Danger of camping in Windy conditions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. Those trees can be pretty unpredictable. I'm always a bit nervous camping around trees.

https://www.latrobe.edu.au/education/downloads/brookes_a_preventing_death_serious_injury.pdf

Table 1, incident second from the top. I was there that night/weekend for the Armstrong 500.

That was a Friday night, very little wind. From memory, I'm pretty sure that was a dead gum. Poor blokes camped very close to it and it just came down on them.

Everyone tried to carry on for the rest of the weekend trying to complete the course. It hit me bad by Saturday arvo and I had to give up. I ended up in the first aid tent and was taken back home early.

aussiefarmer said:
Look up contstanly as theres widow makers everywhere.
Where I live there are old Sugar Gums that have been cut back severely to a hight of about a metre back about 45 to 50 years ago. These trees are now around 25 metres high and all around our town. I shudder every time we get a Gail force wind, someone is going to get killed one day from these trees, we often get them breaking off from where they grew out from the original trunk. Just this year we have had several fall.

RM Outback said:
Hope this works (the link that is) 3 seriously injured while camping on a Buck's weekend at Big River near Marysville Vic. https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/three-men-seriously-injured-after-tree-falls-on-camp-site-near-marysville/news-story/bd8d3730383e18d386c109ed82fffe73

Very lucky to be alive.
So true. Apparently the tree that fell was from the other side of a river/creek, so need to not only look up, but work out where trees can fall based on their height.

Rob P

PabloP said:
RM Outback said:
Hope this works (the link that is) 3 seriously injured while camping on a Buck's weekend at Big River near Marysville Vic. https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/three-men-seriously-injured-after-tree-falls-on-camp-site-near-marysville/news-story/bd8d3730383e18d386c109ed82fffe73

Very lucky to be alive.
So true. Apparently the tree that fell was from the other side of a river/creek, so need to not only look up, but work out where trees can fall based on their height.

Rob P

So true Rob the fall/drop zone can be up to 30 metres in those parts, their big trees up that way. Not uncommon to stand in excess of 100 feet and plenty of them you'd be pressed to find a 30 metre clearing.

Anyone visiting the Pilbara, WA need to be especially aware of the local "Snappy Gums."
Mostly growing along the banks of creeks they have many branches just waiting to fall.
If you are chasing gold out Nullagine way a great way to collect wood for your campfire is to hitch your two rope to trunk (make sure it is long enough to be well clear) give the tree a strong sharp tug with your vehicle and the dry wood showers down. The break ends of the dried wood looks like it is petrified because of the harsh dry growing conditions.

I was planning on attending this fishing comp but work got in the way again :| as it turns out I'm glad I didn't go :8 :8

1580546738_img_20200201_194101.jpg

1580546757_img_20200201_194045.jpg

Just happened earlier this arvo I know the young bloke who owns the car, 2nd time in a month and this one finished the job :( Thankfully no one was injured let alone killed word has it there are heaps of trees down all over the joint from Nagambie to Avenel and I'd imagine a few more places. If anyone was detecting around Rushworth, Whroo or Graytown I'm interested to hear how you fared.

Latest posts