You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

junkdog
14 June 2018 10:44 am

MUK...question for you. do think there is an advantage on making a flat plate , say eight side or ten side , instead of round pipe shape, I know its easyer but could it be an advantage in any way...cheers.

Small and Lite. Xpointer pro,, walbanker , river sluice .partridge in a pear tree..

Muk
14 June 2018 11:42 pm

Not to sure junkdog but I think it may have extra room inside so you may get some more build up that stays inside the crusher in the corners I have seen some on YouTube this shape and they seemed to work ok I think it would be a lot more work welding plates together for that style of crusher if you decide to go for it all the best cheers Muk.

1 user likes this post: junkdog

goldierocks
15 June 2018 12:38 am

Muk wrote:

G’day all have been inspired by some other posts on rock crushers so I have made one it’s powered by my old 9inch grinder makes short work of rocks hope the photos work cheers Muk https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 2a60d0.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … f06640.jpg

Is it a crusher or a mill? What does the breaking of rock? I'm confused - it looks like steel links.

Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

Muk
15 June 2018 07:42 am

G’day goldierocks it is steel chain links inside my crusher they spin driven by a 9inch grinder for the motor the rocks get pulverised by the links and come out of the crusher in a powder form and I then put the powder through my sluice cheers Muk.

goldierocks
15 June 2018 12:22 pm

Looks pretty good for small throughput. Seems to be a cross between grinding and crushing. Just wondered if free-rolling steel balls might need less servicing than the chain.

Robert Benchley...

Muk
15 June 2018 03:25 pm

Chain holds up well and only takes 15minutes to change out I have a spare shaft made up ready to go just undo the grinder connection then undo 4grub screws remove shaft put spare in do up grub screws connect grinder ready to go then refurb used shaft at your lesure and have it ready to go I also have some different link designs I will try out sometime but links seem to work just fine cheers Muk.

1 user likes this post: Hunting the yellow

Hunting the yellow
15 June 2018 10:30 pm

goldierocks wrote:

Looks pretty good for small throughput. Seems to be a cross between grinding and crushing. Just wondered if free-rolling steel balls might need less servicing than the chain.

ball mills wouldn't work well at all for hand size bits of quartz it would just make the quartz into round bowling balls you need a primary crusher like a hammer mill or jaw crusher or stamp battery to get it down in size then you can use a secondary crusher like a disk crusher grinder or a ball mill with mercury to get 95% gold recovery out of the stone.

Last edited by Hunting the yellow (15 June 2018 10:33 pm)

born 150 years too late and missed all the gold rushers

goldierocks
15 June 2018 10:43 pm

Hunting the yellow wrote:
goldierocks wrote:

ball mills wouldn't work well at all for hand size bits of quartz it would just make the quartz into round bowling balls you need a primary crusher like a hammer mill or jaw crusher or stamp battery to get it down in size then you can use a secondary crusher like a disk crusher grinder or a ball mill with mercury to get 95% gold recovery out of the stone.

Agreed for large sizes - I assumed the feed was already quite small because the machine was small. Keep away from mercury (toxic stuff), water-gravity will usually work.

Robert Benchley...

1 user likes this post: Hunting the yellow

Hunting the yellow
15 June 2018 10:50 pm

goldierocks wrote:
goldierocks wrote:

Agreed for large sizes - I assumed the feed was already quite small because the machine was small. Keep away from mercury (toxic stuff), water-gravity will usually work.

only toxic if you eat it or don't wear gloves and a gas/dust mask or be really stupid and burn it off under an open flame and breathe in the fumes/vapours not in a sealed retort.

born 150 years too late and missed all the gold rushers

goldierocks
15 June 2018 11:18 pm

goldierocks wrote:
goldierocks wrote:

only toxic if you eat it or don't wear gloves and a gas/dust mask or be really stupid and burn it off under an open flame and breathe in the fumes/vapours not in a sealed retort.

All of which are common among users I have found. Then there are the issues of possession in this age of terrorism:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict … l46tj.html

Robert Benchley...

Heatho
16 June 2018 09:25 am

He most likely would have got in trouble due to having mercury and explosives recipes on his computer, I don't think it's illegal to have for other reasons though, I may be wrong of course.... But yes, very nasty stuff.

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

1 user likes this post: madtuna

Muk
16 June 2018 11:03 am

G’day all I’m only into crushing a few rocks and my crusher does that well I won’t be needing any of the other gear your talking about cheers Muk.

1 user likes this post: Smoky bandit

jethro
17 June 2018 09:36 am

Muk wrote:

G’day all I’m only into crushing a few rocks and my crusher does that well I won’t be needing any of the other gear your talking about cheers Muk.

Be Careful Muk, Its a slippery slope this "only crushing a few rocks " I started out with a dolly pot to just crush a bit of quartz and now have a rod mill, an impact/flail mill and a Jaw crusher. and the basics of a shaker / wilfley table that I must get finished. neutral thumbsup

1 user likes this post: Matt80

Muk
17 June 2018 09:49 am

No worries jethro I know what you mean but I won’t be adding to my crusher it’s just something I can do at home when I can’t get out detecting cheers Muk.

Smithsgold
18 June 2018 11:03 am

Very cool !!!

bjarvie
02 September 2018 08:50 pm

Cheers for posting Muk,

Question for you re the build as putting one together currently that will run off a petrol engine.... with the square flange bearings have you doubled down the rear side to prevent the need to come through the front ? that seems to be enough to keep the shaft straight while running? Also where did you pickup your keyed shaft from? about to start putting it all together next week... thinking of boring out and threading the end of the shaft so i can unclip from the frame/motor and screw on the 18v grinder for field testing...

Muk
03 September 2018 02:30 am

GdAy bjarvie yes I did double up bearings at the back for extra strength not sure it needed it though 14mm thread to connect the grinder I did not use keyed shaft just round bar then tightend the bearing grub screws up seems to work well.I have left my crusher with my son in WA so I’m now in the process of making another one it will be a bit bigger mounted on a frame with petrol/electric motor will be able to move it around like a wheel barrow it will be slightly different than my first one will put some photos up when I start putting it together cheers Muk.

1 user likes this post: Mackka

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site