Will this be the Ultimate Prospecting Vehicle?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldchaser1 said:
You must be stoked with it all back togethor,looks great,so they run a 24v system do they?

All FFR (fitted for radio) vehicles had both 12 and 24v systems, 12v for the engine and cabin etc and the 24v for the radio systems, power was from a 24v 100A water resistant brushless generator, it's a bit of a monster and weighs a baby ton!
1532940259_24v-gene.jpg

12v at the top, then the 24v gene and aircon compressor hiding down the bottom.

aussiefarmer said:
Looks like a isolator switch innthe picture :Y: 24 volt systems need them , even just to disconnect the battery . Without them its so simple to frizz the terminal.
Nice truck :Y:

Spot on, I like to have everything switchable, glad you like the beast, thanks :)

Dihusky said:
Goldchaser1 said:
You must be stoked with it all back togethor,looks great,so they run a 24v system do they?

All FFR (fitted for radio) vehicles had both 12 and 24v systems, 12v for the engine and cabin etc and the 24v for the radio systems, power was from a 24v 100A water resistant brushless generator, it's a bit of a monster and weighs a baby ton!
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10304/1532940259_24v-gene.jpg
12v at the top, then the 24v gene and aircon compressor hiding down the bottom.

Interesting dihusky,my first thought is if it was just for radios etc why keep it,more load on the motor etc,something im missing obviously,looks like you could run a small town off it :lol:

Goldchaser1 said:
Interesting dihusky,my first thought is if it was just for radios etc why keep it,more load on the motor etc,something im missing obviously,looks like you could run a small town off it :lol:

The back of the vehicle has a 24v winch plus inside the chests we are running 3 fridges, 2 drawer units and Waeco 40 so we considered it easier to retain than change over to 12v and fit a larger 12v alternator and buy a new winch.
The cabin wiring is completely independent from the back so we would have had to either set up a whole new series of feeds to tap into the existing cabin wiring or keep the two systems separate. Also the 24v winch came with the truck when we bought her, she actually had two, but we sold the second one.

Things may change in the future, but stuff like the fridges are far more efficient on 24 that 12v, if things do change it'll be easier to fit a 24v alternator and fabricate a new mounting system. Overall the current draw is very low except when we need the rear winch so there is minimal extra load on the motor.

Finally she's ready for the road, got Rigby to try out his new bed/seat on Sunday and he certainly seemed happy to be beside us for a change instead of the back of the Patrol.

Just got to finish carpeting the chests, but no great rush there. All up it's taken almost a year since we picked her up and started work.
1534244821_finished.jpg

1534244842_rear_access_and_jerrys.jpg

Total fuel load can be upto 370 litres, also has 70l of water so recon we can get lost for a few days without too many worries!

Lookin good DiH ................ but as you well know, it's more what you can't see than what you can that makes this a great rig :Y: Top Job :Y: :Y:

Congratulations on the completion, thinking two things that still need to be done

1. Am thinking green hair dye; the hound dog could use a matching camo panel painted on his chest to complete the ensemble.

2. Would love to see a couple of gold nugget kill stickers on the bonnet, hope you get out there to get your first one soon

And thanks for sharing the build, it has been a most enjoyable thread to follow.

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments and yes there's a lot going on behind the camo. Currently putting a list together for the Insurance so I can raise the value, they want me to justify which I suppose is fair particularly as I want her fully covered for everything we've spent.

Latest posts