WA Western Australia Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wishfull said:
I wonder how many footies are down there from the oval ?
It's actually a trotting track.
It's a huge hole and wasn't there last time I was in Kal.

aussiefarmer said:
Do they still have the skimpies in the bars ?
I cant remeber how many pubs were on one street but it was enough theres no way of drinking at everyone and remember doing it :lol:

Yep skimpys still here AF,cuppla weeks ago Hannans pub was in the news a bit,they were gonna trial male skimpys,i havent rushed down for a look myself :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here ya go people, for those that don't know, or haven't seen it.

The Kal Super Pit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Pit_gold_mine
quoted "The pit is oblong in shape and is approximately 3.5 kilometres long, 1.5 kilometres wide and Over 600meters deep. At these dimensions, it is large enough to be seen from space.

Its certainly a site to behold when you see it in real life.
It will make a fantastic ski pond when its abandoned. :eek:

Hey all, looking at doing a WA gold tour next year, any ideas on when is the best time to go? In terms of cooler climate and minimal rain.
Any info much appreciated! ?

I recon June is pretty good..May is still hot and plenty of flies..And June hasnt got too cold and wet yet..

Wimbo said:
Hey all, looking at doing a WA gold tour next year, any ideas on when is the best time to go? In terms of cooler climate and minimal rain.
Any info much appreciated! ?

I reckon late August/September is good as winter closes & the ground is drying out & August is wildflower season in the Midwest (my preferred touring time), but different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer late autumn/early winter (April-June) as the temp has cooled off.

pick the area you want, then check out the climate data at
www.farmonlineweather.com.au
example;
Home Climate Kalgoorlie Climate
1532829759_kalgoorlie_climate_data.jpg

Here is an example:

there is a pending lease near Sandstone: E 57/1070
The current holder is SANDSTONE EXPLORATION PTY LTD

Do i need their permission to detect this lease?

gregoire wernert said:
Here is an example:

there is a pending lease near Sandstone: E 57/1070
The current holder is SANDSTONE EXPLORATION PTY LTD

Do i need their permission to detect this lease?
No, its pending :)

kurrajong said:
40 E is only for exploration leases.
Pending leases of any type are available for detecting on, however if it is a pending "mining" lease it is probably over an already granted lease so it is not available for detecting. Sounds odd I know but that is how it works.
Check Tengraph before going on any lease. The colour code is blue for pending, green for live/active and black for vacant land. With a pending claim over an existing lease the area is cross hatched. In this case the underlying lease is active and therefore you can't go on it without the leaseholders permission.

Pastoralist permission is not required to access a lease. You are, however, required to make reasonable attempts to notify the pastoralist of your intention to go onto tenements.
It is sensible to let the pastoralist know where you are but some pastoralists are demanding all sorts of things that are not legally required.

If you join APLA the latest newsletter has contact details for the DMP's liason officer. He is helpful and very experienced in dealing with all matters pertaining to the Mining Act. Also membership gives you public liability insurance for your prospecting.

PM me if you need help with Tengraph or pastoralist stuff.

Hi Kurrajong....."reasonable attempts to notify the pastoralist....." as a blanket statement is incorrect. It only relates to passing and re-passing. I agree 100%
that it is good form to try and contact them to say g'day.

hay there dose anyone know where any gem locations are around perth wa area?

i know you can find Amethyst on the banks of the avon river near northan.

NOTE: the Avon River near the town has been dredged and banks restored so go further out.