Help identifying this insignia/symbol

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheIndependent Order of Rechabites(IOR),
also known as theSons and Daughters of Rechab,[1]is afraternal organisationandfriendly societyfounded in England in 1835 as part of the widertemperance movementto promote totalabstinence from alcoholic beverages.[2]Always well connected in upper society and involved in financial matters, it gradually transformed into afinancial institutionwhich still exists, and still promotes abstinence. The Order has been active in Australia from 1843, promoting temperance and as abenefit society. A branch was established in the United States in 1842, and also flourished for a time.

I've also been at it for hours and I think the initials are ROI, not IOR as Casper suggests.

From what I can remember of initialised crests the size of the letter gives the order, from small to large.
But I could be wrong :p

I have tried hundreds of suggestions with 'Royal Order of I' in Antique Lapel badges at Google Images.
My eyes are going goo-goo :awful:

casper said:
It's a monogram badge... a monogram is a motif made by overlapping or combining two or more letters to form one symbol. Monograms are often made by combining the initials of an individual or a company and used as recognizable symbols or logos.

I think it could be a member badge of the IOR, otherwise referred to as the Independant Order of Rechabites Friendly Society.

casper
Well you got it at 2237 to be honest

Casper did the heavy lifting - his identification of the initials as IOR was a brilliant insight. :perfect:
I was just lucky to hit paydirt via Google slightly ahead of him. It was indeed a very good challenge. :Y:

Incredible work - thanks casper and the other legends on this forum who put in so much effort to find what this small piece of history means. It's funny how your mind keeps returning to those one or two items you discover but can't quite figure out. The closest I had come was a replica Imperial Order of the Crown of India: https://www.quarterdeckmilitaria.com.au/product/replica-order-of-the-crown-of-india-soon/. Needless to say I was aiming slightly too high. The plot of land I found it in looked very unpromising and I've rarely ever seen anyone there... but it is surrounded by some of the most largest and most expensive houses I've seen so it makes some sense that the IOR was "always well connected in upper society". Perhaps they held a small "abstinence" party there one afternoon and it got a bit out of hand. ;) Here's another, slightly more colourful, version of the badge: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/3693080447

Latest posts