Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go - I think that hexagonal design did the stone justice :)

1534674949_39467209_10155748729705959_4238647342602911744_n_1.jpg

1534674970_39543510_10155748729845959_5931165521549459456_n.jpg

This one did retain more of the orange tone of the rough, though it was hard to capture it in the photos. Finished at 2.55 carats in Jack Rowland's "Hanuka". I've used this design for garnets plenty of times before, it makes a nice matched pair of earring stones.

There was slightly more crown material than I needed and I actually considered adding an extra course of facets to step-frame the table. In the end I stuck with the original design but I think that a step-framed table would have suited it, considering how wide the table is.

Nice one Lefty, lots going on in the open window :party: should help it dazzle the daylights out of the new owner :Y:

Cheers Wally - yes, the design sure does have a large table. Works well. I still think I'll try step framing the table on one just to see how it looks.

Picked up the first garnet this arvo Lefty. :Y:
Shes got some real bling to it that a pic just doesnt show.

Bjay said:
Picked up the first garnet this arvo Lefty. :Y:
Shes got some real bling to it that a pic just doesnt show.

Cheers Bjay :) Yep, still photos often just don't do a faceted stone justice, you need to see them moving in real life to appreciate how the colour and light moves and how they change appearance as you tip and rock them, just as it does when they are in a setting and the person moves their hand or turns a little etc

Cheers mate.

2.5 carat Rubyvale green sapphire in "Falling Fire" (can't recal the author's name). Isn't it always the way (for me at least) that the more valuable the stone, the more trouble it gives taking a photograph that looks exactly like it, even mucking around with white balance and stuff. Stone is brighter green than the photo shows.

This stone is a straight green - regardless of the veiwing angle it is green from every direction, not blue-on-green as most blue- green stones are.

1535880863_20180902_193010.jpg

1535880913_received_248871885770494.jpg

1535880946_received_253406138840052.jpg

Lol! Never noticed that until you mentioned it :lol:

Inspiration for a new design maybe? :)

Cheers

3.5 carat citrine in Voltilini's "Squilliant". Cut from a larger piece originating from the Victorian goldfields. Looks black and white in the photo but is actually a very light yellow. Quite an effective design when seen first hand and moving, the culet facets are deliberately offset which seems to give a slight twisting effect to the moving reflection patterns.

Citrine and smoky quartz should be faceted more often regardless of their value - they make attractive gems in their own right, with just the right sort of hardness for general jewellery setting work :cool:

1535941599_40460127_10155775258235959_6895609893974179840_n.jpg

1535941615_40430501_10155775258285959_7361244830590042112_n.jpg

:cool: nice stones Lefty :cool:

I agree, Smokey and Golden Yellow Citrine go down on my favourites list.

If you and I value them highly, then it is about time the rest of the world values them accordingly.. :inlove: :gemstone:

Cheers Wally :)

I agree, Smokey and Golden Yellow Citrine go down on my favourites list.

If you and I value them highly, then it is about time the rest of the world values them accordingly.. inlove gemstone

Absolutely!! And they can be found in pieces large enough to do something intricate and artistic with. Shame that many of them just end up sitting in a drawer gathering dust, never faceted to show their full potential.

Maybe we can change the world, one stone at a time :cool:

Cheers Mick :Y:

Always feels good to be able to make someone's day :) :) :) And the best thing about them is that they pretty much last forever. I love helping give people the inspiration to get out there and fossick.

I hope this is the appropriate spot for this, I bought a Brazilian Amethyst from Lefty which he cut for me. I've had it mounted by a manufacturing jeweller as a gift for the wife, no special Occassion, just to say I Love You and I'm glad the worst of her troubles are behind her.
As you can see it's simply stunning, the picture does not do it justice. Thank you Lefty.
1537322757_image.jpg

Well done Manpa.. Lots of brownie points there... Mrs Pa will be very happy wearing that.... :eek: :D
Lefty is a brilliant cutter... well done.... ;)

LW....

Oh wow, that came out beautifully! :) :) :) That lovely, elegant setting really does it, he did a great job :Y: I'll bet that made her day :D

Great stuff there Manpa, I never get tired of seeing them go to their final home, a beautifully-finished setting. I hope she gets many years of happiness from it

Cheers everybody :Y:

Lefty said:
Oh wow, that came out beautifully! :) :) :) That lovely, elegant setting really does it, he did a great job :Y: I'll bet that made her day :D

Great stuff there Manpa, I never get tired of seeing them go to their final home, a beautifully-finished setting. I hope she gets many years of happiness from it

Cheers everybody :Y:
Lefty, I'll pull out the good camera and macro and see if I can do it justice and send you some more pics via pm over the next week.
Cheers
Manpa and a very happy Ma. :p

Latest posts