Nice red garnets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi ,I have some nice garnets and have cut one of these brilliant cut 1carrot .It looks the goods. I have a 30 carrot and a 26 carrot red garnet .Is this rare to find this size?
Thanks

Would you care to show us a pic? I'm not sure how rare they are but they do sound nice.

I will do,just having trouble with photo size,any hints on downsizing pics?

Depending where they come from may not be too rare.
Many years ago someone asked me to facet some garnet from Gemtree NT. These were chunks of perhaps 25-50ct., a beautiful deep red and seemingly few flaws.
The problem was that this material (perhaps due to its cooling as the crystals formed) had very high internal stresses which resulted in the stones shattering as they were facetted.
This also happed with zircon from the same area, I had 4 cut stones ready to mount on a brooch when one suddenly went "poof" into a million fragments!
I hope you dont experience this with yours, as I mention it may well depend where they came from.
Mike

Trouble down sizing off ipad

1383210673_image.jpg

Lots of colour there Varts, I stand back a little with the iPad then crop it to reduce picsils!
Iv returned home to my boat in port Stephens to take care of a few jobs, hope to see ya on the hunt again soon.

Latest posts