Anybody have a 6 inch Mini Cells Dream Mat Sluice?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasional_panner said:
Glad you took that advice well, all too often here many don't like the answer and BAM it's all on.

Pity the Mckirk isn't stocked here, it's seriously the best sluice for a novice as it's so forgiving of settings, getting dream mat just right took me a little while to master.
Just remember you can always lessen water flow by setting it up differently in the creek, but if the creek isn't running enough you simply can't increase water flow.

I think an ideal arsenal would be
Mckirk sluice (testing)
10in dream mat sluice (quick trip when water flow is ok)
12in dream mat banker (one day or more trip)
Trommel feeding 12in banker (two or more days trip) (need to justify the expense if going this far).
(all above legal in vic)

Anyway, have fun, that's the goal :Y: :Y:

All advice is good advice in my opinion.

I have some limited experience in fluid dynamics from my job so i know how water flows, velocity and volume, etc so i would be comfortable judging whether there was sufficient flow. I would still leave a pan on the discharge side of any sluice until i was comfortable with the set up to be honest.

Im no where near ready for highbankers and trommels. And to be honest i only manage to get away once or twice a month at the moment so i couldnt justify the expense yet.

I honestly can't wait to get out prospecting again. Its been 2 long weeks!

Skip75 said:
I have a 6 min sluice. Ive made my own recirculating system with it to do clean up at home using an 1100 gph bilge pump. Still mucking around with set ups etc but seems to be working really well. Looking forward to taking it out for some real action to give it a good test. Am a little unsure of when I should clean it out though so I just keep an eye on how its loading up and when it looks full I clean it out.
Just make sure you have enough flow, if sufficient you should see some prominent lines running the length between the swirls down the length of the tray.
Don't stress about cleaning it out, the gold will be held in there and all the crap will wash out, BUT, only if there is enough flow to create a low pressure zone, all capture systems work on creating a low pressure zone.

man what a great thread, these are the type of threads i used to lose hours on, great to see the PA support is still strong. (i dont get much time to log in these days)

awesome advice been posted all points are spot on, I can tell you i own and have extensively run all the mckirk range, the letrap and no brainer... dream mat.

for me every sluice has an advantage and disadvantage, letrap is great for sand mining, its amazing at concentrating loads of black sands and gold but not very good at concentrating and final cleanup as in you go home with a bucket of black sand and does require alot of water, far more water than an 8 inch dream mat sluice. I ended up modifying my letrap with a metal frame because it would load up with heavies and warp when i was trying to clean out as its very thin. I still love it and tell everyone in my opinion its the best thrermoform plastic sluice on the market.

the MacKirk well you can look back through my threads going back to 2014 i had a ball with these sluices but in the end for Ballarat ironstone it did need allot of water and needed to be cleaned out regularly which is fine it just meant i took alot of buckets of concentrates home with me which is great for wet days but i would end up with 40+ buckets in my backyard never getting time to pan them all, i was running the au boss which is very big, the little sampler was mint for finding paystreaks before you bring the production sluice in i cant fault it either. in fact i did modify mine to take a 3700 gph bilge pump you can see the header on it here they both have a place on my wall in the warehouse.

with regard to the 6 inch mini its not meant to replace a production sluice its really the back seat sluice nice and small, efficient and fast to cleanout. I do have options for this sluice in the pipeline as with all of my products the idea is to continue to develop and accommodate customer request over time.

i'll touch on water a bit, as has been said above we are using SG to sort gold by passing it into a vortex and closing the vortex out which tears the light from heavy in an extreme controlled way, yes we need water to do that but what's more important is the water over the cells is the "Cleaning" function so less water means less cleaning, less cleaning means slower processing time which means slower feed rates.

to clarify further if you classified down to 50mesh you could easily concentrate with a trickle of water the vortex will do the work but you will hold the majority of the material still in the sluice, so the optimal situation is fully submersed particle separation why because we know gold is heavier in water outside of that we need ot use some other tricks. these are old and tested drop riffles, fluid beds etc. and they rely on the crash theory and knowing when is a good time to clean out. dream mat will self clean so you can walk away for 20 minutes with your sluice in the water and be confident your gold wont wash away.

hope i've contributed in some way, great thread guys hope you are all seeing water in your creeks this winter shes been a bit dry lately

1528329622_20180607_100130.jpg

G0lddigg@ said:
man what a great thread, these are the type of threads i used to lose hours on, great to see the PA support is still strong. (i dont get much time to log in these days)

awesome advice been posted all points are spot on, I can tell you i own and have extensively run all the mckirk range, the letrap and no brainer... dream mat.

for me every sluice has an advantage and disadvantage, letrap is great for sand mining, its amazing at concentrating loads of black sands and gold but not very good at concentrating and final cleanup as in you go home with a bucket of black sand and does require alot of water, far more water than an 8 inch dream mat sluice. I ended up modifying my letrap with a metal frame because it would load up with heavies and warp when i was trying to clean out as its very thin. I still love it and tell everyone in my opinion its the best thrermoform plastic sluice on the market.

the MacKirk well you can look back through my threads going back to 2014 i had a ball with these sluices but in the end for Ballarat ironstone it did need allot of water and needed to be cleaned out regularly which is fine it just meant i took alot of buckets of concentrates home with me which is great for wet days but i would end up with 40+ buckets in my backyard never getting time to pan them all, i was running the au boss which is very big, the little sampler was mint for finding paystreaks before you bring the production sluice in i cant fault it either. in fact i did modify mine to take a 3700 gph bilge pump you can see the header on it here they both have a place on my wall in the warehouse.

with regard to the 6 inch mini its not meant to replace a production sluice its really the back seat sluice nice and small, efficient and fast to cleanout. I do have options for this sluice in the pipeline as with all of my products the idea is to continue to develop and accommodate customer request over time.

i'll touch on water a bit, as has been said above we are using SG to sort gold by passing it into a vortex and closing the vortex out which tears the light from heavy in an extreme controlled way, yes we need water to do that but what's more important is the water over the cells is the "Cleaning" function so less water means less cleaning, less cleaning means slower processing time which means slower feed rates.

to clarify further if you classified down to 50mesh you could easily concentrate with a trickle of water the vortex will do the work but you will hold the majority of the material still in the sluice, so the optimal situation is fully submersed particle separation why because we know gold is heavier in water outside of that we need ot use some other tricks. these are old and tested drop riffles, fluid beds etc. and they rely on the crash theory and knowing when is a good time to clean out. dream mat will self clean so you can walk away for 20 minutes with your sluice in the water and be confident your gold wont wash away.

hope i've contributed in some way, great thread guys hope you are all seeing water in your creeks this winter shes been a bit dry lately

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/357/1528329622_20180607_100130.jpg

Hi mate, i ordered one of the mini dream mat sluices a couple of nights ago. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks for your input, great advice.

Now i just need to find a creek close to home to try it out next week.

Everywhere seems to be dry west of Melbourne at the moment.

Highly recommend. A real quality product with service to match. For the price it is a really amazing build - no way you could do the same for under the price, well I couldnt anyway. And from unpacking to using is only a 20min process. Ive run a few buckets of concentrates for good gold and found the rib matting ideal as my dirt had essentially been classified already.

Looking forward to getting a full day out of it and seeing how much it can really handle.

I understand what everyone was saying about getting enough water flow to make the material dance in the cells. At first i struggled to achieve this but after creating a funnel for the water with rocks it was fine. I might have had the angle slightly too high though as the material at the bottom of the sluice wasn't clearing well, but i figured it didnt matter too much as if that material had settled at the base the gold would have settled long before that. I also had a pan at the tailings end and didn't find any gold in it.

I just purchased one today in the hope that i will head out next week when I have some time off.I'm really looking forward to being able to pop it into my backpack and head on in to the local bush creeks and give a run. I've only been out 5 times and after watching Youtube I took the plundge and bought one off of ebay from The Gold Rat store

Make sure to buy a gold sieve set. I think they are about 30 dollars on ebay. You need the 1/8th mesh one.

I was shovelling into my pan with a classifier on top, classifying the material, then putting the material through the 1/8th mesh sieve on another pan, then into the bucket. I done this about 20 times before i had about 10ltrs of material to put through the sluice.

I have a 20ltr bucket and i found having a yabbie pump one side and the sluice on the other side balanced it nicely. I keep my pans in my backpack so no room for the sluice.

Looks Great AM1990 notice how the material has built up quite a bit you can increase the cleaning function by adding more angle to remove more material and end up with alot less concentrates. certainly the lower end being submersed causes the material to pile up it the water pushing back up against the force that does that. sometimes unavoidable but you can often lift the sluice a bit and dam further to increase velocity to achieve the same result. thanks for sharing :)

G0lddigg@ said:
Looks Great AM1990 notice how the material has built up quite a bit you can increase the cleaning function by adding more angle to remove more material and end up with alot less concentrates. certainly the lower end being submersed causes the material to pile up it the water pushing back up against the force that does that. sometimes unavoidable but you can often lift the sluice a bit and dam further to increase velocity to achieve the same result. thanks for sharing :)

I was playing about with the angles abit throughout the morning and putting the sluice in various positions in the stream whilst creating dams to increase the volume of water. I think i got just enough flow. At certain angles the material wasn't clearing from the metal tray at the top of the sluice, so i increased the angle and it worked fine.

There has been more rain lately so i am hoping the creeks will be flowing faster too. Aiming to get out on Sunday and Monday and really put it through its paces. I am thinking to fill a 20ltr bucket with cons, process them through the sluice, clean out the sluice and repeat. I'll post my results next week.

Thanks for the quick service and delivery Golddigga, great product.

Good work AM, if you ever run a banker with dream mat, you'll understand just how good it is and what perimeters you actually need for it, it's tricky to do with a sluice, not impossible though.

AM1990 said:
I was playing about with the angles abit throughout the morning and putting the sluice in various positions in the stream whilst creating dams to increase the volume of water. I think i got just enough flow. At certain angles the material wasn't clearing from the metal tray at the top of the sluice, so i increased the angle and it worked fine.

There has been more rain lately so i am hoping the creeks will be flowing faster too. Aiming to get out on Sunday and Monday and really put it through its paces. I am thinking to fill a 20ltr bucket with cons, process them through the sluice, clean out the sluice and repeat. I'll post my results next week.

Thanks for the quick service and delivery Golddigga, great product.

Hi AM1990, how are you getting along with the mini? I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Hi AM1990, how are you getting along with the mini? I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Hi mate. Yeah it's great. If you need to hike/walk into an area that isn't easy to get into, it's great for putting it in a large backpack. The only downside is you need a sieve and bucket.

The dream cells are really good, i like watching them work and they are fairly easy to get the hang of.

I've gone on to buy a 10inch sluice however it's a bit too big for the areas i go to as i tend to walk/hike in to an area. If i was driving to an area and i could park near the area i was working, the 10inch would be perfect.

Well made products and great service.

I'm heading out tomorrow so i'll try and get a video of it in action and put it on youtube and post the link.

Hey mate, I've since bought my own 6" mini sluice and she's awesome. I get mesmerised watching the material dancing in the cells of the dream mat.. #8 mesh classified material is ideal and she chews it up.

I often get gold sitting in the GOLD RAT lettering at the top of the mat - it's great to see! :)

I've just purchased the dream mat10in x 36in to use in the sluice ,wish it would hurry up and get here :lol:

Latest posts