Minelab Equinox 800 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have dug plenty of phantom holes as well Trev, sometimes I wonder if I keep digging I'll find a mountain bike or something equally as odd buried 6 foot under.

I'm with hAyyoUinAU, I have got some odd signals from upright coins, numbers being off etc. Turn on it 90 degrees and disappearing signal for one swing strong the next. A $2 coin had me so confused one day in the park down at the end of my street. I knew there was something there turned out it was upright almost 9" down. I was happy to find it but at the same time thought surely it had to be something much nicer for the effort.

Another issue being coke (and slag balls) in the ground, for some reason here in Lithgow the numbers on that crap are oddly high and they are confusing when they give a solid tone/number.

Just looking around to see if anyone has seen any good deals on the 800 at the moment?

Minersden waas $1150 I think it said , but includes a free Doug Stone book.

Anyone happen to see any other good deals before I take the plunge and join the nox club?

Cheers. :)

Got mine off Minersden Bendigo (on eBay) Ebay was also offering a $100 voucher code so only paid $1050 (equinox 800) delivered.

Hi guys n gals, could use a little advice on settings for the equinox in gold fields of vic I have been taking my nox 800 out along with my sdc but can't seem to get it stable after doing noise cancelling and balance it keeps chirping (bouncy signal), only ways I have found to get it stable is to discriminate lots of the lower settings or drop the sensitivity.

I am certain this is a setting issue but can't quite get it right, anyone got some settings they could recommend for the equinox in gold fields I am mainly prospecting around wedderburn kingower and white hills if that helps. :D
:goldnugget:

Hi luckyreid.

What are your sensitivity settings? You may struggle with anything above 15-17. It is still a sensitive machine at those levels though.

Also, you dont HAVE TO use gold mode. Try different settings on some undug targets. Field 1 or 2 maybe quite useful in finding gold and also make things more stable.

:Y:

Northeast said:
Hi luckyreid.

What are your sensitivity settings? You may struggle with anything above 15-17. It is still a sensitive machine at those levels though.

Also, you dont HAVE TO use gold mode. Try different settings on some undug targets. Field 1 or 2 maybe quite useful in finding gold and also make things more stable.

:Y:
I found field mode better to

I've had the same issues, keep turning the gain down is my only solution but you lose a lot of depth. Try single frequency 40kHz but not a big improvement.

Dave79 said:
Try single frequency 40kHz but not a big improvement.

I noticed the only thing to quieten mine down was to use the 40khz mode, It was still noisy but worked much better than multi (noise wise) anyway.

ctxkid said:
Northeast said:
And there is some great info here.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/forum/53-minelab-equinox-fan-club/

The very first thread re: the Essential Equinox Information especially.

there are lots of nox users on this forum ;)

Very true Kid and by posting that link Im in no way suggesting there is better info there than here. But there is good info there and the OP already knows about here ;)
I also find Steve Hs posts straight forward easy reading.

With reference to losing depth from turning down sensitivity. Yes you may lose some depth. But if you gain usability in a situation where the machine was previously unusable you might have gained more than youve lost?

A lot of the American Equinox users are actually finding they are getting better target unmasking and usability in hot ground by turning their sensitivity down. Running a really high sensitivity is overloading the machine and it just cant cope in high ferrous, high trash or highly mineralized ground (like every other VLF).
Sometimes less is more :goldnugget:

The Nox is essentially a treasure detector with a gold mode, not the other way around. It's not a deep seeking gold detector, it's gold mode is essentially the way I see it is a detector for finding shallow gold on bedrock in mild to medium soil conditions.

Dropping the sensitivity to a usable level and concentrating on shallow ground would be the way I'd run it to search for gold.

Hi Luckyreid,

I agree with Heatho and Northeast. The NOX will find you gold if you keep at it. Dont try to compare it to the SDC or you will be disappointed. Ive found that the 800 is chirpy in mineralised ground and sometimes you just have to put up with some of the noise. Dropping the sensitivity will help but it already has limitations in relation to depth on smaller pieces. If you want to focus on the NOX, I would suggest leaving the SDC at home. This forces you into a situation where you have to play with settings and experiment a little more. After about a dozen trips into my local goldfields comparing the SDC and NOX, I got to a point where the Equinox wasnt even being turned on as it was missing far to much gold in relation to what the SDC was finding. Good luck with your play time. It is a very good machine.

Cheers

Les

Heatho said:
The Nox is essentially a treasure detector with a gold mode, not the other way around. It's not a deep seeking gold detector

spot on Heath :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:
but there are others that dream that you are wrong :8 :playful: :playful: :playful:
horses for courses ;)