Coin hunting on beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went down to the beach today with my son Ashton on the hunt for some coins and anything else we may find. We came up with $7.15 worth of coins today and the usual trash. One thing Id like to know do other people when detecting near the sea wall get false readings all the time. If so do you stay away from the edges of the beach or is there a way to eliminate it. Im using the equinox 800. We were trying to detect the edge of the beach at south Cronulla near the steps and footpath that is covered in sand. Every time I would go over the edge of the concrete step it would give a reading. Should I try in Park mode near the step or just stay away from the edges. Most of the coins we found were near the edge of the beach today but too much interference right up against the steps etc.
We are both loving this hobby and cant wait to get out and about some more.
Happy detecting
Terry and Ashton. :D :D :D

Yeah, most concrete has got steel reinforcing in it and will be impossible to detect next to. If you turn up the iron balance to 9 ( go to recovery speed and hold the settings button down) you can get a bit closer. Ive dug up a few pipes etc too.

I do a lot of detecting on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, a lot of the steps as Dave said have reo in them and they extend out quite a bit under the sand, pretty much impossible to detect without going nuts from all the signals, the Nox however is better at detecting near these spots than say the CTX3030, it's very difficult and I just work as close to the edges as possible. Manly in one spot has a concrete ledge to protect the base of the sea wall, it runs for about 50-60 metres along the beach wall and about 5 metres out from the wall.

Along the walls can be very good spots too as people like to sit up against the walls, the towell lines are generally the best spots to do though, just above the highest tide mark. Though on the beaches I've found good stuff that can be practically anywhere, even in apparently barren of treasure areas and then boom, chunky gold. :) Just the luck of the day mostly.

Keep practicing until summer heats up and the tourists start hitting the packed beaches, coins everywhere, I did very well last summer, the beaches are flogged here now but will be plenty again soon. :Y:

Thanks Dave and Heath for tips and yes we will be practicing plenty up till summer. Now the soccer season has ended and today is going to be 25 degrees time to hit a few beaches around the area. Thanks again.

Sidelines of soccer fields are top spots too. :) Just be careful recovering targets though, pinpointer and screwdriver does the trick. :Y:

Thanks for the tip, Im yet to buy a pinpointer but have been looking at the Minelab 35 and Garrett pro from what Ive read they are pretty popular choices.

Latest posts