QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onya mate, I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. What coil did you get with it? I haven't found any gold yet but very happy with the performance of the 6x9 coil on small test nuggets and lead shot.

It's got ultra sensing mono detech , yea I'm pretty happy with it, haven't found gold yet only done a hour or so but hitting very small lead shot and tiny bits of iron about as thick as a pin , they are very sensitive ,hadfew dramas in one area where I raised the mode from 3 to 5 and reground balanced and helped a lot ,, but it was really bad ground , I been considering putting a steel phase sp01 on it , as long as it all works on the QED with no interference , I think this machine will do well with it do you run any type of enhancement box? Not like the Minelab with auto ground tracking but I just leave menu open on ground balance and toggle from there if need to , takes few seconds and your off again, thought I had a nugget under a shrub , dug all around the shub and was screaming, pulled the shrub out and kept digging , it was a 22 bullet casing bit over 2 foot down under a shrub , so they do punch pretty deep

Aussiedigga, you didn't mention what audio system you are using. Have you gone totally cordless? There are a number of ways you can achieve this. One point I would make is that if you are using either Bluetooth or WiFi is to avoid mounting any device on the control box, as this can cause interference. Devices can be mounted on the stem or armrest without causing any problems. I have not used the sp01, and can't comment on its performance, but hope to have a look at one at the Laanecoorie bash. All I can say is that I have not heard anything negative about this product.

Supposing the SP01 was to be used with a cordless audio system; what would be the best way to set it up? If using the Garret or Minelab Tx Rx WiFi systems would it be possible to utilize the SP01 on the Rx rather than the Tx? If using the Sennheiser or Bluetooth the SP01 would have to be fitted on the detector (Tx) as the Rx is built into the headphones, in which case the SP01 and the transmitter would need to be mounted somewhere on the stem or armrest.

From the detector to the SP01.
Then the out put goes to your Transmitter.
I have my sp01 slipped in beside the detector
between its cover.
When I go wireless, I bury the transmitter down
the other side opposite the sp01.
Never had any problems but you may have too move
things around a bit to stop any interference.
I use blue tooth.

I'm not sure exactly how the enhancers work but I've rarely had the gain turned right up on my qed, seems to run quieter on 3-5 especially around powerlines.

Reg Wilson said:
Supposing the SP01 was to be used with a cordless audio system; what would be the best way to set it up? If using the Garret or Minelab Tx Rx WiFi systems would it be possible to utilize the SP01 on the Rx rather than the Tx? If using the Sennheiser or Bluetooth the SP01 would have to be fitted on the detector (Tx) as the Rx is built into the headphones, in which case the SP01 and the transmitter would need to be mounted somewhere on the stem or armrest.
Reg I tried both the SP01 & B&Z boosters on the QED.
When using with the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's you have to (obviously) set up with output from detector to SP01 to HD-280 tx unit. Set up like this I found neither unit to offer any real benefit or worthwhile boost in volume. I put this down to the HD-280 tx unit having it's own inbuilt volume control + the low threshold volume output of the QED.
Using the B&Z with the Sennheiser a background hiss was apparent. This I again put down to the low threshold volume output of the QED not being able to mask the background hiss/noise of the B&Z where other machines can mask it with more threshold volume output.
Tried both in various configurations with a couple of different Bluetooth tx/rx units I.e. on tx side & rx side. Didn't seem to make much if any difference where you put the booster. I've always preferred the booster on the rx side attached to myself for ease of access to the volume control/bypass etc. Didn't find either of them very good with Bluetooth on the QED either. They both boosted volume & the SP01 was definitely better (B&Z had apparent hiss again in all configurations). The big problem for me with the Bluetooth is the transmission from the QED. Despite placing the tx in various positions off the control box & well away from it the transmission was still not great compared with using them on other machines - again I put this down to the low threshold volume output of the QED causing a somewhat intermittent or sporadic "cycling" of the Bluetooth transmission.
The SP01 did work well on the QED with wired headphones directly plugged into it. It was a big improvement but my focus was on using a wireless set up.

Aussiedigga said:
It's got ultra sensing mono detech
Great all round coil on the QED IMO. 11" Ultra Sensing Mono
Extra depth over the 8" Commander + I was finding the same small sized bits with it too. Runs really well in mode 3 if the ground allows but is still quite sensitive up to mode 8 although I rarely had to go above 5.

Thanks mbasko. Most informative. Like yourself, i did not find the B&Z booster to be any advantage, with background hiss a nuisance. Also tried a B&Z on a GPX, and did not find it very good at all with the headphones I was using. I think the B&Z is probably only suited for speaker use.
Interesting that the SP01 could be hooked into the Rx, as using it Tx would just add to detector weight, which is something I try to avoid.
Trying to find a Bluetooth Tx that has minimal lag and does not cycle is difficult, but I have been told that they do exist. The one that Jaycar is selling is no good at all, as although lag is minimal the cycling is dreadful. Definitely unsuitable for metal detectors.
The garret Z Link, which has limited volume control, matched to Bose noise cancelling ear buds is now my favorite setup, although a damned expensive combo. Next would be the Sennheiser cordless phones which have both Rx and Tx volume adjustment. Aldi Bauhn N/C earphones in combo with the Z Link also work well, as the latest Bauhn phones have better volume than the earlier ones.

Sorry , audio I have a speaker set up that goes back to a junction box that switches it from headphones to speaker running from a rechargeable battery , I'd have to link phaze sp01 between detector unit and custom control box I'd imagine , but I do get like a interference sound like a football half time siren in back ground only through headset though, I will be definitely setting it up with wireless though , cord is annoying the hell out of me

If anyone wishes to incorporate the sP01 into a wireless set-up, I recommend making the input wireless, then direct plugging your headphones (or speakers) into the sP01.

So transmitter into detector headphone out, and receiver into the sP01 input. The Quest Mate set-up is perfect for this, but don't know how it goes on the qed.

The Quest wireless gear is 2.4Ghz, so no lag, and no loss of sound quality.

With out a doubt when using the sP01 with a wireless system it should be connected to the output of the RX unit.

A lot of wireless systems use digital amps as they are highly efficient and draw very little power. Unfortunately they also tend to smooth the audio a little to get rid of the harshness that a digital amp can produce as well as adding a little bit of eq to compensate for any frequency response loss.

This may counteract some of the enhancement features of the sP01.

PhaseTech said:
If anyone wishes to incorporate the sP01 into a wireless set-up, I recommend making the input wireless, then direct plugging your headphones (or speakers) into the sP01.

So transmitter into detector headphone out, and receiver into the sP01 input. The Quest Mate set-up is perfect for this, but don't know how it goes on the qed.

The Quest wireless gear is 2.4Ghz, so no lag, and no loss of sound quality.

I have been using the deteknix setup (purchased from Nenad) on my QED since early last year with no problems. The tx unit is mounted under the shaft just below the control box. I use both headphones and earbuds and have no issues with volume, nor have I noticed any unwanted interference. The only issue I had at the start was that there was a mismatch with the 3.5mm plug on the deteknix and the QED socket, mine is one of the early QEDs. I replaced the plug on the tx unit and all has been fine since.

steelPHASE said:
With out a doubt when using the sP01 with a wireless system it should be connected to the output of the RX unit.

A lot of wireless systems use digital amps as they are highly efficient and draw very little power. Unfortunately they also tend to smooth the audio a little to get rid of the harshness that a digital amp can produce as well as adding a little bit of eq to compensate for any frequency response loss.

Yep I agree that on rx is the better option but for some systems like the Sennheiser HD-280 Pros this isn't possible as the rx is inbuilt to the headphones. I'm guessing that having inbuilt volume control on both the tx unit & headphones would require some type of inbuilt amp which was negating the SP01 effect with these?

Petere interesting to see you are using the Quest/Deteknix with the QED successfully. 2 x QED users had said that they experienced interference with them (1 in NT & 1 in NSW) so it was one system I didn't try.
When using the SP01 I had to rewire the audio socket on the QED also to get sound in both left & right sides. Initially I could only get sound in one side. At that stage it was an early QED too but later updated to PL2.

Initially I could only get sound in one side. At that stage it was an early QED too but later updated to PL2.

That was the problem I was having but only on the deteknix. Other head phones plugged directly into the detector I tried worked ok. Didn't want to go mucking around with the internals of the QED. Eventually problem solved by putting a different plug on the transmitter. No idea why.

mbasko said:
steelPHASE said:

Yep I agree that on rx is the better option but for some systems like the Sennheiser HD-280 Pros this isn't possible as the rx is inbuilt to the headphones. I'm guessing that having inbuilt volume control on both the tx unit & headphones would require some type of inbuilt amp which was negating the SP01 effect with these?
Should be Sennheiser RS-160's above sorry (which are a Kleer wireless system). My HD-280 Pro's are wired.

petere said:
Initially I could only get sound in one side. At that stage it was an early QED too but later updated to PL2.

That was the problem I was having but only on the deteknix. Other head phones plugged directly into the detector I tried worked ok. Didn't want to go mucking around with the internals of the QED. Eventually problem solved by putting a different plug on the transmitter. No idea why.
My issue was only with the SP01. I didn't have to muck around with the internals of the QED just power/audio lead that was originally supplied. I ended up making my own cables up with heavier duty cable in the end before going to the PL2 configuration.
Without pulling the old leads apart I think it was wired positive bridged to ring & tip + negative to sleeve. To fix I'm pretty sure I wired positive to tip + negative to ring & sleeve left unwired. This is how Minelab wire audio. The sleeve or ground is used as a headphone "switch" I.e. cuts out amp in GPX battery, mutes inbuilt speaker where fitted etc.

Latest posts