Lesche Digging Tools

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't detect as much because I don't like digging plugs on kept lawns,
hence its harder to find some good spots.

The issue though no matter what you think will work you need to deal
with canslaw which is a pain in the you know what.

The day though I use a probe to dig out my target is when technology
changes and my new whiz bang detetcor can give me a readout of the
actaul target in ground.

As always each to their own.

AngerManagement said:
blakegarv said:
well usually if i have a coin close to the surface i just flick it up with a knife but i wanted a small digger in case the coin is really deep .i found i was leaving targets because they were deep and then when i tried to dig the target up it make a mess with my knife and small digger but there was plenty of targets deeper that were good targets that i couldnt reach and i wanted to get something that could make a clean plug or a 3 sided plug .

If it is a public park with reasonable grass - leave the deep ones.

After all, better to be welcome back any time than make a mess for a few items that are not worth it. I mean, it is not like it is going to be a roman hoard...

And what are a few pre decs worth - bugger all, let alone those deep bottle tops that look like a coin but are junk.

How deep you talking? I can dig a deep coin with the slit method, and feel confident the grass will be fine. No point in leaving finds behind, when you can do a good recovery.....why buy anything better than an aldi, if we should only pop the shallow stuff? :)

rocketaroo said:
How deep you talking? I can dig a deep coin with the slit method, and feel confident the grass will be fine. No point in leaving finds behind, when you can do a good recovery.....why buy anything better than an aldi, if we should only pop the shallow stuff? :)

No one size fits all.

Every outing I look at the conditions and then make a judgement call. For some places - an Aldi machine works great and does allow you to mask out bottle tops and pull tabs.

Just like fishing a standard rig = does not work... You have to take in the all the variables.

Public park, rocky soil, lots of people about, crappy grass = If my X-pointer can not target it, I move on. ( Spray an X with some marking paint and come back with a crowbar and pick)

If I feel the target is a good one, and the conditions are right - Have no problem with using a neat method to get the target.

Problem is that if you get 20 people who do parks etc and put them to a test you would be surprised at what some think is a good job. Inspect the area 2 weeks later only a hand full would actually have done a great job at it.

There are a couple of people I know, where I would be happy to let then detect AND ReCOVER in my yard; most I would not even consider it :rolleyes:

I find the Slit method is the best . Does not look so crash hot like the u-Tube vid with a massive clod and a coin in there somewhere.

When you get to do a place where there is lots of coin, even at 3" or a bit deeper. A target and pop is the only way to go, if you have a few hrs to clear a place.

Best my mate and I did in about 4 hrs was > $560 in coin and a number of rings... Yes it was a permission only place, old markets with some what shitty grass and conditions... But we were told NO digging, and the Lesche was not approved... A screwdriver or two with a big flat blade and a 4"blade knife - was all that was needed.

Target, pinpoint, use knife to cut soil (mini slit) and feel coin, pop , stamp and move on.

If you were into digging holes / plugs you would have left a mess and not did much.

As it was it looked like we had hit the place with a big lawn aerator. Would have liked to dig some hot targets and spent more time - but they had plans for teh ground and only gave us 1/2 day on a weekend... Permission to detect and keep anything you recover = Not going to refuse or argue over recovery method...

Wolfau said:

actaul target in ground.

yeh i would never dig a coin using a probe i once tried it and i ended up scratching a sixpence thats why they make these shovels so you dont damage your find .all i wanted was advice on what one i should get not some answer that i shouldnt dig at all .metal detecting is about finding treasures and old targets if you take the digging aspect out of it then what is the point of metal detecting considering alot of older coins are deep .i know one detectorist who found some sort of really valuable coin cant remember what it was but if he had of used a probe he would of most likely scratched it .

and as for cleaning my holes i dont know a detectorist who dosnt clean thier holes i may be new to the game but i know if i dont clean my holes i will not be allowed back so i am very ocd when it comes to making sure the ground is how it was before i dug it .

Had a play in the yard with a Wiltshire plastic handled steak knife.

Great cutter, grass, roots, the lot, and you can saw through the sod at very little depth. Cut a real neat slit, and an effortless plug.

Hopefully her indoors wont notice one missing.

Ground is wet though, dunno how it will work when its a little baked.

We took over a hundred coins from a small park. RJ was using slits, I was digging plugs back then. I went back a month later, and only because I knew where to look, were my plugs noticable, not dead grass, but a bit disturbed looking. RJs had completely recovered, gone.

blakegarv said:
Wolfau said:

actaul target in ground.

yeh i would never dig a coin using a probe i once tried it and i ended up scratching a sixpence thats why they make these shovels so you dont damage your find .all i wanted was advice on what one i should get not some answer that i shouldnt dig at all .metal detecting is about finding treasures and old targets if you take the digging aspect out of it then what is the point of metal detecting considering alot of older coins are deep .i know one detectorist who found some sort of really valuable coin cant remember what it was but if he had of used a probe he would of most likely scratched it .

and as for cleaning my holes i dont know a detectorist who dosnt clean thier holes i may be new to the game but i know if i dont clean my holes i will not be allowed back so i am very ocd when it comes to making sure the ground is how it was before i dug it .

Mate you have to show respect for manicured lawns, that is simple, it's greedy people who ruin it for everyone else, if you can't remove a target without damage then move on, sometimes you shouldn't dig a target. I've left a lot of good targets, it's just the respectful thing to do in some cases.

rocketaroo said:
We took over a hundred coins from a small park. RJ was using slits, I was digging plugs back then. I went back a month later, and only because I knew where to look, were my plugs noticable, not dead grass, but a bit disturbed looking. RJs had completely recovered, gone.

Well stated....

And I would suggest that at 1 or 2 weeks the slits would not have been visible but the plugs would have been more noticeable -

And just like a bear shitting in the woods, just because you do not see it; others do and they do not think about how it might look in 3 weeks.

They react to how it looks at the time.

Heatho said:
blakegarv said:
Wolfau said:

actaul target in ground.

Mate you have to show respect for manicured lawns, that is simple, it's greedy people who ruin it for everyone else, if you can't remove a target without damage then move on, sometimes you shouldn't dig a target. I've left a lot of good targets, it's just the respectful thing to do in some cases.

The only way to show respect is by not detecting on manicured lawns and I refuse to as stated
above. If I had a manicured lawn and saw some one detecting on it no matter the process of
coin retrieval it would anger me.

Hi All...

I think we are all on the same page - but there could have been a miss understanding over a few words or what was implied...

Duty of care to respect people and property and to keep our hobby respectable.

None of us are perfect ( well that could be revised) and I know I have changed my processes once I looked back at places I did. U-tube and many of the USA digs just do not work here - but many assume they do.

We can not stop others from making a mess and I have seen mature people that you would think know better - Show total disrespect and leave a total mess.

What we can do is to do the old Quality cycle -

Plan, Do, Check and Act The trick is to go back and check and then change the way you act/dig if the result was not of a good standard...

As to how to educate those that do not care.... Well that is a whole new topic...

blakegarv said:
hey guys trying to decide between digging tools .i mainly hunt parks and sometimes forest areas and i was wondering if anyone had used any of these size diggers before .i was thinking the 18" would be good to draw less attention but im not sure how easily it would go into the ground being as its small and i would have to bend down to use it but then i think maybe the 31" would be a bit overkill and draw to much attention .if anyone has used any of these diggers i would really appreciate some feed back on your experience with them .thx guys :).

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/digging-pick-scoop-trowel-shovel-1.html

here is a link to the shovels .

Unless your prospecting I would buy the biggest one and Carry a Small pick to loosen up the ground, Because there comes a time when you dig into the soft stuff and as you dig down you will hit the hard stuff, And a handy pick will lighten the load,

Good morning , I know predator tools is the original maker of Lesche tools and has the original tooling and the now branded Lesche tools is different company altogather but at $80 difference in price shipped from USA has anyone any experience with the new company's shovels ?

In the US at the moment. A couple of days ago, I drove from New York for three hours to Bridgeton, New Jersey to meet with the family that operates W W Manufacturing, the manufacturer of the Lesche digging tool. They were super hospital, showing me around their historical town and factory.
It is a small business employing at a guess 10-15 staff. It is a real hands on operation. All tools are welded by hand. It it's got a very personal touch. Some of the welders started their apprenticeship there and are now old blokes! I could honestly feel the pride in the workmanship when I picked up the tools.
I'm ordering a stack of them, ranging from the Lesche hand digging tool, the Ground Shark in different sizes and the Sampson shovel, also in different sizes. They all have serrated edges. They gave me a Ground Shark to bring home as a present. Only just fit into my big suitcase. I'll bring it down to Deep Creek on the 14th of May if anyone wants to check it out.
The bad news is, they are so busy, my order is going to take 2 months to fill!
If your keen you can pre order and I'll give you a discount.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone likes a particular tool. The whole range can be found on their website: http://www.wwmfg.com/default.asp
1463124797_digtool-48_lg.jpg

Lesche Digging Tool
1462572830_image.jpeg

Ground Shark
1462572964_image.jpeg

Feather weight Mini Pick
1462572984_image.jpeg

Relic Hunter Ground Shark

Great report Lucky Dan. I currently use the lesche knife as pictured in the first picture. After false starts and many trials finding the right tool for the job i settled on the lesche, and I have had mine for the past 2 years or more and it is by far the best tool on the market for its purpose.
I would be interested in knowing what the landed cost of one of these would be to Aussie shores, every coin shooter I associate with has a birthday every year, and the right tool would help them. The supplier I purchased mine from has since folded.

I've just noticed the op date.....Perhaps it is too late?

DeckyDan said:
No matter the method used it must be clean and discreet, I leave a lot of targets in the ground for sake of what people may think.
Anyone who is out in the parks with metal detectors beginner or expert is representing us all..
it only takes a couple of notable holes and a nosey onlooker to see it and a lot of people who have time to walk in parks have time to dob u in and have us kicked out.
If I can't get a coin with the prob and screw driver method I leave it there.
Besides, if you use a prob you can feel if it's a coin instead of cutting a plug to find it's just a pull tab.

I know that its an old post and Ive only been doing this for a very short time .. but its so well said ..and our hobby needs a future :cool:

Latest posts