Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
It's the discrimination the CTX uses that makes it so special to me Smoky. They will always be very different detectors.

But yeah the Nox is 90% as awesome for half the price. Win win.
Cheers Heatho
I was concidering buying a ctx but the extra 10% may not be worth the extra $1200.. I think I will hold off for a nother few months and see what happens.
Cheers Mate :Y:

I spent 2 hours today with the new update.

Seems very similar to before although I did pick up a couple 1c and 2c signals that maybe I had just missed before.

Anyways, I need more time with it to see...

Nuggetbuster said:
mbasko said:
Trash said:
Im curious Did anyone get an email from Minelab or a Minelab dealer on the software update ....?
Got an email from Minelab directly about the update at 11:20am this morning.

They were a bit late sending me the email then... I didn't get mine until 11:21 am :mad:
Actually you got your early - mine was exactly 11:22am :p :D

goldwright said:
Think they should get rid of exchange for Gpz and CTX and use this format super easy no programs or apps download and update.
strange thing .....
when i tried to load exchange my anti virus shut it down point blank , calling it a trojan :eek:

both cd and downloaded version didn't make it past the firewall :(

contacted Minelab and got no reasonable :bomb: explanation ;)

Smoky bandit said:
I was concidering buying a ctx but the extra 10% may not be worth the extra $1200..

don't fool yourself ;)

the CTX is more than just a gps :playful:

the ability to see multiple targets and the outright discrimination of the CTX will always see it rule supreme :cool: :cool:

long live the king, when Minelab make better , i'll have one ;)

ctxkid said:
Smoky bandit said:
I was concidering buying a ctx but the extra 10% may not be worth the extra $1200..

don't fool yourself ;)

the CTX is more than just a gps :playful:

the ability to see multiple targets and the outright discrimination of the CTX will always see it rule supreme :cool: :cool:

long live the king, when Minelab make better , i'll have one ;)
Not fooling myself mate I just not sure if a ctx will find anything a equinox wont in the right hands..And I wonder if it's worth the extra $1200 or so. :Y:
I might hire one for a few days and see for myself. :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
[Not fooling myself mate I just not sure if a ctx will find anything a equinox wont in the right hands..And I wonder if it's worth the extra $1200 or so. :Y:
as anyone with one will attest to, is they take many hours to truly start talking to you :cool:

any every different patch changes the dialect just a little ;)

but yeah after a coupla days might see you at first base :playful: :playful:

ctxkid said:
Smoky bandit said:
[Not fooling myself mate I just not sure if a ctx will find anything a equinox wont in the right hands..And I wonder if it's worth the extra $1200 or so. :Y:
as anyone with one will attest to, is they take many hours to truly start talking to you :cool:

any every different patch changes the dialect just a little ;)

but yeah after a coupla days might see you at first base :playful: :playful:
I'm only attracted to the discrimination of the ctx so the plan is to set a cherry picking program and see if that's worth the extra $$$$..Hopefully that wont take very long.. :Y: :Y:Though there are quite a few ctx owners that are now using a Nox as there goto detector.. that is interesting :Y: . :eek:

To truly utilise either the CTX or NOX is open, no discrimination and while the CTX's ID is a little more accurate the Nox kills it when there is loads of targets. Not saying you should sell your CTX and buy a nox but my CTX hasent been used in months as the Nox is doing it and doing it well.

goldwright said:
To truly utilise either the CTX or NOX is open, no discrimination and while the CTX's ID is a little more accurate the Nox kills it when there is loads of targets. Not saying you should sell your CTX and buy a nox but my CTX hasent been used in months as the Nox is doing it and doing it well.

open screen would drive you mad :awful:

my detecting is coin only ;) i don't want to see iron :poop: :poop:

i for one bought the 6 and 17in coils to cover every scenario of target density , the 6inch on a CTX will pick a coin out of ground so filled with crap that a single pass sounds like playing pacman :cool: :cool:

if i loose more upper body strength , i may consider a nox :8 :8 :playful: but consider it as a backward move :Y:

As Goldwright said, the Nox kills the CTX in dense target areas, Kid if you detect sites that are as trashy as I do you would very quickly see that the CTX gets very confused it dense trash where as the Nox will pick out good targets such as goldies and silvers easily among the trash.

On the beaches though with the 17" coil the CTX kills the Nox, especially on really deep targets, on the beaches lately I've been maxing out my CTX on auto+3 sensitivity setting and it punches super deep, I don't know the exact depth but some $2 coins I get are rediculously deep, way out of the range of the Nox. In the CTX manual it says not to use auto sens on the beach but I've found it works extremely well.

Anyway it's just picking the right detector for the right job.

Fnx50 said:
Heatho said:
Yes you can roll back the firmware. :Y:

Great! How?

Connect the detector to your computer with the USB cable, then open the MUU, after it scans the detector there will be 3 dots down the bottom of the right hand side, click on them and it will open utility into the roll back mode. :Y:

Yep me to.. I only use open screen at the beach.. Just my personal preference though.
After using the Nox with updated software for over 10hrs I cant say I've noted any change other than depth indicator seems to be spot on..I did find a $2 coin on edge at least 6 inches deep and the id and tone was very stable...Got a couple of thrippys that hit hard at 8inches but it always hit the silvers hard... even the little ones.. :perfect:

Heatho said:
Do you still think it runs more stable at higher sensitivty Smoky?
Hi mate
I ran it today at the beach on max ..25
I do think it was slightly smoother.But cant be sure as that little beach is so mineralized it changes all the time... depending on how hard the swell has been hitting it..Some days its black sand others its red then back to white.But it definitely is smother in my yard where I was getting all the silvers.