Kings Awnings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shakergt said:
Occasional_panner said:
One thing I found is most offer very little shade, they are great to keep the rain off a swag, but as for shade they are bloody useless.
They really need to be 100% block, when you are hot the last thing you want is partial shade.

side walls work a treat

It's not just the area covered but the actual amount of blockout the material provides, most only block 50% out, you look up at the sun from underneath and it's still really bright. Not just my one either many brands are the same. You are still not properly in shade and still getting hot.

I tend to just use my caravan these days so just took the awning off the 4wd, when I set up the shade on the van it's just a HD tarp, that provides 100% blockout, the difference is ridiculous.

Just remember folks that most of us are only using the awning as a more shadier area than what is around us for a short rest between swings so any shade is better than none.

I only put this post up to enlighten people about the short coming of Kings Awnings.

Cheers

Doug

Jaros, it's a polytuf one https://www.bunnings.com.au/polytuf-3-0-x-3-6m-ultra-heavy-duty-d-ring-tarpaulin_p3330079
They have strong eyelets and it's lasted really well for me so far.
The cheap blue ones will last one trip if lucky and offer little blockout, the green/silver ones are good quality (rare for bunnings)

If you replaced the material in the roll out 4wd awning with something like that material it would be actually useful then.

The Oztrail Ultra range is the bees knees.
A tad expensive, but will last a lifetime.

1524274318_capture.jpg

A couple of 6mm nut serts or rivnuts and it would never come apart

Hi Rockhunter , where are the rivets your taking about ? I have one of the Kings awnings,which I've never used (wife shakes head knowingly) so I better pull it apart and re inforce it or I NEVER will get to use it !It was so cheap how could I not buy it ?
Cheers Crushed

shiiiieeeet. I bought one of these Kings awnings after seeing so many getting around, & thought ok they cant be too bad. I haven't fitted it yet.
1 thing for people to note is you shouldn't put stainless steel rivets into aluminium. Not so bad inland where they will be mostly dry, but bad news if you live on the coast or visit the beach. With a bit of salt & water the galvanic corrosion will cause the s/s to eat away the aluminium.
heavy galv or zincalume coated is the way to go.
I think I will be devising a fix for the rivets before I put mine on for this summer. Probably even put a temporary cable tie around each end for good measure when doing long treks.

Crushed said:
Hi Rockhunter , where are the rivets your taking about ? I have one of the Kings awnings,which I've never used (wife shakes head knowingly) so I better pull it apart and re inforce it or I NEVER will get to use it !It was so cheap how could I not buy it ?
Cheers Crushed

Hi Crushed,

If you look into the space where the side rails fold into you will see a series of pop rivets that hold the awning back board onto the mounting board. They are the ones that broke on mine. As I said, I added additional rivets to hold them more secure. I used slightly larger blind rivets.

Cheers

Doug

Thanks Rockhunter,I'll set it up and bang in some bigger rivets .I have some big rivets in my shed somewhere !?
Cheers crushed

Latest posts