Maryborough or Bendigo?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You asked for people to take you to likely spots and that you HAVE to find gold! How about just enjoying time in the bush

mids0n said:
Teemore said:
mids0n said:
In tas we have something like Geovic Called MRT (minerals resources Tas) and on that system you can actually click on the past mining activities and bring up all associated reports and information. Is there someway i can access that sort of info over here in Vic so that i can at least better my chances of finding a likely location
Cheers Brendan :Y:

Hi Brendan,
Firstly sorry that you're based in Mildura rather than the GT, up that way I'd be checking out some of the popular swimming beaches on the Murray or some old parks, not from that area but always worth a look if you can't chase gold.

Yes GeoVic is the way to go. You can log in as anon or register (free). I bit of fiddling to get what you need but gives good accurate historical info.

Cheers T.

I'm not bad at using GeoVic to see the old diggings and that sort of thing but how do i actually see the reports from any particular area? i want to have a bit of a read and find out how much gold was recording as being recovered from certain areas, what depths, what caused the old timers to leave, that sort of thing. If such a resource is possible that is... as i said, it's available in the maps in tas so one would think that it'd be available here in vic. You just click on the depost (alluvial or hardrock) and it will bring up the associated literature. If that is possible on GeoVic and there's something i'm missing (like a certain button i need to press) if someone could help me out that'd be much appreciated :D :Y:

Or even if someone just comes with me next sunday and could just take me to some likely spots. I'm not wasting another day finding nothing. I will find something, i have to!!!!
I can sometimes assist on specific areas (message me privately if you want info on somewhere specific)

mids0n said:
Teemore said:
mids0n said:
In tas we have something like Geovic Called MRT (minerals resources Tas) and on that system you can actually click on the past mining activities and bring up all associated reports and information. Is there someway i can access that sort of info over here in Vic so that i can at least better my chances of finding a likely location
Cheers Brendan :Y:

Hi Brendan,
Firstly sorry that you're based in Mildura rather than the GT, up that way I'd be checking out some of the popular swimming beaches on the Murray or some old parks, not from that area but always worth a look if you can't chase gold.

Yes GeoVic is the way to go. You can log in as anon or register (free). I bit of fiddling to get what you need but gives good accurate historical info.

Cheers T.

I'm not bad at using GeoVic to see the old diggings and that sort of thing but how do i actually see the reports from any particular area? i want to have a bit of a read and find out how much gold was recording as being recovered from certain areas, what depths, what caused the old timers to leave, that sort of thing. If such a resource is possible that is... as i said, it's available in the maps in tas so one would think that it'd be available here in vic. You just click on the depost (alluvial or hardrock) and it will bring up the associated literature. If that is possible on GeoVic and there's something i'm missing (like a certain button i need to press) if someone could help me out that'd be much appreciated :D :Y:

Or even if someone just comes with me next sunday and could just take me to some likely spots. I'm not wasting another day finding nothing. I will find something, i have to!!!!
A good method is to go to Geovic, look at the exploration licence layer, look at the latest licence over the area you are interested in for which there is a report (highest number) and download the report. Most companies have summaries of past exploration, historical reports, lists of maps, production for the areas they explore - often those summaries are in their earliest dated exploration quarterly and annual reports.

You can also pull up the mineral localities and mines layers on geovic, and if you click on any mine or prospect that interests you, you will get a table that includes its production.

Another good source is the Geological Survey of Victoria Reports on the various published 1:100,000 geological map sheets - each one has a comprehensive summary of all goldfields on that sheet, including detailed goldfields maps, production etc. There are also other reports, Memoirs and Bulletins on specific goldfields, but start with the Reports on the 100K mapsheets.

1533438896_vicgoldfieldsmap.jpg

1533438915_productionvic.jpg

Hey goldirocks! Thanks for replying to me. Wouldnt believe it, i found a small piece today in a mullock heap that is probably only .1 of a g but its my first detected piece In vic. Not long after a wire in my headphone cable broke, rendering my sdc2300 basically useless 8.( 8.( 8.( ive been detecting up at stuart mill today but now im in st arnaud about to do some panning before i head back to mildura. Ill have a look at thr geovics info when i get home.as for you mec, your negativity isnt wanted here.

Congratulations mids0n on your first Vic detected gold :Y: not great news about your headphone wires hope you get it sorted and get back onit soon.

Hey Mec you have been a member since 2015 and made 13 post seems you dont contribute to much to the forum so I think you dont have the right to say a lot about what is asked here .he was asking for advice and maybe someone to go out detecting with not a hot spot. PP

I have the right to write whatever I want, mind your own business, and just because I dont post much doesnt mean I dont look at the forum every day, dont be angry because you cant find any gold either :|

I can find gold and I am not angry would take more than your comment to get me angry ,but dont knock others because they ask for help you have the right to wright what ever you wish but you dont have the right to sling crap at people asking for help .PP

Great news ladies and gents! They've allowed me 2 days work in the maryborough district... Yesterday i had a job in talbot so when i was finished that i spent about 2 hours with my new wireless booster/headset combo that was atleast twice as clear/louder than the koss ur30's. no gold unfortunately but i didnt have time to put in any reasearch, just headed upto nuggety gully and started swinging on a surfaced area.
Today i was going to take a sicky and spend the day detecting but when i woke and heard the rain i thought better of it. I will have the afternoon to detect and also tomorrow before i leave at 1 for the toll ship in melbourne before i start my journey back to hobart.

I'm staying at an Airbnb in Castlemaine and have identified several likely locations to have a crack at tomorrow. If anyone has the day off and would like to join me, i'd be delighted to make your acquaintance. I appreciate all of the help that has been provided through this thread. :Y:

Cheers mids0n

Hey MidsOn,
Did you find any gold?
What area did you end up detecting.
Cheers,
Gpx

Latest posts