Castlemaine Victoria area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
Bogger said:
Chuky boy said:
Hi all, im headed up to castlemaine for the weekend. Any recommendations where I can find a 15g+ nugget?

Donkey Gully Rd .................... Showells Hill ;)
Don't tell anyone though ;) :lol:

Actually as you turn off the highway and come over where the train line used to be and swing to the right............... about a k up just over the hill on the left of road, there was the old china mans general store that serviced the area. Long gone now one would imagine, but found a box of old flintlock muskets there as a kid :Y: We used them as cap guns ................... wish I had them now :rolleyes:

Hey all
Just returned home from my trip to Castlemaine. Thanks to all for the usefull information. Unfortunately I did not strike it rich this time around. No 15+ grammar. I only got about 4 hrs of detecting sat arvo before the rain and hail set in. Sunday was an early trip back to Melbourne to visit a family member in hospital. No gold at all, although I did find this weird little fish head which is apparently art of an old snake belt buckle. Looks as though its eyes and mouth are lined with gold. I also found a terminated quartz crystal with rainbow colours in the middle of it. Thanks again fellow members for your help. I hope many of you found some of the right coloured stuff.
Cheers Colin (Chuky boy)
1534063062_b4e060cd-6f73-4c15-bbf0-c1fbe8a2d6a1.jpg
1534063143_2a0c2c1b-427c-4c79-9996-865e2b7994bc.jpg

I really think most of the 15 gram+ spots have been detected out mate.
Next time ask for info on where the 1 ounce+ slugs are lurking. You should get a lot more reliable directions to these. :p

am planning a trip to Castlemaine area for week, can anyone advise me on some areas to have a look at.Was thinking about going to area past garfield wheel, maybe have a look at area around wattle gully mine any kind words would be apprieciated

Hi If your up the Wattle gully mine way Fryerstown rd, about 1 klm past the mine
on the right is the scout camp road, follow it past the camp there's plenty of ground
above the camp

Hi all, Im heading across to Castlemaine in Victoria in a couple of weeks and wanted to get some advice on detecting/panning/sluicing and what to expect. We are aiming to stay in Castlemaine and head up into the hills and creeks around that area. We have got a couple of minelab x terra 705s and will be looking at upgrading in the near future. Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

I just got back from that area try creswick at slaty creek great spot I did panning and sluiceing there at camp 2 and 3 you will get gold but it's cold and wet there with panning and sluiceing just find spot and dig gold everywhere in creek won't make you rich but it's fun

Hi everyone!
I'm back after a few year break :D and now the the Billy Lids are a bit older and interested in rocks I'm looking to take them out for a detect.
We recently picked up a new gold monster from Maryborough and keen to take it for a swing.
I'm not chasing any exact spots but I'm hoping someone could point us in the direction of some shallow ground, no deep holes for the rug rats to disappear down.
We are pretty close to Castlemaine so anywhere fairly flat in the region would be ideal.
Failing that even a few specs in the pan would make them over the moon :D
If anyone is willing to share a safe spot please pm me!
Happy Friday everyone!!!

Latest posts