up and that goes out the window :(
checking each likely target by doing a coupla 360's around em :Y:
the 6in is a whole new story, plucking coins out of fields of ringpulls is super easy :cool: :cool:
the down side is you don't cover to much ground :)

for me i have the 'right' detector :party: and it's only a choice of coil to suit the environment to change :cool: :Y:
if i knew the wife wouldn't divorce me , i'd have two/three 3030's as to not have to spend just on 4 minutes changing coils ;)

Heatho said:
Fnx50 said:
Heatho said:
Yes you can roll back the firmware. :Y:

Great! How?

Connect the detector to your computer with the USB cable, then open the MUU, after it scans the detector there will be 3 dots down the bottom of the right hand side, click on them and it will open utility into the roll back mode. :Y:

Thanks Heatho. Before the update, I was completely in love with my Nox 800. I hunt mostly old sites that are full of trash and, pre update, I loved the 800's ability to pick out the good targets amongst all the crap. i used it , post update, yesterday for over 8 hours and I felt far less confident in what i was hearing. As a tone hunter, i felt the update had diminished its ability to lock onto good targets clearly. Conversely, when I used my 600, with a 6" coil, the update didn't seem to impact the detectors performance. I will put the 11" back on the 600 to see if that makes a difference to its performance.

With the, perceived, impact on the 800 with a 11" coil, I wonder just how much that would amplify when i get the larger coil. IF IT EVER GETS HERE!!!!!!!

I also didn't see any improvement in the depth indicator. It is way out, but is more accurate after I have pinpointed the target.

I stress that my observations of the update are from a bloke who relies on tone response. TID's are an afterthought. :)

Another point is that I spent the day on a site I have been over on several occasions. So, I was fully aware of the conditions there.

David

Yeah I wish they'd hurry up with the large coil as well. Interesting what you have written regarding the update, I'll post some more thoughts after some more use. At least it gives the option to roll back, that's great to be able to do so if needed.

ctxkid said:
Heatho said:
As Goldwright said, the Nox kills the CTX in dense target areas, Kid if you detect sites that are as trashy as I do you would very quickly see that the CTX gets very confused it dense trash where as the Nox will pick out good targets such as goldies and silvers easily among the trash.
Anyway it's just picking the right detector for the right job.

you must come up and do mount panorama with me one day :playful: :playful: :playful: :playful:

the 17 is useless , the 11 go low and 'super' slow will not i find confuse it too much :cool:
speed ya swing up and that goes out the window :(
checking each likely target by doing a coupla 360's around em :Y:
the 6in is a whole new story, plucking coins out of fields of ringpulls is super easy :cool: :cool:
the down side is you don't cover to much ground :)

for me i have the 'right' detector :party: and it's only a choice of coil to suit the environment to change :cool: :Y:
if i knew the wife wouldn't divorce me , i'd have two/three 3030's as to not have to spend just on 4 minutes changing coils ;)

Can cover plenty of ground with the 11" on the Nox and still be confident of missing very little among heavy trash, even swinging at a reasonable pace too. I've found the only time you need to slow right down with it is when detecting with lots of deep iron trash in the ground as the false high tones can get a bit annoying.

Each to their own. Can never have too many detectors.

if only the 3030 had the recovery rate of the nox, the 'one thing' i would like to see an 'update' to the 3030 fix :cool:

come on Minelab , please make it the final step better ;)

I totally agree there, not sure if it can be made to process and or recover faster, I was thinking that maybe a brighter and shorter audio response might help as in a new audio option but I'm not sure if it would be the same as running the Nox on it's higher recovery speed settings.

If you turn the Nox recovery speed settings down it does start to sound quite a bit like the CTX's audio response and recovery. I usually run my CTX on fast mode as well.

Detecting in normal conditions with the Nox it doesn't really feel that special but once you get into a very dense trash area you start to hear that it is very very fast with very discrete audio tones instead of sounding like it's struggling and combining target tones and sounding a bit mushy. I know that this is what the "high trash" target separation and "fast" mode does but yeah it does struggle sometimes with nemerous very close together targets.

Would be great if this could be sorted out with just a firmware update.

Smoky bandit said:
Heatho said:
It's the discrimination the CTX uses that makes it so special to me Smoky. They will always be very different detectors.

But yeah the Nox is 90% as awesome for half the price. Win win.
Cheers Heatho
I was concidering buying a ctx but the extra 10% may not be worth the extra $1200.. I think I will hold off for a nother few months and see what happens.
Cheers Mate :Y:
On the beach its more like 25% especially with the big coil . Go buy one smoky wont be disappointed. :)

Smoky bandit said:
ctxkid said:
Smoky bandit said:
[Not fooling myself mate I just not sure if a ctx will find anything a equinox wont in the right hands..And I wonder if it's worth the extra $1200 or so. :Y:
I might hire one for a few days and see for myself. :Y:
as anyone with one will attest to, is they take many hours to truly start talking to you :cool:

any every different patch changes the dialect just a little ;)

but yeah after a coupla days might see you at first base :playful: :playful:
I'm only attracted to the discrimination of the ctx so the plan is to set a cherry picking program and see if that's worth the extra $$$$..Hopefully that wont take very long.. :Y: :Y:Though there are quite a few ctx owners that are now using a Nox as there goto detector.. that is interesting :Y: . :eek:
Smokey if we catch up for a detect I will bring you the ctx and show you how the dicrimination program works . Deal :Y:

Danny13 said:
Smoky bandit said:
ctxkid said:
Smoky bandit said:
[Not fooling myself mate I just not sure if a ctx will find anything a equinox wont in the right hands..And I wonder if it's worth the extra $1200 or so. :Y:
I might hire one for a few days and see for myself. :Y:
as anyone with one will attest to, is they take many hours to truly start talking to you :cool:

any every different patch changes the dialect just a little ;)

but yeah after a coupla days might see you at first base :playful: :playful:
I'm only attracted to the discrimination of the ctx so the plan is to set a cherry picking program and see if that's worth the extra $$$$..Hopefully that wont take very long.. :Y: :Y:Though there are quite a few ctx owners that are now using a Nox as there goto detector.. that is interesting :Y: . :eek:
Smokey if we catch up for a detect I will bring you the ctx and show you how the dicrimination program works . Deal :Y:
Sound great Dan :Y: :Y:
We got to do it soon.
I got weekends off from now on :playful: :beer:

have done the down load and found a silver on its edge about 80mm down and the tone was nice and constant also ran it on 25 and was very stable had to drop it done to22 a couple of times the tone are I think slightly different but over all it seems to be about the same maybe a bit more better discrimination at depth :Y:

hey guys, whats the latest software version?? i just got my nox 800 back from minelab for a repair, and i hooked up the updator and it said i have the latest version, 1.50, i thought i,d better ask,coz i can swear i saw a youtbe guy update and he went from 1.50 to 1.75..am i missing something? (and yes, i followed the update instructions to the letter) ..cheers guys :)

Yes, the update version is 1.75. Its strange that you are getting that message. Maybe, if you re-install the update on your computer and try again, you may have a better result.

Fnx50 said:
Yes, the update version is 1.75. Its strange that you are getting that message. Maybe, if you re-install the update on your computer and try again, you may have a better result.

got it..i ran the program on another pc,a mac running windows with a fresh install of windows and all good..my only concern now, is im selling the mac,and if i decide later to rollback,if that option will still be available on another computer :8

227dick said:
has any one done a roll back and do you think the update has made the equinox better
Theres a couple of tests on you tube on silver coin on edge..
Nox against Nox.. one with upgrade..very interesting.

Hi All

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are / Results are on any update improvements??.
Unfortunately I dont have a computer to do the update!, Hopefully the next update might let you do it via Bluetooth from phone or tablet.
Anyway Im sure there are lots out there wondering how much of an improvement the update actually made.
Anyway looking forward to hear everyones thoughts.

Cheers

Hi All Nox owners,
I've had my 800 for a couple of months now and have only detected on beaches. Today I went to a local oval and tried detecting there and was very overwhelmed by the constant signals it was giving off. How do you all tell whether there it is a good signal or not, as when I'm detecting on the beach most of the time the Nox doesn't make a noise or give off a number unless there is a target below. Today at the local oval the Nox just seemed to constantly have a signal numbers jumping all over the place, I didn't know when to dig or not to dig. I'm away for a couple of weeks now heading up to lightning ridge through all the gold mining towns along the way but when I get back would love to meet up with someone with experience with the Nox and learn a few tips. I'm in the Shire south of Sydney.
Thanks Terry :pickshovel:

the jury is still out for me, i may rollback..i went out for a four hour hunt,and these are my initial impressions so far..

1. it seems to "hit" differently,IE, not as hard as before..no biggie, but noticeable..

2. depth meter seems a little better,still could be better.

i did come across something that i may have to investigate further, and this is what happened.. i got a signal ranging from 17-19 (with a quick 20-21) and it seemed like a bigger target than a coin,something made me want to investigate, coz i thought coin spill,and the nox sux with spills,lol..anyway, it turned out to be a 2 dollar coin about 10 mm under the dirt..after retrieving the coin, i swung back over, expecting something else,coz of the initial numbers and size, but lo and behold, nothing..only happened with that extremely shallow coin, but i cant recall a similar scenario on the previous software..anyway, more testing to do,at this stage, im leaning seriously towards rolling back, for my type of hunting.

Latest posts