⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wally69 said:
Based on the photo :rolleyes: I think I will call it Contemplating Everest

It is a Petal Cut with flattened break facets and a raised crown. Think this will be a go-to design for some of my smaller rough as it is simple and effective :Y:

Came up with it yourself? Nicely done :Y:

Lefty said:
Wally69 said:
Based on the photo :rolleyes: I think I will call it Contemplating Everest

It is a Petal Cut with flattened break facets and a raised crown. Think this will be a go-to design for some of my smaller rough as it is simple and effective :Y:

Came up with it yourself? Nicely done :Y:

Only the crown modifications Lefty, the stone had goood colour and clarity so I decided to put some extra depth on the crown and larger break facets made sense.

Lefty said:
Heatho said:
Geez, that ones bright. Oh well hopefully it behaves for you, not a nice day outside for detecting, perfect day for faceting though. :Y:

I think Wally might be setting up to facet a piece of plutonium there by the looks :eek:
1535762574_8f0a71b6-2ff4-4656-81ca-c0f346cccdc6.jpg

Sometimes I Marvel at what nature has Hammered out, Thor I dont MindStone how this one turned out; looks like it is a Guardian of the Galaxy

1535762334_69a495e1-82cb-4d83-b549-3567962872ad.jpg

1535762425_b86d78dd-bff4-4471-adfa-4d47ac48df26.jpg

Yellow sapphire

Another nicely-done job there Wally :Y: Too bad the stone ended up having inclusions in it but I like itnall the same. Hopefully you'll get a crack at another sapphire shortly :)

Mackka said:
Personally I think the inclusions add beauty, colour and mystery.
Love it :perfect: :perfect: :perfect:
Mackka

Yep, still looks good.

Some inclusions add character. They are also evidence that a stone is natural - when I come across a piece of material that does not have so much as the tiniest inclusion visible, not even a 20x magnification, I start to get suspicious that it might have come from out of a test tube rather than out of a volcano :)

Lefty, I have nil knowledge of lapidary, however, I do know what I like and I like honesty.
Not only in people but also gemstones.
Keep up the excellent work you blokes. I love every photo and story behind it.
Mackka

Excitement = 34ct blue topaz
1535933940_ec6f5350-047e-4b38-b126-759c248deab0.jpg

Disappointment = 34 x 1/2 x @30% = say 5ct
1535934059_d20e4dad-ad8c-4a05-99db-872d73c1e2fd.jpg

Had this one set aside for my mother, thinking it would make a nice big pendant for Christmas. :awful: I am still coming to terms with the reduction factor of rough stone.......think a better approach is not to have any expectations.

Todays resolution - take a chill pill and juuusssttt cut the stone, it will be what it will be......... :rolleyes: .........and go dig some bigger cleaner rough :playful:

Bummer :/ Is it fractured or does it just have some very thin, shallow parts to the stone?

5 carats is still a reasonable size stone though :Y:

A bit of both Lefty, despite the usual edge cracks and shape irregularities it has some larger bubbly inclusions that go deeper than anticipated and will just need to be cut out.

Otherwise, the colour and clarity is awesome.

Thought I would share a few progressive photos as I work this stone.

I mentioned above that I still had some issues with the pre-formed stone to work around. (Am plagued by auto correction and fingers too big for my keypad design - good time to apologise for all my crappy gramma and misleading terminology and blame it on others O:) )

I have roughly cut the pavilion mains and it looks like I will miss most of the inclusions/cracks when I go to cut the crown :D
1536027175_8c7ef7f0-a5a5-489f-966f-55ede4035873.jpg

Am plagued by auto correction and fingers too big for my keypad design - good time to apologise for all my crappy gramma and misleading terminology and blame it on others

You've probably noticed the difference between when I'm posting from the actual computer with physical keyboard and when I'm posting from the tablet with touch screen - auto correct is maddening, as are my fat fingers! :D

Looking good there mate - sounds like you might get a bit more out of it than you thought?

Latest posts