1935 penny

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I can get them too. But they are fakes not real 1930's . Yes you are correct you won't pull one out of the ground in aVF condition. I was only using that as an example to say that coins, if you intend to sell them to a collector or dealer who is serious like me , that the coins need to be as found not cleaned. By chance do you have a real 1930 penny not a copy or fake ? I ask this because my coin dealer showed me a 1930 in absolutely abysmal condition and he was asking 10,000 for it. I would have rated it a very poor condition not even average and he agreed with me on that point.So even in that condition it was commanding a high price. I am now into pre decimal coins with errors called varieties. For example one not so common one is the 1925 Broken n or thin n varieties for instance or coins with high lips or die cracks. You may come across these when you find coins in the ground and although they may be in poor condition they can in some cases be worth a little bit of money for the right coin. Have you heard of the 1931 dropped one Indian die penny ? Hopefully you may be lucky enough to find one while out swinging and even if it is in poor condition it can be worth a bit of money. I was told that cleaning a coin lowers its value by my coin dealer. Hope you have some luck finding some of these types of coins. I hope also they are worth some money to you. :) :Y:

227dick said:
well you wont pull a vf coin out of the ground and I can get 3 1930 pennys off gumtree for $30 bucks but they are only worth what anyone wants to pay half the time there scratched while digging them out or hit by a mower but going on about the coin is virtually worthless that's just how it goes but mine cleaned coins look fantastic in my finds book
Hey Dick..
You do know those 1930s on gumtree or Ebay are fake/ copies .
If you have been collecting all your life you would know that every thing Pete has said is correct :Y:
There was a crapy one on Ebay a few weeks ago sold for 10k :Y:

pete165 said:
Yes I can get them too. But they are fakes not real 1930's . Yes you are correct you won't pull one out of the ground in aVF condition. I was only using that as an example to say that coins, if you intend to sell them to a collector or dealer who is serious like me , that the coins need to be as found not cleaned. By chance do you have a real 1930 penny not a copy or fake ? I ask this because my coin dealer showed me a 1930 in absolutely abysmal condition and he was asking 10,000 for it. I would have rated it a very poor condition not even average and he agreed with me on that point.So even in that condition it was commanding a high price. I am now into pre decimal coins with errors called varieties. For example one not so common one is the 1925 Broken n or thin n varieties for instance or coins with high lips or die cracks. You may come across these when you find coins in the ground and although they may be in poor condition they can in some cases be worth a little bit of money for the right coin. Have you heard of the 1931 dropped one Indian die penny ? Hopefully you may be lucky enough to find one while out swinging and even if it is in poor condition it can be worth a bit of money. I was told that cleaning a coin lowers its value by my coin dealer. Hope you have some luck finding some of these types of coins. I hope also they are worth some money to you. :) :Y:

Very true. I usually check my coins, if it is a rare date, I would not clean it either. Unfortunately I have not found anything worth that kind of money, so cleaning the coins doesn't really matter too much. But I have not cleaned some rarer ones.

Its a funny thing that, I would say that if there was only one remaining rare coin, it would sell for a lot, regardless of condition, clean or damaged.
I would think the not cleaning coins part would relate to damaging the coin further, but if you could clean it without creating any further damage, then it should not matter too much. But then again, if someone wants to offer more for an unclean coin, then by all means.

Best to check before cleaning. Agreed :Y: :Y:

well smokie have been collecting all my life and have 8 1930 pennys in vg to 1 vf and 1 of them was bought at a flea market in a big box of old coins and I paid $3for it and I do agree with pete but an old shity coin dug up that is worth nothing can be cleaned up like new looks better than old and manky I really don't care about the price of a coin its more about finding it and putting it with the others I found

227dick said:
well smokie have been collecting all my life and have 8 1930 pennys in vg to 1 vf and 1 of them was bought at a flea market in a big box of old coins and I paid $3for it and I do agree with pete but an old shity coin dug up that is worth nothing can be cleaned up like new looks better than old and manky I really don't care about the price of a coin its more about finding it and putting it with the others I found
That's great mate but you need the 1930 com penny not a roo :Y: If you got 8 of them than you are a very lucky man. And probably the only person in the world that has that many. :Y:

Downies is overpriced imo. A better guage of true value would be ebay. I have a cs96 100 dollar note valued in the thousands according to downies. Well under a grand according to ebay. Same goes for my 1966 wavys.

Hey Dick.
I may be gullible but I and im sure everyone else would love to see a pick of your 8 x 1930 commonwealth pennies.As I have never seen anyone on this forum with one. I am just Amazed that you have so many concidering they are so rare :Y: Y:

Johnno , great coins & great photos

Out if interest , what were you using to take the photos pls.. ?

both my grand dads were bankers out west qld and both were mad coin collectors 1 coin collection weighed 628 kg the other collection was 36 boxes with about 25 books of coins and 7 buckets of coins that he never got around to sorting

Just for the record .........

1930 Penny only 1000 - 1200 were minted and most not circulated

The only genuine 1930 penny I know found by a Detector was in the late 1990s
It was found under a pier in Victoria ( in the water )
It was in poor condition & was sold at auction for about $ 7000

Trash said:
Johnno , great coins & great photos

Out if interest , what were you using to take the photos pls.. ?
galaxy S5 phone and a little LED desk lamp and a 600mil bottle of water for a mono pod rest to keep the phone steady all very high tech stuff .( when i think of all the good 35mm stuff i had and sold i almost break into tears ).one day mybe i will buy a good digi camera . the camera i bought when i sold my 35mm nikon gear is an olympus c5050 and it is not much good even as a paper weight . i paid 1600 bucks for it new and 3 months later it was such old tech you could buy them for a few hundred.
johno

"Although two or three specimens with English obverse have been authenticated by the Royal Australian Mint and the Royal Mint"

Interesting.

full moon in 9 days warning!!!!!
hope lone wolf reads this
good luck heatho and mod squad
think there maybe a lunar eclipse as well not sure tho
:party: :party: no popcorn emoji

Latest posts