Metal Detector advice High end over ~ $3000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never hunted for gold or owned either machine,but from what I have read here the SDC would be my only consideration and clear choice :)

I wouldn't even bother considering any other machine right or wrong wasting more time,just purchase and go gold finding :cool:

The SDC wind hands down for me :Y:

Although I have used both the machines discussed here, neither are my 'cup of tea', but that of course does not mean that my preferences are shared by all.

What I do find intriguing is that The Scrounger can say that the SDC 'wins hands down', when by his own admission he has 'never hunted for gold or owned either machine". He is basing his opinion purely on what he has read here. Both these detectors have good and bad points. Both in my opinion are over priced and over weight, but that may not be a priority with some people.

No way in the world would I decide on the merits of one detector over another purely on 'what is written here', but would make such a decision based on experience using said machines.

Reg Wilson said:
Although I have used both the machines discussed here, neither are my 'cup of tea', but that of course does not mean that my preferences are shared by all.

What I do find intriguing is that The Scrounger can say that the SDC 'wins hands down', when by his own admission he has 'never hunted for gold or owned either machine". He is basing his opinion purely on what he has read here. Both these detectors have good and bad points. Both in my opinion are over priced and over weight, but that may not be a priority with some people.

No way in the world would I decide on the merits of one detector over another purely on 'what is written here', but would make such a decision based on experience using said machines.

Hey Reg, plenty of experienced prospectors here to believe, Minelab make great detectors, you know that of course. If The Scrounger decided to buy an SDC from recommendations here then that would be a good choice. There is plenty of evidence that it is an outstanding detector, especially for people new to gold detecting.

The SDC is actually pretty light I reckon, pretty much anyone could swing one all day without getting tired.

I know Op has asked about SDC & ATX, but another option is QED. With an 8" commander coil it has been shown to be at least as good as the SDC at picking up small gold, much cheaper and weighs in at less than 1.4 Kg. with the 8" coil (SDC weighs 2.3Kg). and can be fitted with most of the after market coils available.
Just saying

1534514743_20180815_200543.jpg
Dont have a detector, but my second hand tea spoon and old screw driver has paid for itself many times over ;) interesting thread here, have been considering an sdc but currently live too far away from a good gold field to justify it. I posted this photo before but it is up to date because havnt found any more since. Nothing huge but some chunky stuff a sensitive detector should be able to get but didnt.

Regardless of FB / Fourms / Ground conditions and 101 other variables....

It actually comes back to the user... have seen top machines find zilch, while cheepies do better.

$5 instant coffee provide a better cup than a $10k machine paired with a $4k grinder and special beans costing $200 a kg...

All about the person managing the device.

The more expensive device may offer enhanced functionality, but the user is the lynch pin.

Gem in 1
I have BOTH MACHINES. Started out with the ATX and thought Itd died so I was lucky to get a 4500 that was only a few weeks old secong hand. I dont know if youve bought yet but the 4500 maybe a little lighter but the BIG PLUS FOR THE 4500 is its capacity to change coils that are much easier to access.
The ATX only has one coil.
The 4500 I now have a 18" spoked Evo, a 14x9 Advantage, and a 8x6 Sadie. Im set and the coils were much easier to access.

Both machines I think will be about the same weightwise because I have a hipstick thats fantastic.

Goodluck with your purchase.

Thanks Tassie Dave and others I was hoping to hear from some atx users as well. Still on the fence a bit but the weight is something I never previously thought about and options for coils is another consideration thanks.
My wifes thoughts for a machine is ease of use with a decent depth punch on heavy mineralised ground around the 3k mark. Sounds like the 4500 ticks those boxes so far.
As for other sources of info I have found PA to be pretty comprehensive of topics.

Cheers :cool:

edit the sdc will live happily for ever with us.

Gem in I said:
Thanks Tassie Dave and others I was hoping to hear from some atx users as well. Still on the fence a bit but the weight is something I never previously thought about and options for coils is another consideration thanks.
My wifes thoughts for a machine is ease of use with a decent depth punch on heavy mineralised ground around the 3k mark. Sounds like the 4500 ticks those boxes so far.
As for other sources of info I have found PA to be pretty comprehensive of topics.

IMHO, Nuggetbuster perfectly summarised the ATX here: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=281773#p281773

And for a direct comparison user experience: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18214

I'm using an ATX because it have the versatility required for both prospecting on our gold fields and beach/water hunting.

Have acquired 5 different coils of which some are totally waterproof like the detector housing, handy/essential when in the water.

I'm using the control box detached from the coil as in hip/chest mount and the coils complete with their own shafts, heaviest of them is the original supplied DD coil at 1.5 kg the lightest is the 7x3.5" DD at 900 gram, latest/newest 13x11" Mono again with complete shaft is 1.4 kg.

ATX housing with batteries and hip mount is 1.750 kg, now compare this with some PI detectors of yesteryear which had the 12 volt 7-Ah Gel battery at 2.1kg.

Wishfully this will not start a brand war, I'm using a tool that is suitable for what I do.

SteelPat said:
nesral said:
Since the steelPHASE enhancer was mentioned ..... is it of any benefit on an ATX ?

Most definitely. A dealer in Qld has been using one on his ATX and is very impressed. There will be more info coming out about that soon.

edit** you will need an adapter to convert the headphone socket to a standard 1/4" headphone jack.

I was looking forward to hearing/seeing a video with a steelPHASE enhancer being used on an ATX.

Anyone seen anything and have a link.?

Latest posts