how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been lucky with Pickles auctions , I bought my prado from them 2 years ago and a Toyota Camry last November both on or under $1000 and both still going well although as many on here know, I had to swap out the motor in the Prado last November. Still doing that only cost me time , as i was able to get another Prado from Pickles for $700 which gave me with a motor and a profit back when i sold parts. :D

HeadsUp said:
Trash said:
I live 15 mins from Manheim Auctions , west of Melbourne

Last 6 weeks Ive been going to & watching auctions online

Im thinking of selling my 2013 BT50 , its a bit too nice for the bush & now that Ive sold my big van , like to find something that is more
sleep friendly .

The auction is good way to gauge whats out there & if you are after something in particular, you can see what it goes for compared to
a car yard price .

The dealers get some concessions in regards to the final price , private buyers pay no concessions etc.

Manheims can be a reasonable place to buy but I wouldnt sell anything there , if selling try carsales.com , gumtree or eBay

If buying , Manheims or pickles are cheapest in Adelaide and WA , Melbourne is next cheapest , Sydney is one of the dearest places to buy anything.

Dont be put off buying interstate , the Freight might surprise you .

Ceva or Patricks quoted me a hilux 4x4 Melbourne to Sydney $1050 , backloads Perth to Sydney by rail used to be around $990 years ago , dont know what they are now though

Do really thorough inspections before buying , if you watch ex govt fleet sales or corporate fleet sales the quality is usually a lot higher and they get serviced better.

Check log books to see if they were serviced properly.

Finance repos are some of the worst condition , second only to stolen recovered vehicles .

I once looked at a finance repo that had 70,000 km on the clock , I pulled the dipstick and the oil was like black fudge , checked the log book and it appeared to have never been serviced since being purchased 8)

Good points heads up , Thanks !

The ones Ive been interested in Ive looked at the logbooks , there certainly is some that havent been serviced for years ....!

I have a PDF copy of all vehicles sold in April at Manheim Auctions .

If anyone wants a copy , send me a message :D

.... Major Issues with the DPF system on the New Hiluxes and Prados.... Lots of ******* engines and Toyota WON'T warrant them. Refuses to believe there is an issue... Class action time coming soon for Toyota...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7C9A94476971E965F2CE7C9A94476971&&FORM=VRDGAR

TOYOTA..... Oh What a Feeling...

LW.....

Edited for bad language, we do not want those types of words here veven if you do change them!

Post removed and well i was only kidding,a mate of mine mentioned this a while ago LW,hes a fitter at a large mine and said theres some dramas with a few of there new hiluxs,he said dpf etc,will read ya link in a minute,neighbour just got a new hilux spacecab,i got a spacecab dmax a while ago,9500 klms and all good so far, im a toyota fan but i couldnt justify the extra 10k for the hilux.....

Sorry about that :8 ....
Yes Not good when you pay so much for them and this happens.... Berrima Diesel has a great vid on youtube about it and is very shocking to see this happen so often.... I think it has a lot to do with the Quality of Diesel in Australia.... Nissan had some issues a few years ago with their Patrols and dropped the Diesel model for 2yrs while they tried to sort it out..... Still the ZD 30 ? has issues....

LW....

Yeah I've got a 2015 space cab Dmax, just over 70.000 ks and no issues, use for work and off road, tows the camper trailer and tinny no problem , I keep my prospecting gear behind the seats so I've got it there you never know when you might need it :cool: :Y:

1533070333_img_0250.jpg

My SWB wrangler and 600kg van. Pretty much goes anywhere

Got rid of the petrol Landcruiser & now drive a twincab 2005 MK Triton ute with a fibreglass cannopy. 2.8L Turbo Diesel without any computers/sensors etc.
Stock except for a supposed 2" lift at the back.
UHF, bullbar some driving lights.
Surprisingly in stock form, more capable off road than my old 60series stock Cruiser...
Great economy, tows, brakes, handles way better than the old Toyota I had. + this one has cup holders :D

I'm lucky enough to have a novated lease, just taking probably my last 4x4 into retirement. Just took hold of the Toyota Hilux SR5 with raised suspension, snorkel, twin batteries, canopy and drawers with fridge, bull bar with winch and LED driving lights, among other additions, it's proved itself on the most rugged terrains I can take it on and still have a vehicle to drive.

Seeing as it's going to be my main hobby when I retire, (gold detecting - sluicing) I wanted to have all the gear possible to go to the outlaying areas that could hold a nugget or two. Think I've now a bought an Ultimate Camper it should be a good time to have in the future.

1535234214_hi-lux_4x4_-_1_optimizer_optimizer.jpg

Latest posts