⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lefty, where you gunna be at Gemfest?, we will have to catch up.

Ah Jeez Pat - sorry mate I missed your post. :( Yes I was there yesterday. Got some nice stuff but the number of stall-holders seemed to be down a bit on previous years.

1533868635_20180810_123353.jpg

1533868659_20180810_123444.jpg

Before and after 3 sapphires and a zircon from recent gemfields trip. Was expecting largest to cut a bit bigger but couldn't ignore a flaw in bottom. All round brilliant cuts more pics coming later.

Phil_In_Boots said:
They turned out nice Jason. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them cut?

Philip
Matt at old micks gems in rubyvale. Charges $35 a carat (minimum 35 a stone)

Wally69 said:
Nice selection of colours JT, did they come from the same hole?
Thanks Wally, 3 from one hole. The largest and a 140+ carat bomb from a hole very near the original. Was a very productive area, still hoping to find a big cutter.

Looks good J Treasure :Y:

I was having trouble clearly seeing them through the plastic packets in the last photo :)

Small Qld peridot, my scales are playing up so not sure of size but it is the smallest I have cut so far.; less than 1/2ct :(

The rough looked like it would yield more but a couple of concave faces imacted the girdle. Interesting inclusion; either a black spinel or tourmaline is lodged in the face of one of the crown facets. But you need a loupe to admire it in all its glory :lol: :D :lol:

1535245018_453ec93d-79b7-4a75-8df9-22c327e7c435.jpg

1535244489_535102fd-0c9c-4d0a-b813-f3311ba3e98c.jpg

Nice one there Wally :Y:

If it's from QLD then you might have a part of a limited supply - Chudleigh Park peridot diggings has been closed after somebody tripped over their own feet, hurt themselves ans sued the properrty owner, who promptly withdrew permission for fossickers to enter :(

But I like your second photo - looks like you broke open a chunk of host rock and there inside was a gem, as if by maguc already faceted :lol:

Wally69 said:
Small Qld peridot, my scales are playing up so not sure of size but it is the smallest I have cut so far.; less than 1/2ct :(

The rough looked like it would yield more but a couple of concave faces imacted the girdle. Interesting inclusion; either a black spinel or tourmaline is lodged in the face of one of the crown facets. But you need a loupe to admire it in all its glory :lol: :D :lol:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...5018_453ec93d-79b7-4a75-8df9-22c327e7c435.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...4489_535102fd-0c9c-4d0a-b813-f3311ba3e98c.jpg
Pretty stone , beautifully cut

Dan

Lefty said:
Nice one there Wally :Y:

If it's from QLD then you might have a part of a limited supply - Chudleigh Park peridot diggings has been closed after somebody tripped over their own feet, hurt themselves ans sued the properrty owner, who promptly withdrew permission for fossickers to enter :(

But I like your second photo - looks like you broke open a chunk of host rock and there inside was a gem, as if by maguc already faceted :lol:

Doesnt matter what olivine basalt I pick up Lefty, you can see the potential oozing out of it ;)

1535256081_f2909a38-33da-48a3-a687-7e9a8e626298.jpg

Based on the photo :rolleyes: I think I will call it Contemplating Everest

It is a Petal Cut with flattened break facets and a raised crown. Think this will be a go-to design for some of my smaller rough as it is simple and effective :Y:

Geez, that ones bright. Oh well hopefully it behaves for you, not a nice day outside for detecting, perfect day for faceting though. :Y:

Heatho said:
Geez, that ones bright. Oh well hopefully it behaves for you, not a nice day outside for detecting, perfect day for faceting though. :Y:

I think Wally might be setting up to facet a piece of plutonium there by the looks :eek: