Coins in circulation... what to look out for???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
This has always interested me? What should I be looking for?
Dates? Errors? What makes something worth more than face value???? Cheers :money: :beer: :money:

All those coloured $2 coins would be worth keeping because I think out of all of them 1.8 million is the most minted.Look for error coins,low mintage coins and any coins that you like.I have found quite a few of the older commemorative 50cent pieces in circulation that are in excellent condition,like the Silver Jubilee 1970 one and the Captain Cook 1977 one.If a coin strikes a chord with me it goes in the collection.Doesn't have to be valuable.Here is a few to look out for.
https://tenplay.com.au/news/nationa...ns-still-in-use-that-are-worth-a-pretty-penny

Thanks mate. Such a strange and hard to understand collecting hobby but I find it interesting. Certainly something I'll try and work out! Cheers

Your welcome Goldface.It certainly is an interesting hobby.There are so many coins that are worth collecting.Some very rare,others not so much.1930 commonwealth penny,Holey Dollar,1923 halfpenny,Aust.Silver coins before 1946 are sterling silver after 1946 they are 50% silver.The 1966 round 50cent piece (80% silver)is a nice collectable worth about $10.I'm sure some other members will chime in with coins to look out for.It is endless when it comes to collecting coins.Google is your friend,have fun collecting.

""google is your friend"..... After some time on google I'm even more confused haha.

In my change jar I found a random 20 cent "International Year of the Volunteers"coin and immediately got every bit of info on it with google. I really wasn't expecting that. In great condition there are people asking $4.95!

It's a whole new world to me with what's in Circulation. I like it.

I used to collect older different coins with my Dad back when I was a teen. I haven't really given them a thought for years. I have to dig them out of storage and research them now that there is so much internet information available compared to 20 years ago.

Cheers