Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger Info and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
As I looked down the list of featured detectors I didn't see the above mentioned so I thought I'd comment. This detector is my implement of choice and up until this week I wasn't sure if it had the goods, but after a successful patch found and well dug, this little detector has found me about 8 nuggets and 2 small weights (four penny wendts, and a smaller one)

I set the settings to those suggested by Mr Garrett on the accompanying DVD and away I went. The coil is that which came with the machine, the elliptical 7x5 coil. I have not changes any other settings.

This machine cost me about $400.00 second hand and it has paid for itself over and over with this find.

If you have any questions I will attempt to answer them.

To clear up a discrepancy of the story folks, I want to tell you that the stuff I thought was gold, was in fact workings slag that was produced when the old timer did some of his own smelting. What I found looked like gold.....a bit, weighed like gold,...........but in fact wasn't GOLD. I did find those small weights though when I found the rest of this stuff and was very keen to think it was the real thing. Sadly it wasn't. But I'm still looking. And I do have total confidence that THE SCORPIAN will come up with the goods. (Probably next time I visit a gold field while on holidays) Sorry to mislead. I am still living in hope !

Hey Daz, I'm like you. Haven't found any gold yet but still keen as mustard to get out there and find my first nugget. I look at it as every time I pull out a bullet slug I'm one more hole closer to a nugget. :lol:

I reckon all I have to do is keep getting to know the detector and then all I gotta do is wave it over gold - easy :D

You know the sore back, dirty clothes, ring pulls, bits of wire, slugs and other trash makes it all the more sweeter when I eventually hit on a nugget. I'm still working on the Eureka dance and will post a video of it when I get some colour :)

John

Me too AU. We spent a few weeks over in the Triangle weeks ago and sadly couldnt come up with the goods but hey, Oz is a big place and there's got to be some out there somewhere with my name on it. In the mean time I keep researching and hunting for that titbit of info that might lead me to my FIRST hunk. I'll have plenty of practice as I live in an area that used to be wall to wall cornish miners, so I practice by trying to find the old coins and artefacts that are part of junk that makes up this whole area. Keep swingin' mate.

Just have to keep practising mate. On Saturday I was practising on the vacant lot over the road. Of course pulled out lots of junk but got a few moderns as well. Interesting thing was a lady walking a dog stopped for a chat. She used to be a prospector a while back, showed me a nugget about an inch long by about 1/4" wide that she had dug up and had made into a pendant that hung from a gold chain around her neck.
She also said she had pulled out a nugget "about the size of her palm" as her best find. Told her I was heading up to Creswick and she agreed that it is a great area for gold.

AU

Yep I am doing that AU. Its all about getting to know the detector I think. Mr Garrett reckons it takes a 100 hrs to work the thing out and I'm sure he's right. I've now got off the auto settings to tweek up the machine for particular ground types. And I can do that home here, even though I wont find any gold. But I could come across a 1923 Halfpenny or a 1930 penny and that would trump any small nugget. Our area has lots of OLD community sites to check out so I'll keep swingin' and like you, keep practicing. I am really looking forward to seeing the specks for the new Garrett which is going to take Minelab head on. It'll be interesting to see in a couple of months. Keep swingin'

Hi all. I'm looking for a good coil to go beach hunting. Can you put any coil on a metal detector.I have a Garrett gold scorpion. Thanks

No you would need a coil specifically for the Garrett Scorpion although some manufacturers do have coils to suit a range of their models. Not sure what sizes you can get but eBay or a wanted ad on the forum might be your best bet.

You are very limited on what you can use with the Scorpion, the only other coil other than the stock 5x10" one is a small 3x7" coil, which will be a tad small for the beach.

There were 5 "crossfire" coils with part numbers made for the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger... 2 Elliptical and 3 Concentric with 12 1/2-in being the largest. ;)

Sorry, you are correct, even though only the 5x10 & 37" coils are mentioned in the factory instructions, there were more coil options available. Might have kept my Scorpion if it weren't for the expensive 9v batteries and having to pull down half of the detector to change them. :)

1475470312_addon.jpg

Purchased this today to go with the Garrett Groundhog.Didnt have it long and went to put in new batteries and 2 of the pins in the handle that hold the control unit on decided to disappear into the handle so need to work out a new idea.Prob a bolt with a butterfly nut for quick removal should be enough.Now to download PDF instructions for it :Y:

There are some good videos on YouTube on operating the Gold Stinger.
Re the pins. I would have thought you would be able to get them out. The 2 joining tubes on the shaft come apart. Well mine does anyway.
I will have a look tomorrow. My machine is hiding in my shed at the moment.
Cheers

The 2 pins in question are close to the grip end and i dont think it separates.The front 2 pins did the same but there is a hole in shaft where I was able to put a screwdriver in and pop them out.

Just had a look at my Garrett. Like I said above. Even if you could hook them out with a length of wire you would have a bugger of a time trying to get it back in.
Apart from that. They are a resonable machine. Pinpointingis very accurate. Imagine an x up about 25 mm from half way on the coil towards the front. I have an x marked on mine. They don't like hot ground or emi. They would make a great learning machine.

Latest posts