Fossicking around Victor Harbor

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Hillbilly, I'm new to Prospecting, found a few tiny pieces at Jupiter creek by panning old railings but it's tiny pieces, very keen to give the Onk a go as I live around willunga, would be very interested to know where to head for a go on the onk.. Any help would be awesome. I've considered walking in through back of kangarilla where there's access for rock climbing but it's a fair slog down to the river, you reckon it be worth the hike? Cheers.. Benny..
Hillbillygold said:
Hi Ozzie

I have only panned the upper Finnis directly below the hill on which there is an old gold mine, but there was evidence some one had been detecting. There is no sign of alluvial mining and the mine its self is a reef mind. The land the mine is on is privately owned but has been deemed or zoned as a sanctuary now. I got permission to enter the land from the owners which helps.

The best gold i have got is from the Onk, again i don't detect. I like to pan and sluice.
The area i go on the Onk was mined back in the day by the old timers and it was only alluvial mining. You can still see the evidence there. I have puled from the river, gold as big as 1/2 my little finger nail. Every time i have been there i have never seen any evidence of detecting. But i would say it would be great for detecting.

No one can stop you being on the river or 3mt ether side of it. The problem is crossing someones land to get to the river, that you need permission for.

The beauty with the Onk is its down from the Mount Bold dam, and once a year they open the flood gates ( usually at the beginning of winter to allow for winter rains ).
This sends a torrent down the river renewing and exposing new gold. There are large exposed quartz veins in the river banks and which also run under the river.

I now live in QLD so i haven't been there for quite some time. I don't know if things have changed there but every time i was there i never saw anyone or any evidence of any one being there, only my old digs.

I will post some old photos when i find them.

HBG

Hey hillbillygold I was wondering where down from Clarendon the old mining was ? I have tried panning from Clarendon towards where peters creek comes in but no luck I have noticed domes piles of rock on side of hill just up from peters creek could this be the area thanks

Hi Goldenred33
from Reid creek up to Claredon.
I pulled the best pieces from where reid creek meets the Onk.
Hike up from Reid to and you will come across the old workings. There is exposed quarts vanes in the river and in the hill side. This is not in the National park but you are with in your right to hike up the river from the park if you dont want to cross private land. Google map the spot.
good luck

Hello
I am french, I would like to know more about australia and be prospector of gold with a metal detector, know you or how to post a message if a person uses a MINELAB GPX 7000 I am told that this is the MUST be this really worth seeing its high cost 9000 , so I wanted to know how to post this message on the AUSTRALIAN website for me to have answers
and I would like to know that I am looking for help for me to be a prospector in AUSTRALIA have you or know you or go to not really be empty-handed thanks for your answers it will be very valuable.

thank you
Patrice

TTKooAu said:
Blackfellows Creek, which was part of the Willunga goldfields, still shows some colour, but you will need permission. There was also a gold mine almost dead centre of Granite Island back in the day.

Sent you a PM about that Clrendon gold, HBG.

TT
If you mean the Coolanine Mine, it was actually an unsuccessful copper prospect with some lead (although I thought it was at Rosetta Head). Granites of the area are not good for gold.

Hey hillbillygold did u get many bits of gold in pans when looking for it ? Or did u only notice it more using sluice? I have been down to Reid Creek into onk lots of nice quartz veins going into water but had no luck in my pan

I pulled a nice piece ( about 1/2 the size of my little finger nail ) from under a rock in the river just down from where Reid creek runs in to the onk. Try digging behind some of the tree close to the river when the river is at its lowest. If you got up to Reid creek and then continued up around the next bend you would have noticed all the old workings.
Stranger you got no gold , i all ways came away with something. Dont look in the obvious spots try deep under rocks in the river or the tree roots higher up on the banks.
I have mostly panned there. Use a wash bucket to move and classify more dirt. (its easier than carrying a sluice in)

Hi hillbillygold that would have been great to find a piece like that, heaps of nice quartz veins around Reid creek, the river has constant environmental flow at atm so not going to get low easily I have seen up around the next Bend I think I know what u are talking about as the alluvial diggings, I have a sluice now so might try that down there soon thanks for information much appreciated

goldierocks said:
TTKooAu said:
Blackfellows Creek, which was part of the Willunga goldfields, still shows some colour, but you will need permission. There was also a gold mine almost dead centre of Granite Island back in the day.

Sent you a PM about that Clrendon gold, HBG.

TT
If you mean the Coolanine Mine, it was actually an unsuccessful copper prospect with some lead (although I thought it was at Rosetta Head). Granites of the area are not good for gold.

Hi Goldierocks, sorry for the late reply!!
No, not the copper mine at the Bluff. I live about a kilometre from there.
The gold mine, or more accurately gold diggings was in alluvial material on Granite island , consisting of small flakes and some small nuggets
try this link https://www.mindat.org/loc-239137.html

TT

Hi Ozzie

I have only panned the upper Finnis directly below the hill on which there is an old gold mine, but there was evidence some one had been detecting. There is no sign of alluvial mining and the mine its self is a reef mind. The land the mine is on is privately owned but has been deemed or zoned as a sanctuary now. I got permission to enter the land from the owners which helps.

The best gold i have got is from the Onk, again i don't detect. I like to pan and sluice.
The area i go on the Onk was mined back in the day by the old timers and it was only alluvial mining. You can still see the evidence there. I have puled from the river, gold as big as 1/2 my little finger nail. Every time i have been there i have never seen any evidence of detecting. But i would say it would be great for detecting.

No one can stop you being on the river or 3mt ether side of it. The problem is crossing someones land to get to the river, that you need permission for.

The beauty with the Onk is its down from the Mount Bold dam, and once a year they open the flood gates ( usually at the beginning of winter to allow for winter rains ).
This sends a torrent down the river renewing and exposing new gold. There are large exposed quartz veins in the river banks and which also run under the river.

I now live in QLD so i haven't been there for quite some time. I don't know if things have changed there but every time i was there i never saw anyone or any evidence of any one being there, only my old digs.

I will post some old photos when i find them.

HBG
Am after more precise location on onka as grand daughter is keen to do some gold panning but would like to see some gold for her efforts ( i used to pan in victoria years ago ) & south aus seems rather poor c f vic , thanks peter