Solar Panels - Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe! I remember when NightJar posted that up many years ago!!
Still just as funny now, but still works as it did back then!!!
Good stuff!!

Gem in I said:
wow everyones becoming so professional so quick lately it's getting boring
The whole quick temp of life is frustrating tbh, all these new gadget which expires after year of usage etc

I read the RV daily Mag Article when that issue came out and was somewhat surprised at the 10AH of output from 450W of panel. However, I have said previously a number of times, you get what you pay for and equally how it is used. I might also add that there are quite a few vendors out there that have little understanding of what they sell. The sale is more important than "if it will do what is said it will". Contrary to that there are a few that do know their stuff, the difficulty is finding them.

In comparison to the 450W of panels in the article, I have 2 x 100W panels on my van roof and I try to park it where it is in full sun. (To qualify, I detect in winter time in VIC, so not too worried about heat :) ). On a dull overcast day, I've monitored 12-13 amps going in to my battery, which is what I would expect from these panels. Parking any van in a shaded area with panels on the roof and expecting them to do their job is wishful thinking to say the least.

I'm rarely at the van during the day as I'm out detecting, but on rainy days or "I'm running out of jocks n socks, gotta do some washing days", I am able to see what is happening. I regularly use, as I've said in other posts, between 30-40 AH from the 130AH battery. (TV, lights, diesel heater, pump, charging all the other gear.)

I know how much I use (20-30% of capacity), that the battery is close to 97% fully charged by 1-2 pm depending on the weather and full by the time I return from prospecting. Although I use a genny for other things, I have spent some time where gennys were not allowed. After 4 days, again in crappy weather and on solar only, I was showing 99% full. (before using power on the 4th day).

We all have differing power needs, different equipment, budgets and knowledge. Although these articles mean well, they can mislead, especially if the reader is not technically experienced.

I think that these posts should be taken as a guide not a lesson in solar usage. The thing is that most of us have not got the ability to install or understand the technology needed to use solar properly and these posts be used as a guide as to what you want out of what you've got. I use an Auto Elec. if I have any doubts as to what I'm doing. It's usually under $100 to have a job done right if you have the right gear there. :)

can i help :playful:

1547761127_wp_20190118_003.jpg

1547761127_wp_20190118_004.jpg

I got mine from a proper Solar Company, In the past I had bought cheap panels and they never seemed to do what they claimed, If you want to get it right you are better off going to the Pros.

I have fixed a few peoples stuffed up panels, the junction box in the back of the twin panel fold type is often a problem.
Use two brain cells pop it open and check it.
Admittedly, it does help if you have a clamp meter to diagnose a bad side, but you can disconnect one then the other to see if there is a current change.

Plug in deans plugged meters are a handy tool.
Like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150A-Di...9:g:Jn0AAOSw6hNcLXDs:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Somebody brought this point up the other day..To work out the amps a solar panel should produce divide that watts by the voltage..The trick is they are not 12 volts they actually produce 18 to 21...So a 200 watt panel will produce around 10 amps..Im actually going to put 3x250 watt panels on my new truck , which will give me around 40 amps on a good day..I will hook them up to a 45 amp Projector dc. dc charger..and 2 140 amp amg batteries..

Occasional_panner said:
I have fixed a few peoples stuffed up panels, the junction box in the back of the twin panel fold type is often a problem.
Admittedly, it does help if you have a clamp meter to diagnose a bad side, but you can disconnect one then the other to see if there is a current change.

Like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150A-Di...9:g:Jn0AAOSw6hNcLXDs:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
i sell those meters :perfect:

Baldy said:
Somebody brought this point up the other day..To work out the amps a solar panel should produce divide that watts by the voltage..The trick is they are not 12 volts they actually produce 18 to 21...So a 200 watt panel will produce around 10 amps..Im actually going to put 3x250 watt panels on my new truck , which will give me around 40 amps on a good day..I will hook them up to a 45 amp Projector dc. dc charger..and 2 140 amp amg batteries..
you wont get a 40 amp charge with 3 panel, you may get roughly 24 depending on panel efficiency

ctxkid said:
Occasional_panner said:

i sell those meters :perfect:
How much :eek: Are they :perfect: ?

Jaros said:
I think that these posts should be taken as a guide not a lesson in solar usage. The thing is that most of us have not got the ability to install or understand the technology needed to use solar properly and these posts be used as a guide as to what you want out of what you've got. I use an Auto Elec. if I have any doubts as to what I'm doing. It's usually under $100 to have a job done right if you have the right gear there. :)

I do most things myself ;) It's not about the money I save but more about the quality of workmanship I end up with at the end of the day. SKILLED tradies that do quality work are getting harder and harder to find as the old guys slowly but surely disappear :awful:

Latest posts