Question for a Newbie, Semi Grey nomad

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I see similar questions have been posed, but I think this is a bit different because I'm a bit more mobile than most people here.

I've been travelling Australia for 3 years in a Toyota Coaster sized bus (done 2 laps actually) with no plans to stop, and am now starting to get interested in this whole prospecting thing.

Given that at any given time of the year I could be at a beach somewhere, parked in a showgrounds, in the goldfields of Vic, outback NSW or QLD or out in the middle of WA, well anywhere really I guess, what would be a decent detector that would cover most situations without going over $2k for a start.

I'm kind of thinking the Equinox 800 as an all rounder at this stage, but I'd really appreciate people's opinions

Cheers

If $2k is the budget have a look at a used QED PL2 to cover the goldfields.
They can be picked up cheap enough to allow enough left over cash to invest in a decent VLF for parks, beaches etc. - you may even squeeze a new Equinox 600 or 800 within your budget?
That's how I'd go anyway. If you spend any decent amount of time in goldfields areas you'll appreciate having a PI (Pulse Induction) detector.

mbasko said:
If $2k is the budget have a look at a used QED PL2 to cover the goldfields.
They can be picked up cheap enough to allow enough left over cash to invest in a decent VLF for parks, beaches etc. - you may even squeeze a new Equinox 600 or 800 within your budget?
That's how I'd go anyway. If you spend any decent amount of time in goldfields areas you'll appreciate having a PI (Pulse Induction) detector.

That is exactly what I have done. Purchased QED when they first came out no regrets. Equinox 800 should arrive in the post next day or so for the beach. Best of both worlds.

Latest posts