Mount Taylor Mine Kingston

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finder66

Colin
Reaction score
Although the mine site has since been capped due to toxic sludge oozing from the site, does anyone know if it is worth detecting the surrounding area for gold.
I have never done it before and was wondering if I would be wasting my time.
The mine site was located on the corner of Kingston and Queens road in Kingston, Logan.

Hi Finder 66,

Not sure if there is any surface gold around that area, I remember going there with my father as a kid to dump rubbish into the old mine(a big hole in the ground half full of water). I don't see anybody with detectors around that area.

Cheers,

Rob

Found some old workings less than 700 meters from the old Mt Taylor mine today, got off work early and thought I might go for a walk and explore, the deposit had to have been found somehow. They are on the eastern side of Scrubby Creek. Quite a bit of scattered and very waterworn quartz in the old spoil. What is a little bit discouraging is that the mine is on the opposite side of the creek and the workings are not extensive, so possibly abandoned due to being barren, but probably worth a shot with the tector. Also, from what I have read the old mine struggled with poor recovery and was using some kind of cyanide leach process, which would indicate fine gold. Might be more effective to use the pan.

The old Kingston Mine has houses built on it. After sludge was coming through peoples properties, they resumed a few blocks of houses and dug down, filled with cement and now there is a park where the houses used to be.

Daisys mine, or whatever it was called, was a prospect really, and a hopeless one as it was encouraged by a diviner. lol

There is a great spot for Alluvial gold South of the Daisy prospect, but it is on private property. Can't remember if it was Bananas or Pineapples on the property.

There is FA chance of getting permission to detect there.

Oh, and Kingston Mine did quite well, and produced good gold. It was more economics and management that ruined it.
And urbanisation.

Same thing is going to happen at Ipswich. Toxic sludge is eventually going to leach out.. All the rubbish from the Gold Coast's 'Refuse Stations' gets dumped at the Old Box Flat and Other mines in the area, Open-cut and Shaft mines are used... There are about 20 Trucks just loading and dumping every day... Up to 5 trips per day per truck...

They even Dumped a few of the Old F1-11's in the old mines....
https://www.qt.com.au/news/famous-fighters-dumped-in-hole/1185891/

Brookfield Creek, Gold Creek and Gap creek all had Gold in them... Many Moons ago...

Some reading on the Mt Taylor Mine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston,_Queensland

Rubbish from as far south as Victoria is Dumped at Ipswich.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

LW...

We used to own the Ampol service station there in Kingston road in the late 70's. I think it was between Queens road and Wembley Road but last time i drove through I couldn't recognise anything. I grew up on Brookfield Creek too and used to heard the neighbours cattle out at Gold Creek for about 20c a day in the 60's. My nephew still lives on the old place at Upper Brookfield that Dad moved to in 1921 :) I've had my eye on those old mines not too far from Bundaleer, in Gold Creek Road, where we used to swim when we were kids. I don't get out there much these times but one day........

I will post a map with the location of the old diggings relative to the Mt Taylor mine when I get some non mobile phone based internet access if anyone is keen for a look.

1503458939_mt_taylor.jpg

Hey AU, would be keen to go have a look, obviously not 'tomorrow' which is now yesterday hahaha. I'm a bit bogged in work at the moment, but would be keen when I have a weekend off. Please be aware from my experience (which is limited) that diggings that dont lead to an associated hard rock mine are often fruitless and as you no doubt know, gold holds few promises until it's in your hand. But a shot at some yellow close to home is always nice. Would be great to find a time when our schedules align to go check it out in the near future. Is there a way I can contact you, or does my Newbie status on this forum preclude me from that?

Splinter said:
Hey AU, would be keen to go have a look, obviously not 'tomorrow' which is now yesterday hahaha. I'm a bit bogged in work at the moment, but would be keen when I have a weekend off. Please be aware from my experience (which is limited) that diggings that dont lead to an associated hard rock mine are often fruitless and as you no doubt know, gold holds few promises until it's in your hand. But a shot at some yellow close to home is always nice. Would be great to find a time when our schedules align to go check it out in the near future. Is there a way I can contact you, or does my Newbie status on this forum preclude me from that?

Sounds good. Yeah I wouldn't expect to find any gold there but always happy to have a swing and mark it off. Plus there is always a chance of finding some relics.

I have a few good prospects lined up and am happy to share my knowledge with the right people.

Just PM me and we can exchange contact details.