Seeking Your Valued Opinions - Thanks In Advance.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:eek:

Sadly I didn't find these but I did get them for "free" because my wife (2nd) had an antique business well before I met here and after our recent move she dug them up again and handed them over :party:

I have no need for them except the monetary value,so they will be up for sale :cool: after I finish here gaining more details.

No 1 -

1533601066_img_1075.jpg

Mens gold signet ring stamped 14k with a ruby.

With the ring being older I am guessing the ruby is real,the ring is very thin at the base being well worn with a small crap I just noticed :/

Maybe some jeweller can fill it cheap if any buyer provides the gold.

I am also wondering is it rose coloured gold or just needs a good clean (maybe hard to tell from the photo)

Some more details -

Equinox 600 numbers - 17-18

Weight - 4.31g

No 2 -

1533601561_img_1077.jpg

1533601709_img_1082.jpg

Edwardian gold brooch with a ruby,it even has a small remnant of the original gold clip on chain.

Some more details -

Equinox 600 numbers - 7- 8 - 9 (8 mostly)

Weight - 2.67g

Although it is stamped with the number 15 (and other illegible writing) I am NOT sure it is 15k.

The brooch is hollow so I am wondering if this makes the difference in the numbers.

No 3 -

1533602198_img_1083.jpg

1533604135_img_1084.jpg

A pair of Rodd made shield cufflinks stamped 9c - something - DOUBLE GOLD - the something looks like an I with the top broken off then stuck on the side or even half of the letter H :/

Some more details -

Equinox 600 numbers - 17-18

Weight - 3.03g (each)

I have read two different opinions about these with Double Gold meaning Double Gilded not solid 9ct

No 4 -

1533602727_img_1076.jpg

1533602752_img_1085.jpg

This ring is bashed up pretty bad,if you were wearing it you could have lost your finger 8.(

It is clearly stamped 333 making it 8ct I believe.

I only uploaded this ring to show you the 4 items I earned through nearly 20 yrs of my second marriage :rolleyes:

Some more details -

Equinox 600 number - 8

Weight - 1.86g

Although the citrine stone is old,very worn and chipped now I removed it would it still be worth anything although I don't expect it to be.

Thankyou for trolling through my long winded post but I needed to do due diligence before I offer any items for sale here or elsewhere.

Please give me your opinions expert or otherwise,I need and appreciate them and you won't offend me :D

It is fine also if you have a good guess at the value beyond scrap value no problem.

Very hard to find info on some of the above, though I suspect the ring might need a clean due to oxidation of the copper component of the 14K. The pendant initials after the 15 are most likely the makers mark, possibly CS, and I'd say the double gold on the cufflinks refers to double layering of the gold plating, most likely over silver. Not 100% sure, though hopefully something to get started on. Sometimes "double" can also mean two layers on gold gilt items as well for improved wear.

I think Silver has it right - #1 and #2 both look masonic to me. The ring needs a good blast in an ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of the grime in the crevices. Perhaps both items are insignia of rank in a lodge, with rubies denoting a specific freemasonry level? If they are masonic, these two may have some collector value above scrap.

I reckon the inscription on #3, the Rodd cufflinks, says "9Ct" - probably denoting 9 carat gold plate on a stirling silver base, as per Goldpick's comment above. The chain links are welded, so it's unlikely to be just 'muck metal' under the plating.

If #4 IS only 8 carat and weighs less than 2 grams, there's not much gold at all in that little ring, so the scrap value will be minimal.

Hey mate,

Get yourself a UV led torch off somewhere like ebay for a couple of bucks.

Rubies glow under UV light.

I have one for when I go through a creek that has known ruby deposits, I have found a few small ones so far.

Cheers
Philthy

Number 3 (9ct Double Gold) usually means rolled gold, if you take a close look at the cuff links you may see the copper layer on the side. Rodd was a very well known brand.
Number 2 is possibly rolled gold as well.
Often these pieces received a very light gold plating to make them look more appealing. Hence the brighter colour in the deeper sections.

Rolled gold was made by fusing 2 or 3 plates of metal together, in the case of double rolled gold the outer two layers were usually 9ct gold, the sandwiched piece could be silver or (more often) a base metal (copper, brass etc).
Single rolled gold had only one side of 9 ct gold (or other depending where it was made) and base metal back, it was usually used in medals and such like.
If anyone has found a medal with a very corroded back and a gold looking front , this is what you have found.

For double rolled gold the three plates were heated sometimes under pressure until they were fused together.
The (here comes the clue) the whole sheet was rolled out to what ever thickness was needed.

Rolled gold wire is made from single sided plate rolled out and cut into a long strip, swaged into a curved shape and drawn through draw plates until the two edges met. when finished it appear as gold all around, to identify you need to test an open end.

The intention was to make the jewellery piece more affordable.

Tathradj said:
Early Red Masonic.
I think they are from an old English Charter.
Nice spotting Silver. :) :)

Thankyou Tathradj,and of course our very own P.A. Detective Inspector Silver who always likes a bit of a challenge :D

Early Red English Charter Mason's :cool:

Got it :Y:

2 of my family members looked at the ring and the broche and both said nothing to do or any meaning with masons [both are masons] solomans temple wasn't pictured to be roman or greek looking which the engraving looks more like

227dick said:
2 of my family members looked at the ring and the broche and both said nothing to do or any meaning with masons [both are masons] solomans temple wasn't pictured to be roman or greek looking which the engraving looks more like

Thanks 227 D :)

Please thank your relatives for me,I didn't know this forum had such a reach.

Appreciated :Y:

Latest posts